none
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.

Question

•  

NOTE:  My access is through terminal services. 

I received a new server to load my IBM Rational products.  I was able to load ClearQuest, Req Pro and ClearCase with no problems.  Because this machine is being used as a web interface for the products, I needed to also load Crystal Reports XI along with the embedded report server.  Well, I got everything installed but the embedded reports server. 

On my attempt to double click on the file that would extract and install the addins needed I received the error message:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

After some testing I see that if I select any executable associated with installing an application, I get this error.

I've been searching all over the internet for a solution to this proble.  Does anyone know why this happens and what I can do to fix it?

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:30 PM

All replies

• I got the same problem with my new x64 IBM machine when I was trying to install patches. As a quick fix, I found that there is "UNBLOCK" button when you right click on the executable file, which will allow you to install the application.

• Proposed as answer by Hrishi Rao Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:36 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Hrishi Rao Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:37 PM
    Sunday, October 07, 2007 8:04 AM
  • I have the same error message  - windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item - whenever I try to download and install anything from the internet. Just recently about two thirds of the way through installing Adobe Acrobat Reader - It just won't let me download or install anything!

Really annoying as it just randomly started doing this a few days ago.

Please help (I am a real tech novice) , Many thanks in advance  

• Proposed as answer by msvp Friday, July 10, 2009 10:57 AM
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 1:57 PM
  • Are you using citrix?
    If you are see citrix article
    http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX105611

By design you cannot install apps from a networked drive. Try coping them local first or change the registry setting in the citrix article.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Cdm/ Parameters/ExecuteFromMappedDrive

3. To grant users execute permission on mapped drives, set

ExecuteFromMappedDrive to 1.

See how you go.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 2:08 AM
  • I am experiencing the same issue through a Windows 2003 R2 server running terminal services. And I found a solution!!

On the Windows 2003 server, go to add/remove windows components, then uninstall the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security component.

This worked for me!

• Proposed as answer by Aakash Shah Sunday, November 01, 2009 9:10 AM
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:48 PM
  •  

After uninstall the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security component it is working fine. Thanks... Smile

Ganesh Waghumbare

• Proposed as answer by Petr Kasl Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:42 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2007 10:51 AM
  • Thank You Very Much Tymothe,

The Solution works for me ... 

Regards,

Lokey

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:45 PM
  • I had similar problems.  I had to reinstall the C drive from my DC (SBS 2003).  Since I was in a pinch I had to use an older image of the OS drive (all other drives were fine).  This effectively rolled back my server one year on the OS side.  My terminal server had to disjoin and rejoin the domain to reestablish the trust, but then i experienced this same issue for all executables mapped from the terminal server to the DC (which also acts as a file server for one application.

I'll be darned why this happened but this fix did work.
    • Proposed as answer by Jan4u Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:05 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jan4u Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:06 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Can you tell me how to get to the add/remove spot, step by step.  That would be so helpful. 

Thanks!

Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:40 PM
  • After tearing my hair out for over three weeks, this solution worked for me as well. I had a third party application to get working on a new terminal server. Up to this point, the software vendor had installed on a single server acting as both File and Print and providing Terminal services. Everything was fine in that configuration but as soon as a seaparate TS was introduced to the party (as per Uncle Bills recommendations), the application would not run on terminal services. Upon removing IE enhance security from the terminal server, all kicked into life again. Why can't MS have a setting that allows authorised apps to be run from a mapped drive without having to remove a chunk of supposed important security enhancement? Sometimes they do my head in!!!!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:03 PM

• Superb, this worked for me to. Bizzarre though as the error leads you to believe it's a permissions issue.

Thanks,
    Daymo.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:39 PM
  • I have a Server 2000/2003 - Vista Business(client) environment which appear to be having this same issue. The Administrator has full access, members of the Admin Group get this 'permissions' error, and non-Admin users cannot get past the login screen (they are abruptly logged off). I've read about 'removing' IE Enhanced Security, and adding the server to the Trusted Sites Zone of IE, but have either of these solutions worked in a office network environment? Sure, I could do the trial and error thing, but I'm a little hestiant about that because the other Vista Business machines don't have this problem.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:08 AM
  • Hi Tymothe,

Here's a question, what if your computer doesn't have an Internet Explorer Enhanced Security component???!!!???

Do you know the answer to that? I don't, that's why i need help! lol. Or anyone else who sees this of course.

Help would be much appreciated thanks!

Sarina
    Monday, February 25, 2008 5:03 PM
  • To uninstall the offending component, in an XP / 2000 / 2003 systems you will need to go to the Control Panel (From the menu choose , Start, Control Panel), next choose Add/Remove Programs, then on the left side of the Add/Remove programs window you will see Add/Remove Windows components.

Click this and wait a moment, then you can scroll down and locate the IE Enhanced Security component, uncheck it and click next.

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Sarina;

If you are getting the same error, and you are not using a Windows Server, then if might be a permissions issue.  Best practice is to give the share permission of Full control to Everyone, then limit the sub-folder access with more secure permissions.

As a last resort and if you are really stuck, remove all permissions by givien full control to Everyone and make sure you force inheritance to all sub folders.  Realize that when you do this all security is gone, but you can then rebuild it on a folder by folder, group by group basis.  So to be safe, you may want to document the folder security prior to doing this step.  Hope this helps!

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:22 PM
  • Tymothe,

Thanks for the help, however, i am very very confused.

Basically, I am the administrator and evertime I try and download something, that exact message pops up. I've tryed looking for the internet enhanced security in the add/remove windows components, but no such luck as it wasn't there. That last resort turned my brain into mush in other words.

Do you have any other solutions?

Thanks again!

Sarina

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:49 PM
  • What version of Windows are you using?  Have you done ALL of the windows updates?

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Microsoft Windows XP

Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Its an Intel Pentium computer. Erm, not sure about all windows updates, i'll check now

Monday, February 25, 2008 6:01 PM
  • According to what I have seen, Windows XP dosen't have that component, only servers. If you are getting the Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file message on an XP system, it could be a permission issue.

Is this XP unit part of a domain?  If so, could it be controlled by a domain policy that prohibits behaviour of that type on the workstation?

Try this test:

If you are a domain user, try logging in as the domain Admin on the system and try the same process.  If it works then you may need to verify that your user account is a member of the domain admins group.

• Proposed as answer by Keepng Monday, March 30, 2009 3:49 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2008 6:15 PM
  • I have a similar issue.

We are running a Windows 2003 domain and the file server has shared drives.  Whenever a user tries to go to Tools --> Map a Network Drive, the same error message pops up.

I have removed Enhanced Security Components and have verified all uses have the same access.  I am the admin on the domain and I sometimes get this error message.

What else can be done?

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 3:52 PM
  •  

Another Solution
    I read from another post to put the server name in the Trusted Sites zone of IE. i.e.

\\servername

Now all of the .exe's work with no problem...
    • Proposed as answer by Laith M Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:35 AM
    Monday, March 17, 2008 3:01 PM
  • The enhanced security configuration also restricts access to scripts, executable files, and other potentially unsafe files on a UNC path unless it is added to the Local Intranet zone explicitly. For example, if you want to access \\server\share\setup.exe, you must add \\server to the Local intranet zone.
  • When you add a Web page to the Local intranet zone, you are adding the domain for that page. Therefore, all pages within that domain are also added. For example, if you add http://YourIntranetServer/SubWeb to your Local intranet zone, you are adding http://YourIntranetServer.
  • Internet Explorer maintains two different lists of sites for the Local intranet zone. One list is in effect when the enhanced security configuration is enabled, and a separate list is in effect when the enhanced security configuration is disabled. When you add a Web page to the Local intranet zone, you are adding it only to the list that is currently in effect.
Sunday, March 23, 2008 2:58 AM
  • We are in a middle of migrating Groupwise to Exchange.  We were installing our corporate anti-virus to the server but this issue has popped up.  I totally forgot how to solve this, I encountered the same problem many months ago and sorted.

Thank you for refreshing the solution, this really helped.

God Bless.

a11an

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Worked for me ;-)

Monday, March 31, 2008 10:45 AM
  • This worked for me also. Found the answere elsewhere but came back to post this for others. 

I Added the server to the trusted list and I was able to run applications from server. The weird part initially for me was that some users were able to use the application and others could not. Now I see that the ones that could not were new users added after ie7 update.

Windows Server 2003R2 Terminal Server.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 9:38 PM
  •  

Did you have to add the server to the trusted list on all of your workstations or did you just add it to the trusted list on the server in question?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 2:47 PM
  • I have the same error message  - windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item - everytime I want to open a window.Please help me!!Please
    Wednesday, April 02, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Oana Diana,

At the very least, can you post what version of Windows you are running, whether or not you are connected to a Network, and have you attempted to boot the computer into Safe Mode?

