none
Help! SMPT 550 mailbox unavailable errors

Question

• This is a new install (2 seeks old) of Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 (member server in a Win2003 domain). We moved from a hosted solution to our own exchange server. When users were setup in AD, they were created with the domain names and email addresses to match (same as the hosted addresses) As part of the migration, we created new email addresses for everyone (added a . between their names) and made that the new default email address for everybody. The problem is when people send to the new addresses, sometime they go through, sometimes they are bounced back with the messages below. The old addresses (which are not the exchange default addresses) work fine every time.

When the problem exists, if I go to DNSSTUFF.com and do the email test, the old address is fine, the new address reports the same 550 error seen below. Anyone have any ideas?????

Recipient address:myuser@mydomain.com
    Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
    Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
    Remote system: dns;mail.mydomain.com (TCP|100.100.4.196|65323|200.200.218.66|25) (SMTP service ready)

Reporting-MTA: dns;mta1.srv.hcvlny.cv.net (tcp-daemon)

Original-recipient: rfc822;myuser@mydomain.com
    Final-recipient: rfc822;mysuer@mydomain.com
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: dns;mail.mydomain.com
    (TCP|100.1006.4.196|65323|200.200.218.66|25) (SMTP service ready)
    Diagnostic-code: smtp;550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

Friday, February 02, 2007 3:52 PM

All replies

• hi

might wanna look at this article

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=828263

let me know if it was helpful

Friday, February 02, 2007 8:26 PM
  • I already have the firewall set to allow UDP packets up to 1200 bytes. However, I do think the issue is firewall-related. I am pursuing that angle. Thanks!
    Monday, February 05, 2007 3:31 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue but it is only for a new user I created recently... everyone else is fine...

Joe

Testing inbound SMTP mail flow for domain joe@directmediapower.com.
     ExRCA failed to test inbound SMTP mail flow.
     Test Steps
     Attempting to retrieve DNS MX records for domain directmediapower.com.
     One or more MX records were successfully retrieved from DNS.
     Additional Details
     MX Records Host directmediapower.com.pri-mx.na0104.smtproutes.com, Preference 10
    , Host mail.directmediapower.com, Preference 50
    , Host directmediapower.com.bak-mx.na0104.smtpbak.com, Preference 20

Testing Mail Exchanger directmediapower.com.pri-mx.na0104.smtproutes.com.
     One or more SMTP tests failed for this Mail Exchanger.
     Test Steps
     Attempting to resolve the host name directmediapower.com.pri-mx.na0104.smtproutes.com in DNS.
     The host name resolved successfully.
     Additional Details
     IP addresses returned: 174.36.154.100, 208.43.37.100

Testing TCP port 25 on host directmediapower.com.pri-mx.na0104.smtproutes.com to ensure it's listening and open.
     The port was opened successfully.
     Additional Details
     Banner received: 220 tex1-mh335.smtproutes.com kath-5.0.3 ESMTP Ready

Attempting to send a test e-mail message to joe@directmediapower.com using MX directmediapower.com.pri-mx.na0104.smtproutes.com.
     Delivery of the test message failed.
     Additional Details
     The server returned status code 550 - Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Recipient rejected (R4)
    Exception details:
    Message: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Recipient rejected (R4)
    Type: System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException
    Stack trace:
    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, Boolean allowUnicode, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.SmtpMessageTest.PerformTestReally()

• Edited by Joe Albergo Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:33 PM
    Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:32 PM
  • On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 20:32:38 +0000, Joe Albergo wrote:

>I'm having a similar issue but it is only for a new user I created recently... everyone else is fine...
    >
    >
    >Joe
    >
    >Testing inbound SMTP mail flow for domain joe@directmediapower.com. ExRCA failed to test inbound SMTP mail flow. Test Steps Attempting to retrieve DNS MX records for domain directmediapower.com. One or more MX records were successfully retrieved from DNS. Additional Details MX Records Host directmediapower.com.pri-mx.na0104.smtproutes.com, Preference 10 , Host mail.directmediapower.com, Preference 50 , Host directmediapower.com.bak-mx.na0104.smtpbak.com, Preference 20
    >
    >Testing Mail Exchanger directmediapower.com.pri-mx.na0104.smtproutes.com. One or more SMTP tests failed for this Mail Exchanger. Test Steps Attempting to resolve the host name directmediapower.com.pri-mx.na0104.smtproutes.com in DNS. The host name resolved successfully. Additional Details IP addresses returned: 174.36.154.100, 208.43.37.100
    >
    >Testing TCP port 25 on host directmediapower.com.pri-mx.na0104.smtproutes.com to ensure it's listening and open. The port was opened successfully. Additional Details Banner received: 220 tex1-mh335.smtproutes.com kath-5.0.3 ESMTP Ready
    >
    >Attempting to send a test e-mail message to joe@directmediapower.com using MX directmediapower.com.pri-mx.na0104.smtproutes.com. Delivery of the test message failed. Additional Details The server returned status code 550 - Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Recipient rejected (R4) Exception details: Message: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Recipient rejected (R4) Type: System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException Stack trace: at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, Boolean allowUnicode, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.SmtpMessageTest.PerformTestReally()

Do you have an edge server role? Has edge synchronization taken place
    since you added that address?

The 220 banner looks like you're using your ISP as a relay server for
    your domain. Since the status code doesn't include the extended status
    code is it possible that it's that relay server that's rejecting the
    email?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:44 AM