none
"Invalid Windows image" error message

Question

• Ever since I force-quit the Windows XP Home Edition on my VMWare Fusion virtual PC for Mac, I've been pestered with one or the other of the following two "Invalid Windows Image" error message scenarios as the Desktop is opening:

1. The message entitled "msmsgs.exe - Bad Image" which reads "The application or DLL C:\ WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_ 6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.6002.22791_x-ww_c8dff154\gdiplus.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette" appears. Clicking the OK button removes it and normal service ensues.

2. The above message appears, followed by a succession of others after every click on OK, preventing normal service and resulting in a competition in which I must try to click on Start / Turn off computer / Turn off before the next error message presents itself and overrides my attempt to close; ie: The same message, but entitled "ACDaemon.exe - Bad Image" or "ArcCon.ac - Bad Image", and a different message entitled "APSDaemon.exe - Bad Image" which reads "The application or DLL C:\ Program Files\ Common Files\ Apple\ Apple Application Support\ CFNetwork.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette".

Is there any way of removing this problem short of a complete reinstallation of my virtual PC and Windows OS?

The error message says "check this against your installation diskette". How is this done and does it enable the problem to be removed? Could someone please provide me with an idiot's guide to the required procedure?
    Friday, July 20, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm which operating system you are running now. Mac or Windows 7? Did you receive the error message in virtual PC? What is the OS in virtual PC?

I suspect the OS is infected with virus. Please do a full scan in Safe Mode first. If the issue persists in Safe Mode, I recommend to do a clean install.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:30 AM