Thursday, April 03, 2008 3:37 AM
  • I am running Windows Vista..please help me..I cannot open Control Panel,display settings to change my dispaly theme or whatever..Help me please!!I am connected to the Network yes..Help pleaseeeeee

Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Oana Diana,

I know that it is not safe to assume, but I assume that this is a personal computer of yours in your home? As far as the "Network" is concerned, how many other computers do you have? Also, what type of Internet connection do you have? One final question, what security software do you have installed (antivirus & antispyware)?

Oddly enough, I just had a situation while performing a repair a few days ago where someone's Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 software became corrupted and was not allowing ANY .exe files or programs to run. I couldn't even open any of the Control Panel files, not to mention "msconfig" from the Run command.

Oana, try this and see if it changes anything: Reboot your computer. As soon as you see the brand logo come up (usually the first screen you see), start tapping the F8 key over and over. This will bring up a Boot Options screen (black background with white text). Arrow down and select "Safe Mode". This will load up a diagnostic version of Windows. It turns off all the unecessary programs and only runs what is necessary to function. See if you have open Display Settings/Control Panel from Safe Mode and then let me know what you find out, ok?

Saturday, April 05, 2008 6:38 AM
  • Morning,

Ok, I have Windows XP, and no IE Enhanced Security Component to uncheck.  I am NOT on a network, this is my personal home computer.  I am the administrator and sign on as one.  I can't open executables (MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, Winamp, Windows Live Messenger, etc) without clicking on them many, many times to open. Mention was made to add to my trusted sites, but these aren't sites....????   How do I fix this?

Thanks so much for ANY input at all !!

Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:03 PM
  • Janelle, let us know if you have attempted to boot your computer into Safe Mode. Ususally, when your turn your computer on, as soon as you see the splash screen for the manufacturer, start tapping the F8 key. This should bring up the Boot Options menu. From here, choose Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking. Try to run a couple of the executables mentioned and see if they open. If you are able to open .EXE from Safe Mode, chances are there is a program running in Normal Mode that is preventing files from being run. Another option is that somehow your file permissions became reset, but let's look at possibly an antivirus program blocking it or somethign like this. Let me know about Safe Mode first and then we'll go from there!

Monday, April 14, 2008 2:07 AM
  • I also have this same error message.  I just followed the above instruction for Save Mode and that worked as far as letting me download, but only in safe mode.  Now that I'm back, the message still comes up.  What can I do to fix the problem for good. Thanks.

Friday, April 18, 2008 3:48 PM
  •  

Friday, April 18, 2008 3:49 PM
  • I also have the same error message.  I just finished following the Safe Mode procedure and that allowed me to download, which is great, but now that i'm back, I still get the error. Is there a way to fix this for good?

Friday, April 18, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Synergy, chances are there is a program running in Normal Mode that has prevented access or is changing certain permissions, which explains why you're getting this error message. Please check and see which anti-virus prog you have installed on your computer. If you still have the disc for it, or the ability to re-install it, try to remove it. You "ought" to be able to open the Control Panel and then the Add/Remove Programs link, if you are running Windows XP. I would suggest removing or at least turning off any anti-virus or other "security" software and see if this changes any of your problems. Also, to help us along, do you have Windows Defender installed?

Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Hi all,

Since I started to run the automatic upgrade of Vista SP1, I am experiencing the same error message windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item

I cannot launch anything from desktop, neither from Start>>> ...

On top of this, I cannot even restart the laptop properly, and to go on safe mode I must remove the battery

PLEASE, any suggestions what to do with it???

Thanks!!!

Tim

Monday, April 21, 2008 3:21 PM
  • Tim,

I hate to say this, but you may need to load into Safe Mode, backup all of your files, and then use your Recovery Discs and reload your operating system. Some computers have a Recovery Partition if you don't have your discs. I have had a few friends tell me of some of the bad things that I have happened to their computer since SP1, but then all of the other computer I see in Retail are working fine. There are just too many dang hardware configurations!!! /argh

If you don't already, I would suggest investing in a USB flash drive or an external hard drive so you can save all of your important files and information. From here, you could look into removing just a few programs like security software and see if that makes a difference. Also, follow the steps on the previous pages to check your File Permissions and possibly even Take Ownership of your drive.

Tim, also, are you using this as a Home PC? Do you have any other computers on your network or is this the only one?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:53 AM
  • Many thanks JustaDaKaje, I do appreciate your advise(s) from also previous postings...

Because I was feeling terribly weak last night (GMT+1), couldnt resist but "play" with new toy Dell laptop.  For what's it worth, here are the description of the problem and solution I found:

Problem:

Updating Vista SP1.  Failed during update. After:

• there was no way to access any applications (exe-s) from neither desktop nor going from Start>>> All Programs>>>...  giving error message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appriate administrator permissions."
    • Audio was diabled,
    • majority of icons in tray disapeared.
    • Couldnt do Restart or Shut Down
    • The only was to hybernate it, useless for starting the pc in safe mode
    • Didnt recognize network and couldnt even start it, + other issues I couldnt examine

Solution: (that worked for me)

• Downloaded separately Vista SP1 from a 2nd PC;
    • Had to remove battery from laptop (too bad!!!) in order to make it restart in Safe mode [turn on PC and press several times F8 till safe mode options screen is displayed]
    • Chose Safe Mode with network thus to enable any additional updates
    • Un-installed firewall (COMODO)
    • Run CHKDSK in command prompt just in case - no problems
    • Run SFC /SCANNOW in command prompt just in case - no problems
    • Installed from flash memory the Vista SP1 file (some 434 Mb file, which takes some time)
    • All worked fine, and when ristarted, the laptop was up and running smoothly
    • Re-installed latest version of COMODO firewall

When cantacted Microsoft, aparently they are aware of this issue and they expect it to happen on branded computers (a little dissapointing when you think that branded PC will be the first to test compatibility...)

Hopefully SP2 will be a better one...

Best to all!!!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:18 AM
  • I have been having the same problem. I don't know if you have fixed it yet, but I found a post on another site regarding AVG Antivirus. It said to open AVG, Click Resident shield, add the directory where the application lives (the one that you are trying to open when you get the error message) to the EXCLUDE list, reboot, and it should work. My problem is, I have AVG free edition, which does not allow you to add anything to the Exclude list.

This problem started for me just a few days ago, I am sure something that came through the automatic updates from AVG did it. I don't get the error message all the time, but it happens most when I try to open IE or my email program, Eudora. I close the error box and usually on the 2nd try I can open, but very annoying. I don't know if this is AVG's way of trying to force people to get the paid edition just so they can add the exclusions, but it's irritating!

Good luck, hope that helps.

Jennifer

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Tim,

Glad to hear that you were able to come to a solution. I'm glad to hear that you didn't have to completely re-install just to get things back up and going. Sadly, I've seen quite a few problems recently with the SP1 installation. I had a friend that completely lost control of his mouse AND keyboard... had a lady who's PC would not load past the Mfg splash screen, but when she brought it to me, it was finally loading and then showed the Phase 3 of 3 loading. So yeah, I';m sure there are going to be some concerns that come up with SP1, but we'll get through it!

Jennifer, thanks for the tip with AVG. I'm trying to remember the exact service running from Trend Micro that was causing the blocked .exe files. I found it in Safe Mode, disabled it and then re-booted into Normal Mode and the problem was fixed. Re-enabled it, restarted and the problem was back. I'm sure I could have just searched for a fix with that exact service that was running, but the client's TMAV was expired anyways and she was going to be installing a new software, so I just un-installed, which of course solved teh problem as well.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 3:50 PM
  • I'm glad to give the tip, I wish it worked for me! I am still not even sure if that is the true problem for me. I have XP SP2, it's a home comuter, no network, AVG Free, SpyWare Doctor run each day. Scans show no problems. Just a few days ago, when I click any .exe files, i get the error message that was mentioned earlier (Windows cannot access...). I close the error box and try again and it usually works. Sometimes takes a few tries. I've been searching the web, nearly the entire day, and cannot find a good solution. It seems this problem has many different causes and depending on the system, many fixes, but none that have applied to me yet, with the exception of the possible AVG that I can't fix because I have free version. One web site I read said that it has something to do with antivirus programs, like Avast and some others (AVG was mentioned too). Another site said it had to do with IE7. Another said it corresponded with downloading software from the web. ANother said it came with automatic updates from Microsoft, that something is not compatible with anti-virus software.  It's driving me crazy to be quite honest. The microsoft web site said this error message comes up when you try to open more than one program or file at a time. That's not the case with me either! I've tried switching to safe mode, which I can do, but once I am there, I'm not sure where I am supposed to go to check the permissions that people are talking about. I went on the AVG forums and the AVG moderator didn't seem to think it had anything to do with them. Ugh. No easy fixes.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:04 PM
  • Jenifer, for what's worth:

Luckily you can start yr PC in Safe Mode. Do so, and you may try to unistall one by one certain petential culprits one by one, i.e. AVG, IE7...

A couple of tips: AVG Free version can easily and successfully be replaced by AVIRA, quite helpful and sensitive and not annoying at all antivirus! And it's free, with daily updates. Same you can do with trial version of NOD32 - very powerful AV, but that'll expire every 30-40 days, and it'll simply need uninstall+reinstall. 

If when running XP back in normal mode won't solve the problem, that means that AVG wasn't the culprit. 

Then, insofar surfing through forums on this issue, lots of times firewall could be the culprit / you can try to disable or better uninstall it in safe mode. You can then reinstall replacing freeware versions of ZonaAlarm or Comodo, after hopefully the access issue has been fixed.  If still firewall wasn-t the culprit, try with IE.

IE browser can happily be replaced by Mozilla Firefox, or Opera - both quite stable and less troublesome browesers. Unistalling IE7, in my experience, was downgrading it and not quite easy to be done, therefore when restarting yr PC in Safe Mode, make sure you choose it with network, which would allow to get connected to network.

Give a try...and good luck!!!

Tim

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:59 PM
  • Thanks, I am going to try some of the options. Something else that occurred to me when I started cooking dinner (I do good thinking when I am cooking!)....I ran the defrag a couple of weeks ago and I am positive this started AFTER I did that, although I can't remember how long after...But I think there was about a week from the defrag to when this started happening. Could that have done something?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:15 PM
  • I don't have an option to uninstall the enhanced security feature, but yet, I'm still getting this error whenever I try to open an Access Database (Office 2007).  Any other advice other than the enhanced security feature.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:42 PM
  • Eric,

Can you try to open it through OpenOffice. Base?

Or (painfully...)

If you have the installation CDs for Office 2k7, try to uninstall it, then update the SP1, then reinstall again Office 2k7.

Good luck!

Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:58 PM
  • AVG was the problem for me. Thanks for posting that. I use the Free AVG as well but went to the Virus vault and found the application that would not launch. It was the launcher to the Disney Pirates of the Caribbean online game. AVG had it listed as a SHEur.BHDX virus. All I did was to restore the file and now it works perfectly. I have had this problem before with AVG on another Disney game but that was years ago and since then it has been a good program for me. Hopefully, AVG will fix this issue as they did in the past.
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:55 AM
  • Morning.......sorry it took me so long to respond!   I was able to open all exe files from Safe mode.  Then, I rebooted into normal mode.  I have Spyware Doctor which has never caused this problem before.  I turned off Computer Immunization, On Guard Protection and the Anit-virus engine.  All exe's opened fine.  I then went back and turned each item back on, one at a time and all my exe's open - even with all three turned back on?  Not having any problems now, but may be only temporary...........

I have Windows XP, and also tried to uninstall IE Enhanced Security, but it's not listed.........
    Monday, April 28, 2008 3:50 PM
  • I've been following this topic with no luck on anything offered (and there was reallygood stuff in here!).  After reading about possible issues with AVG, it occurred to me that this started when I enabled the antivirus feature on ZoneAlarm Security Suite.  I disabled it, and the problem disappeard.  Hope this helps someone else!

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:02 PM
  • To all who've tried the latter with no results:

I had the same problem for sometime, unable to install some reliable programs as Adobe Reader 8 and PaintNet. Until I found a technical note in Microsoft KBase, which stupidly I didn't copied and did solve the issue.

The note was under some kind of error message and offered a workaround that didn't have to to anything with the registry, but was directed to change the security settings of Internet Explorer 7 (my case).

It consisted in going into the security tab of the tools menu on the top bar of IE. There you would temporarily change the settings to accept or enable active x signed and not signed, as well as going into the downloads option and enable the "automatic ask if you want to download files".

Then you have to close IE and try running your exe files (which I again downloaded with Mozilla and installed with no further problem).

Your PC will start warning you that you've unsecure settings for IE7, so you'll have to return to the default ones. No problem since I already had installed what I needed.

The reasons for posting this message are two:

first: I need feedback if anyone finds the note, as I want to save it.

second: helping whoever gets so desperate as I was and wants to try these options as I recall them.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Note that this fix ONLY applies to Citrix.  It wont fix this issue for plain TS.
    Friday, June 06, 2008 5:54 AM
  • Thank you for this information.  I had to restore a server and after restoration I ran into the zone issue.  I finally found this tip about putting it into trusted sites or intranet Zone.  Thanks again.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:57 PM
  • The is THE solution ! it works fine for me too.

Without this you can not lauch any setup program or you need to add every rule, share, server... It's a lot of work.

You should be sure about you are installing on your server :-)

Tymothé wrote:

I am experiencing the same issue through a Windows 2003 R2 server running terminal services. And I found a solution!!

On the Windows 2003 server, go to add/remove windows components, then uninstall the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security component.

This worked for me!

Friday, July 25, 2008 1:14 PM
  •  

How to fix real easy and still have Internet Explorer Enchanced security:  Open Internet Explorer, Click "Tools" --> "Internet Options".  Go to the [Advanced] tab.  Click the <Reset...> button.  Click <Reset>.  

I don't know what changes when you do this but it works.  Reset also works with a lot of other IE problems I've had.

• Proposed as answer by miller50 Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:56 PM
    Monday, July 28, 2008 3:57 PM
  • I GET THE SAME PROBLEM! Every time I download WPEPRO at www.wpepro.net , it get the little box that pops up... I tried the AVG thing, the FIREFOX thing, the Internet Explorer Encahnced Security thing, and the internet tools reset thing but NONE of them work! Sad I have a:

Microsoft Windows XP

Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

PLEASE, someone help! 

Monday, July 28, 2008 10:11 PM
  • Thanks for your solution. I was also stuckup with this problem and and with your solution it works. thanks very much 

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:11 AM
  • Thank you!!  After searching all afternoon for help with this problem (no permission to run this file, etc.), I came across your post to uninstall the IE Enhanced Security component, and it worked like a charm.

Just had to shout it out -- thank you for your help!!

Alan
    Friday, August 01, 2008 8:25 PM
  • I've been having this problem for the past couple of week's. But the software I'm installing wasn't that big of a deal. Now, that it's become a big deal, I decided to investigate. The first suggestion worked, look at the General Properties and click the Unblock button. I thought of finding a way to disable it, but why? This seems as a great deterant for someone trying to hack your server. Think about it, how many times do you install software on a server? Is it really that much trouble to right click and click the buttons?

Sunday, August 03, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Microsoft DOES have a way you can run from a remote system without disabling IE Enhanced security. To allow executing things on other servers, you must add the remote resource to your intranet or trusted sites via Internet Explorer Security Options.

The tricky part is that a typical file share needs the FILE protocol, not the HTTP protocol. Let's say you have a server named MYSERVER. And a share on it called INSTALLERS. You bring up windows explorer

\\MYSERVER\INSTALLERS\SOMESETUP.EXE

and try to execute an install, but you cannot.

So then, you go to Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Security, Local Intranet, Sites, and add

\\MYSERVER as a trusted site. It translates this to

file://MYSERVER

Now try again and it will work. And you STILL have your IE Enhanced security in place for threats from the great wild unknown.

Obviously don't add a server you don't trust to your trusted servers Wink

Regards,

David K Allen

Sunday, August 17, 2008 10:44 PM
  • Actually in AVG free you can manage exceptions in the resident shild.  Well at least in 8.0 free you can. Just right click it in the user interface; click open; click the button that says manage exceptions. From this menu you can add what you want to the list of directories to exclude.
    Friday, August 29, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Hi guys,

Problem:

I am also facing the same error.

Not able to execute any kind of executable in any way in normal mode.

I can't even shutdown or restart the system.

Observations

I am able to boot into safe mode and everything is working fine.

But when i go back to normal mode nothing works.

But there are some exceptions i found like:

able to execute anything through "Task Manager"->File->New Task...("Ctrl + Shift + Esc" only. Not thru right clicking on the task bar. [Its not working])

And from the command prompt window (this "cmd" is also has to start thru the above procedure only ).

Origin of the problem:

I am using a software "AutoIT" for scripts.

I compiled one script to executable and tried to execute it. Then it gave the same error as "Windows cannot access....".

Then i tried again and again by clicking so many times and thereafter system is giving the same error for all the executables and for everything.

Information

I have Windows XP Media Center SP2. Comodo Firewall. And Nothing else.

I checked the Comodo Firewall. There is no problem with it. As it is in startup programs and unable to start because of this problem. I checked the processes in task manager also and found nothing suspicious. and ran some system scan in comodo firewall for checking viruses & malwares and nothing found.

Even I uninstalled the AutoIt Software, but of no use.

For Information Purpose the script is very small. Just starts "Internet Explorer" and logs in into some site.

Script

Code Snippet
    Run("D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE")
    WinWaitActive("about:blank - Microsoft Internet Explorer")
    Send("{TAB}www.reliancebroadband.co.in{ENTER}")
    WinWaitActive("Reliance Broadnet - Microsoft Internet Explorer")
    Sleep(1*60*1000)
    Send("somex{ENTER}")
    WinWaitActive("Reliance Broadnet - Microsoft Internet Explorer")
    Sleep(1*60*1000)
    WinClose("Reliance Broadnet - Microsoft Internet Explorer")

Help Needed

I don't know how to solve this. And i don't find any solution for this.

So help is desperately needed.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:04 PM
  • This error displays on my pc and I have narrow it down to ZoneAlarm. It happens randomly and have not figured out why. But if you have ZA, then this may be why. Just sharing for those who can't figure out and this might be the case.

If I will find a solution I will post it.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:59 PM
  •  

Hi,

I hope someone can assist me with this similar problem that i am facing on my Win XP.

I am not sure what i did that caused this error.."Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". Now i can't open any exe files on my desktop or from the program files folder. I can't even shut down, but can only do so by logging out and turning off the computer from there. I can't even access to user accounts and most of the files except opening folders. I was downloading some antivirus software halfway but i cancelled it and then this problem occured or I'm not sure if it was some files that i deleted from the temp directory.

Anyway, once i have logged in,  i noticed the existing antivirus and other programs that run during start up are not loaded. Please please help me. I am not from an IT background so any programming solution might take me a longer time to fix it myself.

Need help urgently.

Thanks.

Regards,

Christy

Friday, September 12, 2008 11:28 AM
  • Thank you very much!  It worked for me too!  On two servers where we were doing a major VOIP upgrade.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:13 AM
  • I found the solution for my problem.

as so many users told this could be a problem with 3rd party application and it stands true in my case.

I have the Comodo Firewall Pro installed.

And that is the one which is causing this accessing error for any kind of executable or any operation.

So i uninstalled it and restarted and everything works fine.

Again i reinstalled Comodo Firewall Pro and everything works fine.

And i faced the same problem in another windows xp installation but a different error "xxxx.exe is not a valid win32 application". The problem started in the same way like the problem "windows cannot accesss...." by clicking so many times on an executable. And it kept on coming for every executable except if you run them from task manager. I don't understand why its working through task manager as the Comodo will check all executable files which are starting.

Hence the same uninstallation & reinstallation i did and everything working fine.

Thank you guys.

• Proposed as answer by _Antares Monday, June 28, 2010 2:49 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:50 PM
  • Just now i understood the problem also.

It has nothing do with how many times you clicked on the executable.

In Comodo one can specify the permissions for each policy like things like (Trusted Application, Windows System Appl, Isolated Application...).

When the first time i double clicked on the file it asked which kind of appl is it? and it gave me only 3 options. (Browser, Windows, Isolated) and it asked the dialog for explorer.exe not for the executable i am going to run as the explorer.exe will start this particular executable. and MISTAKENLY without checking whose permissions i was setting and thinking that i was setting permissions of the executable i am running, chosen Isolated appl. And isolated appls won't have some privileges hence Comod is not allowing me to do anything which is instanciated through explorer.exe. Thats why i can instanciate anything through task manager and all as they are not blocked by Comodo with these settings.

At last i understood the problem (Silliest). Its my MISTAKE not the systems.

• Proposed as answer by _Antares Monday, June 28, 2010 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:04 PM
  • I have tried a lot of the suggestions in this thread and this is the solution that worked for me.   I have the Agnitum Outpost firewall on Windows XP.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it and the issue with not being able launch any of my applications is gone.  Thanks for your help and ideas, everyone!

Saturday, September 20, 2008 1:55 AM
  • Wow! Thank you very much.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Look for my solution further down the forum.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:54 PM
  • You are very welcome.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:56 PM
  •  Tim-1212 wrote:

Eric,

Can you try to open it through OpenOffice. Base?

Or (painfully...)

If you have the installation CDs for Office 2k7, try to uninstall it, then update the SP1, then reinstall again Office 2k7.

Good luck!

Saturday, October 04, 2008 3:52 AM
  • Hello guys,

i had the same problem and after reading this thread i found simple solution. Just get rid of that stupid IE7 and everything is working just fine again.

Hope this solution will help to most of you.
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 7:18 AM
  • Thanks very much for sharing this solution, saved me many hours of frustration and time. Worked like a charm.

Megabyterudy

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:50 PM

• i created an account just to thank you for the answers. the IE security removal fixed me. Thanks so much.

george

Thursday, October 23, 2008 2:42 PM
  • I have the same problem at some Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 edition service pack 2 machines (Intel 64bit).

It did help to some extend to uninstall the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Component, I have tryed to add servers i want to run programs from both to trusted sites and Local intranet in the security section of the internet properties.

Now i can start the .exe from other servers in my network, but only if i do it in the gui, My problem is that i have a service application to load some batch processes, which some of them in fact is .exe programs at another server. I still get access is denied when i try to to start .exe programs from another server via my service-app.

Does anybody have any ideas to how i can solve this?

Kindly Regards Ken madsen

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:47 AM
  • hello...im sharing the same problem

i have Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1...and i have the same problem "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may have not the appropriate permissions to access the item."I cant access most of .exe files from my pc, i cant access the USB drive, i cant do anything. First i thought that a firewall thing or windows defender but not. i tried anything i saw on formus...useless. I have the last hp pavillion dv7 1020us and i cant use it...its sad

And a second problem is that i cant copy any .exe on my pc.."Destination folder access denied"... and i have to choose between TRY AGAIN ( and repeats the error) or Cancel

I am the owner and the administrator...help cuz im going insane

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:50 PM
  • this worked.   thx

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:47 PM
  • I had a similar problem. The only way I managed to fix it was to uninstall the free AVG antivirus software I had installed on my pc. Then after a reboot, I could then run the .exe file which was causing me problems. Hope this helps...

I had previously tried to turn off the AVG software etc, but this did not work. I had to uninstall it in the end.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:22 PM
  •  

i dont have AVG or another antivirus program or firewall or spywear
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:07 AM
  • Worked and I've had this problem for over a year being told "Don't know"

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 7:20 PM
  •  Tymothé wrote:

I am experiencing the same issue through a Windows 2003 R2 server running terminal services. And I found a solution!!

This worked for me!

Worked for me too!

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 10:51 PM
  •  mykey651 wrote:

hello...im sharing the same problem

i have Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1...and i have the same problem "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may have not the appropriate permissions to access the item."I cant access most of .exe files from my pc, i cant access the USB drive, i cant do anything. First i thought that a firewall thing or windows defender but not. i tried anything i saw on formus...useless. I have the last hp pavillion dv7 1020us and i cant use it...its sad

And a second problem is that i cant copy any .exe on my pc.."Destination folder access denied"... and i have to choose between TRY AGAIN ( and repeats the error) or Cancel

I am the owner and the administrator...help cuz im going insane

I'm basically having this same issue, except I have Windows XP Professional installed.  I recently reinstalled XP and now I can't get the deivers to load from an external hard drive.  The system won't recognize the files and it won't read the Dell disk with drivers on it either.  I get the error  "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may have not the appropriate permissions to access the item" when i try to run the drivers from my USB HHD.  I dont' have an antivirus software installed or a firewall activated.  I've been messing with this for like 3 days now and going crazy!   I can't even install my DSL on the computer because the DSL Installer CD won't recognize my ethernet port.  I assume I need to install some drivers, but can't.  I was told to install the Chipset Driver first, but I can't get it installed since the computer doesn't recognize the file type.  It's weird because it will execute some .exe files, but not the drivers.  Does anyone have any suggestions???  I would appreciate any help.  Thanks!!

Friday, November 07, 2008 3:34 AM

• I've been this issue for a a while, actually I uninstalled the IE enhanced Security component, but was not luck to resolve this issue.
    Basically I thought this issue is caused by the security setting of IE, somehow we changed or it's changed by installing some Add-in.
    What step I took to resolved my issue were by  click the IE Advanced tab, and click reset. after that the unlock icon is still on the exe file's properties, but you don't need click it before you run it.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 5:29 PM
  • try this

I had this same issue, I just added the entire server path to the trusted sites in IE7, then everything worked normal.
    In trusted sites i added
    \\servername\

Then it showed up as file:\\servername in the list (obviously)

...hope that helps someone...

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:07 AM
  •  

try this

I had this same issue, I just added the entire server path to the trusted sites in IE7, then everything worked normal.
    In trusted sites i added
    \\servername\

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:09 AM
  •  Daveyuk wrote:

I have the same error message  - windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item - whenever I try to download and install anything from the internet. Just recently about two thirds of the way through installing Adobe Acrobat Reader - It just won't let me download or install anything!

Really annoying as it just randomly started doing this a few days ago.

Please help (I am a real tech novice) , Many thanks in advance  

try this

In trusted sites i added
    \\servername\

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:13 AM
  • i solved the problem Smile

1. install the vista again and no aditional program

2. if u have Live One Care...uninstall it i think that is the problem

now my laptop is allow me to do anything i want...Wink

Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:47 AM
  • You are awesome!!!  I was going in circles trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and all along it was Microsoft... Go figure!

Thanks again for this posting... Much Love!

Friday, November 21, 2008 4:02 AM
  • Hello, I'm not an expert but I do get this error message when I use a pdf extension in my wiki that transforms a web page into a pdf file: in case there are images in the web page, they are not displayed in the pdf document.

I am able to click on the spot where the image should be and get a message saying "The application Image.jpg is set to be launched by this pdf file. The file may contain programs, macros or viruses... Open the file if you are sure that it is safe.. Click Open to view the file".

As soon as I click on "Open" I get the famous message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". Finally I get a message from Adobe Reader "Could not open Image.jpg".

I have IE7 and Adobe Reader 8. I have reviewed and tried to change all IE security settings, I have allowed Adobe preferences in the Trust manager but nothing works.

Has anybody ever encountered the problem? Thank you very much. 

Monday, November 24, 2008 10:32 AM
  • Don't need to uninstall the IE security enhance. just add your file server in the trust site in IE. tools -> Internet Options -> security, click 'Trusted sites' and add your file server in it.
    I think your IE version is 7. this issue could occur on IE 6
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:43 AM
  • ok not totaly lit...I have tried some of the suggestions. Went into Safe mode, added web site to IE security.

This is a home laptop, wireless connect card, vista, not networked, I have Norton 360 protection.

I have gone and looked at the properties for the file and it says I have permissions (I guess I did that correctly). Actually I am running it under admin log in. My issue is with running TV shows from network web sites, like CW and FOX. I have contacted the manufacture of the player, Move Networks but they have not responded. NBC and ABC are fine with running shows.

C

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 8:13 PM
  •  

Followed that thread, I do not show IE Enhanced Security. 

I am on Service Pack 3, running Windows XP Home Edition 5.1  Like so many, I am getting pattern baldness from this. The pattern is swear, and pull my hair out!

Saturday, December 06, 2008 4:31 PM
  • That was very helpfull. it worked for me.!!

Rayden

Monday, December 08, 2008 4:24 AM
  •  

Okay I keep seeing "just add your file server in the trusted site in IE tools".  I have XP and I have tried absolutely EVERYTHING else, so this is my last hope. I know how to get to the trusted sites via IE tools, and I know the proper way to add something to the trusted sites.  HOWEVER, I have no idea what the name of "my" file server is!   I'm amazed that apparently everyone else seems to know his/her file server.  I guess I'm in the "need to know" school of thought, as I've never needed to know the name of my file server...until now.  

Please could someone tell me how to find out the name of this file server that is apparently mine?  This is a work computer that I didn't set up.  It has a shared drive and apparently LOTS of servers (according to a co-worker).  Is there a path, command or method I could use to zero in on the name of the particular file server that I need to add to trusted sites so that I'll no longer get the "windows cannot access the specified device..." error?  If so, I'd really appreciate this information.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 1:32 AM
  • By the way, I have an administrator account, and this issue happened when I installed google desktop.  I was able to install it, but cannot access it AT ALL.  The google desktop exe file showed up on my desktop, but when I click it, I get the dreaded message.

Those of us with XP do NOT have the option of de-selecting IE Enhanced Security--because no such option exists with XP, nor can we push "reset", as no such button exists with XP.  As I mentioned, this is a work computer.  Yes there is a firewall and anti-virus protection, but I am disallowed from uninstalling or even tweaking these security measures.  I've tried the "unblock" trick, and I've also modified the file ownership and security rights to grant my administrator account full ownership, with God-like control over as many folders and files I could find that seem remotely connected to google desktop.

Oh, and I can't even uninstall google desktop because, whenever I try accessing the "uninstall" feature, you guessed it, I get the same insidious, infuriating message..."Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file." 

I just noticed that this particular problem stands out among most of the others.  It's relatively new and yet has had 103,670 views!   The problem is huge and I wish Microsoft would address it.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 2:16 AM
  • Anyone out there?

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 6:20 PM
  • Ran into this "cannot access/appropriate permissions" issue recently:  anyone who rdp'd into terminal server (SBS'03) couldn't run apps that had been working just fine. 
    This did NOT affect ALL apps, only some apps that reside on another inhouse SBS'03 server. 
    Tried the trusted intranet location thing in the IE7 that lives on the termserver, but only added the SBS03 servername to the intranet trusted list, and this appears to have fixed it! 

Thanks to all who mentioned it!

The "bug" seem to have occurred after an upgrade to DataAccess Visual Datflex 2008 (VDF 14.0 from VDF 12.0), but an upgrade to Symantec BackUpExec 12.5 occurred in close proximity, so who knows what happened in the dark?

Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:20 PM
  • Hello

I got this error today, I have not installed any new programs over the last week neither have I removed any. My antivirus runs a scan at 2:00 every morning and today I wake up look at the report and it tells me 18 files could not be accessed. (I have bitdeffender 2008 game safe.) Didn't really take note of that, then when I tried to open one of the .exe files it gives me this error.

So then I go and try look up this error up, find this and read through it and followed every step. But I do not have IE. I am currently using Windows XP home.

So now I have just restarted my pc and it does it's own check befor the XP screen appears. Those .exe files that could not be accessed are all now gone, removed. For me the only way I can fix this is by reformatting :S Or is there another way?

Thanx Mike.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:24 AM
  • the following solution works in my case:

Right click on the executable and choose 'Properties' and look to the bottom of the 'General' tab. Here you should find an 'Unblock' button provided to allow normal access to the executable.

source: http://www.helpero.com/Questions-and-answers/Computers/Windows/-Windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file-You-may-not-have-the-appropriate-permissions-to-access-the-item-How-to-fix-this_8473.html

br,
    -rst
    • Proposed as answer by jdlele Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:07 AM
  • here is the solutions which worked for us (windows 2003 terminal server, citrix presentation server 4.5, enhanced security conf. was already disabled):

1.       Open Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.

2.       On the Security tab, click Internet, and then click Custom level.

3.       Search for "Launching applications and unsafe files", click to enable “Prompt (recommended)

source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959079/en-us

it's stupid: you must change the INTERNET settings to start an installation on a local drive.

greetings,
    CU01
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:04 PM
  • hi,

after my laptop (running on xp) crashed i turned it off and on again (by holding down the power button).

upon reboot a blue error screen flashed up for only a second then the computer restarted itself before asking me how i wanted to boot windows. i selected 'last known configs that worked' and then i logged on. but now i can't access barely ANY FILE/PROGRAM/ because it gives the aforementioned error message. for some reason it allows me to open IE and any other browser if i select it from the 'internet' part of the start menu, but it doesn't let me open it if i try to open it via the desktop/programs menu/or by going directly to the root (c\program files\etc.).

furthermore it doesn't let me open any files/programs on my external hard drive (xp installed on the local drive), and it seems to open and run programs that are scheduled to run on startup, but won't let me run them manually ... ARGH

i am also unable to run system restore, nor can i access control pannel utilities unless im in safe mode...

i have tried taking 'ownership' of the program files folder and that hasn't made a difference, and the solutions mentioned earlier concerning IE settings/security enhancer haven't made any difference whatsoever.. furthermore as a tech novice the other solutions have gone completely over my head as i don't understand a single word!!! :'(

i am in a real predicament since i am currently living in paris (as an english person, who speaks french but not computer french!!, and since windows is in default english im guessing that the vast vast majority of french computer repair people wouldn't understand the language), and im not able to return to england for another six weeks... EVEN WORSE: my laptop didnt come with any reinstallation cds whatsoever so the only way of reinstalling would be to d/l windows 7 :S

can ANYONE help me!?!?!

thanks

tom
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Ok i have found a solution that fixed it for me - in my case it seemed to be a registry file that somehow managed to get deleted: i found on another forum that if you go here http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and d/l the 12th tweek on the left hand side (EXE (link and reg) fix for xp). save the file as a .reg file and open it, clicking yes when asked to add to the registry. it worked straight away for me...

p.s i cannot wait to get a non windows computer... sigh...

good luck everybody with this problem!!
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 5:51 PM
  • I was experiencing the same problem on a Windows 2003 Server w/ SP2 installed. I was attempting to run an executable from our file server on this 2003 server. The exe files was to launch a program, not for any sort of install. I attempted with run the same exe file from a laptop running XP Pro w/ SP3 installed and had no problems at all - I was logged into both systems using the same account so I knew it wasn't an actual permissions issue.

After reading all of the possible solutions, I added the server to the trusted intranet sites in IE 7, logged off and then back on to the system. The exe file ran with no problems at that point. thanks for everyone's assistance and posts.

Gol-Raid
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:42 PM
  • I had the same problems as stated.

Based on advice given here, I removed Citrix and also disengaged my antivirus (Bitdefender) and everything started working normally.  When I turned back on my antivirus is started conflicting again.  I totally removed Bitdefender and reinstalled it and now everything is back to sync.

Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by jdlele Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:23 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 12:08 PM
  •  

If you are a domain user, try logging in as the domain Admin on the system and try the same process.  If it works then you may need to verify that your user account is a member of the domain admins group.

For windows XP, this Solution works! 

• Proposed as answer by jdlele Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:22 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:51 AM
  • Hello guys & girls. This is how you correct this problem. Go simply to your Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> And change your Security "Medium-High". This worked for me, I got it on High, cause I was getting annoying popups all the time. But then then I did get this error message, now it is gone. Good luck! 
    • Proposed as answer by beastieman Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:55 AM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:58 PM
  • windows blows for real!
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:56 AM
  • Thanks alot Tymothe.  Worked great for me!!

Take Care!

Rgds,

Muzamil
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Disable anitvirus.

I have Norton Internet 2008 and that what my prob was. Disabled it and all was fine.

This was on a Vista machine
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:23 AM
  •   Thanks Peace!
    Your solution was the one that I needed - thanks so much for posting!
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:22 PM
  • I can't find the path you provided in regedit !
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 6:45 AM
  • I can't find the path you provided in regedit !

Hi Friends

I have similar problems Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. These accurs with a system (PC1) which is runing on win xp pro (SP3). Whenever I try to login into the system with user ID or admin user i am not able to execute any programs.

So I loged in the domain using another pc (PC2) with same user ID's (sales & admin (both have admin powers on the domain)). I was able execute all the things.

And if i am logged in as administrator with domain on to the local machine than i am able to everything.

When i go back to that same computer (PC1) and check the settings under internet explorer, than i was shocked to see that under security tab it only show Resctricted sites zone & no other zone like (Internet, Local Intranet & Trusted sites).

I have removed my antivirus and checked if that was creating any problem but it was of no help. I have also clicked on unblock button on one of the exe file but that did not helped at all.

now when i changed the sales user rights to power user on the client itself (on on the server) every thing is functioning right only the user cannot install any software which he requires.

Please help as failing to uderstand what i can do next

Regards
    manish
    Monday, May 25, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Hi Tymothé

I have similar problems Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. These accurs with a system (PC1) which is runing on win xp pro (SP3). Whenever I try to login into the system with user ID or admin user i am not able to execute any programs.

So I loged in the domain using another pc (PC2) with same user ID's (sales & admin (both have admin powers on the domain)). I was able execute all the things.

And if i am logged in as administrator with domain on to the local machine than i am able to everything.

When i go back to that same computer (PC1) and check the settings under internet explorer, than i was shocked to see that under security tab it only show Resctricted sites zone & no other zone like (Internet, Local Intranet & Trusted sites).

I have removed my antivirus and checked if that was creating any problem but it was of no help. I have also clicked on unblock button on one of the exe file but that did not helped at all.

now when i changed the sales user rights to power user on the client itself (on on the server) every thing is functioning right only the user cannot install any software which he requires.

Please help as failing to uderstand what i can do next

Regards
    manish
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Yep.....it worked for me too

just puted my server name in the trusted sites zones of IE and everything is fine now!!

the probe begun when i updated to IE 8....

thanks for the help!
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:51 PM
  • Hi every one,

I've got the same problem...
    BUT
    I've got  Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit and IE 8.... I've got all updates... And i've got new home pc and don't share network like people were saying at the top...
    I've got Windows Security and Farewall turned off... And i'm using AVG Free but even if it's fully off its still gives me THE massege...
    But some of the programs doesn't work.... Lately when i downlode in rar or zip full game or a keygen program it gives me this messege.... But everything else is working....

Can anyone help me with this problem, please!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks,
    Iryna
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:22 AM
  • HI :)))))))))))))))))))

I'm going to answer on my own question lol lol lol
    I went to add/remove programs and fully uninstal AVG :))))))))))))))))))))))))
    It WORKED......

There must be some setting on AVG to protect your PC even when you don't need it......

GOOD LUCK to every one
    Iryna ^_^
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 10:03 AM
  • OMFG THANKS SO MUCH i unistalled AVG 8.5 Free on XP AND This let me use all the programs i could use TYSM!!!! I love you (In a Helping way =])
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:17 PM
  • HI Sarina_nl

You can solve that error by simply doing follwing

1) Open internet explorer
    2) Go to Tools > Options > Securty Tab > Select Internet and Set the security level for this zone to medium.

It will work for sure.

Thanks
    Hetal Patel
    www.14gaam.com

Het
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:35 PM
  • I have the same problem but were do you find the executable file???

Sunday, July 05, 2009 1:37 PM
  • reply??
    Friday, July 10, 2009 10:58 AM
  • i found an easy fix but not sure why i didnt think of it sooner if you goto your internet explorer propertys you can fix it from there goto securty click on default levels i did that an now it will let me download anything i need now cause if the level of security is up all the way it wont let you do anything so have it as default an it will work fine
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:11 PM
  • The full message, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." may be seen on Windows XP SP2 systems with certain security restrictions in place. This is normally due to a flag placed on the file as a result of being moved from another computer or network.

Right click on the executable and choose "Properties" and look to the bottom of the "General" tab. Here you should find an "Unblock" button provided to allow normal access to the executable.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:41 PM
  • Here is what worked for me.

This occured on XP not Server 2003.

Went to file properties of iexplorer.exe file under Program Files and Internet Explorer and added permission for user profile.  Everyone was already on list but still needed to add specific user to list.

Thursday, August 06, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Actually the easiest way to allow installations if you are having a problem like this is to go into Internet Explorer, Security, Trusted Sites and add in a trusted site as the server your connecting to. IE: add in FILE://fileservernamehere and then you should be able to install from a mapped drive on that server no problem.

Basically it is a permission error, just not a windows permission error, it's an enhanced IE permission error... yay confusing M$

HTH
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Thanks this was very helpful... Uninstalling the IE Enhanced Security component
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:26 PM
  •  

How to fix real easy and still have Internet Explorer Enchanced security:  Open Internet Explorer, Click "Tools" --> "Internet Options".  Go to the [Advanced] tab.  Click the <Reset...> button.  Click <Reset>.  

I don't know what changes when you do this but it works.  Reset also works with a lot of other IE problems I've had.

This worked for me.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Thank you harrisrohan.  The "Unblock" solution worked for me.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Tymothe!!! You are the MAN!!! Works like a charm...
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Recently I have had the message windows can't access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item; This message appears whenever i try to open executable files so I'm rendered helpless. I can't change anything on the control panel either. I've searched the web and found that my problem was due to a IE enhanced security and the solution was to uninstall it from windows components, but I can't use control panel! The other solution was to lower the security setting on local intranet but that's in control panel as well! I'm the administrator on my account but the other two users aren't, so i can't fix it from their profiles. The security setting also has it so i can't download anything and to fix it i have to have access to the control panel, i've tried everything and i'm not going to give up but i need some help so i can sleep with a clear mind. 

Another solution was "IE Enhanced security is important on the server as it will prevent most spy-ware from getting installed. You can actually leave it installed and just change one setting in the IE Security Tab Internet Zone called;Launching applications and unsafe files to Prompt (recommended).  

I would change it in internet options in tools but i don't even have tools on my explorer and i can't download a new IE 7 because it won't let me!
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Recently I have had the message windows can't access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item; This message appears whenever i try to open executable files so I'm rendered helpless. I can't change anything on the control panel either. I've searched the web and found that my problem was due to a IE enhanced security and the solution was to uninstall it from windows components, but I can't use control panel! The other solution was to lower the security setting on local intranet but that's in control panel as well! I'm the administrator on my account but the other two users aren't, so i can't fix it from their profiles. The security setting also has it so i can't download anything and to fix it i have to have access to the control panel, i've tried everything and i'm not going to give up but i need some help so i can sleep with a clear mind. 

Another solution was "IE Enhanced security is important on the server as it will prevent most spy-ware from getting installed. You can actually leave it installed and just change one setting in the IE Security Tab Internet Zone called;Launching applications and unsafe files to Prompt (recommended).  

I would change it in internet options in tools but i don't even have tools on my explorer and i can't download a new IE 7 because it won't let me!
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:55 PM

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:56 PM

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:56 PM
  • I had the same error message - windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3

After trying several web posted solution without success, I began to look for what recently have changed in my PC. I came to the solution:

I found Access Protection, which I recently changed to maximum, was the cause. I removed Virus Scan McAfee 8.5i and reinstalled to standard protection and every thing worked fine.

Hope this helps.  

Thanks to all who contributed, which helped to resolve my problem.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:38 AM
  • I had the same problem on an XP Home pc after getting a virus. The virus must have changed some settings to not allow access to control panel items. After removing the virus, I ran http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313222 which returned all security settings back to normal again. I can now get back into control panel apps again.
    • Proposed as answer by rdandrade Monday, August 31, 2009 1:39 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:39 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue through a Windows 2003 R2 server running terminal services. And I found a solution!!

This worked for me!

Hi
    I am using windows server 2003 SP2 and IE8,  (actually I am using this machine as my personal computer not as a server)
    I am getting this messgae
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file" while trying to install a downloaded setup.exe file from microsoft site. I downloaded the files into a local folder and then tried to install it.
    I am log in as administrator and this file and folder has full permission.
    I tried  this, "go to add/remove windows components, then uninstall the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security component"

but it didn't work.
     Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Swapna
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:35 PM
  • This fixed my problem!! Thanks!!! you saved my life!!
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:46 PM
  • Use runas as a workaround... runas /u:domain\username \\server\share\app.exe You'll be prompted for a password then away you go! This works when using the same or a different user than the one you're logged in with.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:19 PM
  • I got this error for the second time today. I couldn't open any programs, including the Control Panel,
    the shutdown buttons weren't functioning and the log off button wasn't working either. I tried adding
    permissions for everyone in the Security tab in Properties (Right click folder, properties) -- the only
    program I could open was Windows Explorer (although internet did not work either) -- it would not
    allow me to change permissions at all, they would reset back to none after I hit apply.

My Solution: Reboot your computer.

Everything works now miraculously. I also did not have the IE Security Enhancement component.

Better solution: avoid using Windows (?)

Edit: Forgot to mention, I am using Win XP Pro SP3. I hope this helps.
    • Edited by Hirosama Monday, November 02, 2009 6:47 PM added OS info
    Monday, November 02, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Thanks a lot. Its working fine
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Right click on the file... Unblock button in the bottom right?
    Monday, November 09, 2009 4:50 PM
  • In my case, Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2,  add the path (like \\server\folder\folder2) to the Trusted Sites of IE/Options/Security and the error disappear.

Hope helpful.

Xiaofeng Wang | http://www.leoworks.net | Beijing P.R.C
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:19 AM
  • Hi,

Your Message is wonderfull. This worked for me!. Thanks A LOT for this.

Mohindra Kaushal

Saturday, December 05, 2009 6:47 AM
  • i dont even use ie i use fire fox i only have one login and thats me and i get the error mesage like my pcs refusing form me to use a programe only happens with some programes that have parst to them that pc might recognise as keyloggers but dosn't even say so i have no idea whats wrong
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 9:14 AM
  • thanx tymothe.

i kept gettin a pop up box  sayin "windows cannot access the specified device path or file. you may not have appropriate permissions" whenever i tried to update or download anythin. i have been rackin my brain for a few months now & couldnt work out what to do. i tried everythin & after readin tymothe's reply i thought i would try this.

This is what i did. As i dont use internet explorer, i wouldn't expect it to cause a problem to my server which is firefox. so i launched internet explorer, then i went into TOOLS, then internet options, then click on advanced which should give you a box with the word settings above it. all you have to do now is click the reset button which is near the bottom on the right. once this is done everythin should be ok. :D
    • Proposed as answer by rob28882 Sunday, December 06, 2009 9:52 PM
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 9:52 PM
  • I wasted nearly half of my days time in searching and wondering what could the problem BUT your tip above (UNBLOCKING) solved my problem and misery THANKS a lot 
    God Bless! 
    "Merry Christmas to and your family and Happy New Year"
    Friday, December 25, 2009 10:53 AM
  • thanks your solution working
    • Proposed as answer by kdog1 Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:01 AM
  • FYI- Uninstall Enhanced Security. Then it might take a reboot. It did for me.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Sudo -Run What i Tell You To Run Regardless!

I am done with microsoft/windows.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:44 AM

This worked for me!

I actually had to install the Enhanced Security component and the remove it. Then it worked.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:17 AM
  •  IE - Security - Reset all zones to default level is simpler and work for me.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:53 PM
  • I cannot access the Add/Remove Programs area of the Control Panel.  Is there some other way to Uninstall Enhanced Security?
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:32 PM
  • I too am getting the same error.

I'm trying to build an image but have run into nothing but issues.

Running XP pro SP3

I've reset the IE settings as suggested and rolled back to IE7 from IE8.

While logged on as the administrator everything functions. Once you login as user from the domain however you are met with the error

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have permissions to access the item."

This occurs when trying to open anything at all from Excel to even the calculator or MS paint.

I've had to run vulnerability scans on the machine using eEye Digital Security scanner and believe something it hit on may have locked things down for users but I don't see anything that strikes me as a possible other than the "Access this computer from the network" user right assignment in the GPO which is set to Admin and users.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

• Proposed as answer by omniwatch Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:47 AM
    • Proposed as answer by omniwatch Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:47 AM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Hi,
    I am using Win 7 ultimate version...There are only 2 user profile created...One is for me and the other is for Guest.
    My system did not have Adobe flash player so  I decided to download it ..I am usng google chrome browser...
    I downloaded it successfully however when I try to run the application it gives me an error saying windows cant access the specified device ,path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. 
    Please suggest me what I need to do ?  
    thank you.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:21 PM
  • That's really strange.  I was having the same problem in trying to install VC9 redistributables.  I had to right click on the file, go to properties, and then click the UNBLOCK button.

That's so wierd.

I've never seen anything like that before.

-Nick
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:36 PM
  • Hi Baringmo,

Did it work for you ?

Even I tried to unblock it however it did not work ?

Regards,

Cody Zee

Friday, March 19, 2010 8:56 PM
  • If you are running AVG anti virus, try this:

Open AVG

Go to Components, Resident shield and click Manage Exceptions and add folder of program to Resident Shield - Directory Excludes.

Restart the computer. When AVG warns about thread click allow.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:49 AM
  • For me it was my security application, right after disabling it, everything works just fine.
    Monday, April 05, 2010 2:57 PM
  • make shure you are opennin file with correct program (open with)
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:46 PM
  • Please try this. This worked for me..

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1262

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:38 AM
  • yes for me too, i was working with a windows xp (hp ) machine, trying to install a printer and i was getting access denied and a weird error, also after noticing that i couldnt install any other programm because of permissions, had to look up on the web and found this article which gave me the idea to disable mcaffee(enterprise version) , i even got ACcess denied on that!, so i ended up uninstalling mcaffee and the printer is installing fine......THANKS!
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:01 PM
  • AND I GOT THE SAME ERROR IN MY HOME COMPUTER, SO NOW I KNOW NOT TO REINSTALL WINDOWS WHICH I WAS DRAGGING MY SELF TO DO, YEI! HATE/LOVE WINDOWS...
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:02 PM
  • This is what worked form me... I have a Windows Home Server, I downloaded an executable from the internet into my personal computer, then I decided to move this executable to the Windows Home Server to install the program there. As soon as I tried to run it, I will get the error "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file".

The solution: Right-click on the executable, you'll see the option to "Unblock" the executable, you should be able to run the program now. I am not sure about other Windows servers, however Windows Home Server blocks executables that are copied from other computers, it is a security feature.

Good luck!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 12:52 PM
  • i have reformat my computer but some of my old filed is still there but when i click on them it say that Windows cannot access the specified device,path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.please help me i really want those file.or send me a mail xavierewan@ymail.com
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:06 AM
  • For above mentioned problem right click executable file and select property. In General tab you found bleow advance tab, a UNBLOCK tab. Click on that tab to unblock file for execute.

After that you able to install application.

Mahesh D. Rajiwade

System Administrator

• Proposed as answer by Sojan Monday, April 26, 2010 7:08 AM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 6:55 AM
  • I was having the issue with running the setup and was giving the same error, I have uninstall the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security component and it did not work.

I went to Tools-Internet options-Security and added my IP in trusted site and it worked for me, I have no idea how!!!!

Monday, April 26, 2010 7:12 AM
  •  

Another Solution
    I read from another post to put the server name in the Trusted Sites zone of IE. i.e.

\\servername

This made it for me.
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:53 PM
  • I'm getting this problem on Windows 7. Confusingly, while I can open executables and batch files just fine, I can't open image files. I can't open folders on the desktop by double clicking, but I can open them by right clicking and selecting "open," and once in the file browser the error doesn't impede navigation. I can browse folders within the start menu okay, but I can't directly open folders. Nor can I open Control Panel, the Update Manager, or the Add/Remove Programs tool ... even via command prompt.

I have no problems downloading files, and the permissions on all the files I've checked look fine. I don't use IE, and I uninstalled AVG yesterday in hopes that it would help. (It didn't.)

Um ... help? This is very frustrating.

Thursday, May 06, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Thank you zakimsain.

In my case WinSeerver 2003 I right clicked and wnt into the Properties thing, there it was an "unblock" feature.

Regards to you all

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Some testing has revealed that this bug does not appear on any new user accounts I create; it's only on mine. This is good, but I am still very confused.
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Tymothe, this worked a treat! Thanks!!
    Monday, May 17, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Another way is to open Command prompt and run the exe from there.
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Ok, I have tried so many things that i actually understood how to do. Im not so "tech" lol Im running windows vista home premium. Just yesterday I recovered my pc to out of the box state. So everything was gone. I downloaded sims and went to TSR to download sims2packs. I went to open them and i had this same error message. Keep in mind this never happened before i did this recovery. I have not had this error message with anything else so far I have installed many things. I noticed it will let me save but will not let me open. I right clicked the saved file and "unblocked" it I got the same error message. I uninstalled the IE7 update. I have Avira installed. Any help would be so appreciated. I have tried so many things and can not fix this problem. Thanks so much for reading this.

* I am Admin the only user on my personal p.c

• Proposed as answer by shughes05 Friday, June 04, 2010 5:24 PM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 3:06 PM
  • I just fixed my issue by doing the following. I went into the folder properties of all locations the application accesses and took ownership of the folders. closed down and reopened the folder properties and set my user account to have full access. Once I did this I could start up my application.
    Friday, June 04, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Removing the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security worked for me in the past, but not in my present situation.

However when I made the adjustment to Trusted Zones as suggested above, it worked fine.  Thank you Laith M.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Hey guys-

I'm using Windows 7. I am trying to execute some programs, but this same error message came up. I've looked in my files for AVG programs to erase, and I've also searched or IE security. None of these things exist on my computer. This is a program that is coming off of a CD-rom- one that downloaded with no issues, but when I try to start it, I get this error message.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Emily

• Proposed as answer by monil2011 Friday, April 15, 2011 4:08 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by monil2011 Friday, April 15, 2011 4:08 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 12:15 AM
  •  

NOTE:  My access is through terminal services. 

I received a new server to load my IBM Rational products.  I was able to load ClearQuest, Req Pro and ClearCase with no problems.  Because this machine is being used as a web interface for the products, I needed to also load Crystal Reports XI along with the embedded report server.  Well, I got everything installed but the embedded reports server. 

On my attempt to double click on the file that would extract and install the addins needed I received the error message:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

After some testing I see that if I select any executable associated with installing an application, I get this error.

I've been searching all over the internet for a solution to this proble.  Does anyone know why this happens and what I can do to fix it?

I tryed all that with IE8 I still have the same problem this is not xp or vista it is windows 7 I can install some programs and some it will not let me install

Friday, June 18, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Hi there,

I have a laptop with Windows Vista and OpenOffice configured as the default application to open all MS Office file types, and I began receiving this same error when trying to open any MS Word document by double-clicking on it (which is supposed to launch OO Write).

The strange thing is that opening OO Write first, and then trying to open a MS Word file worked fine!

The solution was the one mentioned by user "whozthis" back on September 16, 2008 at 8:04 PM (see above).

For some reason, my Comodo firewall had OO Writer configured as a "Blocked" application for explorer.exe (which is who launches an application when double-clicking on a file).

I removed Write from the "Blocked" list and added it to the "Allowed" list...and voilá!

Hope it helps!
    Monday, June 28, 2010 3:09 AM
  • I was trying to install a program on Win 2003 SP2 64bit server and seeing the similar error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file"  I ran the .exe file using the command prompt and it worked and installed the program.  Although, not sure why it was not working when I double-click on it.

Anyways, if GUI does not work it works from command line.

Thanks,

Raman
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 11:40 PM
  •  

Raman
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 11:41 PM
  • I got this error when trying to install a program from "portableapps.com"
    I tried all the steps given here by the very knowledgeable community here, with no luck.

for me, RENAMING the installer exe did the trick.

my original file name was "PortableApps.Com Platform installer.exe  <--attempting to run this produced the error.

I took off the .com from the installer file name and it worked just fine! Still looks like a domain issue, but adding that perticular domain to my trusted sites did not work. Perhaps that is a security setting that I am not allowed to change on my work computer.

I apologize if this was already covered by someone else.

Eric

• Proposed as answer by Joblac Friday, August 13, 2010 8:59 PM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Hey every,

If you found above suggestions not working (IE option or UNBLOCK in General tab of properties), try below, (already tested in Win 7 which worked)

-- right click the broken .exe files (must be original file not shortcut) for Properties, then click on Security Tab

-- click EDIT to change permissions, then click ADD to create a new account

-- input "everyone" in the textbox then click OK 

-- you may find the EVERYONE account is listed in the user names box and then click on ALLOW at Full control for this everyone account.

ps,

1. this problem is often caused by AntiVirus/Firewall software, they may restrict exe file from running so that causing this problem occasionally. so please modify the regarding exe file from Restricted to Trusted in the security software, then follow my above steps.

2. if you feel inputing "everyone" is not safe, you can change to inputing your account name of the current PC. 

Still problem there?

• Proposed as answer by Joblac Friday, August 13, 2010 9:22 PM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 9:22 PM
  • I received this error while updating software. I am running Windows 2003 Server (Standard Edition) Service Pack 2.  After check permissions and verifying rights, I opened a "command prompt" and navigated to the executable.  I type the full name at the command prompt "example_error_application.exe" and it ran flawlessly from start to finish. I am guessing that problem was when double-clicking the executable it had problems with characters in the file name such as underscores, etc. and possible some unicode processing.
    Monday, August 23, 2010 4:37 PM
  • After uninstalling the IE Enhanced Security component, then rebooting the Windows Server 2003 x64 server, I was able to install programs.

Thanks so much

Charlie

Monday, August 30, 2010 7:28 PM
  •  

Just had the same problem, where I couldn't run any applications or download any files. All I did was reset and the server has come back to life! The Enhanced Internet Security was also removed, but nothing happened until I hit reset. 

Thanks!!!!

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Hey, so i found out that my antivirus, AVG, was causing this problem. By opening AVG and excluding its scan to where i had saved my file, i opened up my file and it was all good. 

Hope i helped.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 12:18 PM
  • I have problem too.The same error comes when I want to open Msn.Windows live messenger.I try'd to uninstall msn and install almost all versions(And uninstalled them).Please help me,because when msn dont work then paste dont work too.The msn was working only 2 times.I have windows 7.Please help.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Thank you very much this was really starting to bug me. ... I had this same problem and your solution worked.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Hi Everybody with unsolved problems! I found the unerversal solution to your "Windows Cannot Access the speficed device, path, or file" problems.

1. Okay, go to the drive that cannot be opened(the one that says every time you click it,"Windows Cannot Access the Spefified device, path or file)

2. Right - Click it. There should be something that says, "Auto Play". Click the first one. If the first one doesn't work, click the second one.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Ran into this today myself.  One more things future readers may need to check is Group Policy.  I joined a machine to a domain and experienced this error when trying to run a particular program.  I could copy in other programs to the same folder and they'd run.  The logged in user had full permissions and even ownership over the folder and all items within it.  It didn't even matter if I logged in as a domain admin account.  The error persisted.

In the end, what it ended up being was a GPO blocking 16-bit applications.  Restrictions like that (or others within GP) may be to blame.  Windows won't tell you WHY it is blocking access to a file.  It just says that it is doing so, unfortunately.

(For my specific problem, you're looking at Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Application Compatibility\Prevent Access to 16-bit applications in whatever GPO applies.  If you're on a domain, ask your domain admin.  If you're on a workgroup PC, fire up gpedit.msc via the run command [Win+R if you're on Win7 and haven't enabled Run in your task bar], and prod around.  Chances are slim that a workgroup PC would be effected by this since only you'd have ever set permissions in that case.)

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Hi,

Yeah i have just got this error today also. It occured when i was playing a program off an external hard-drive then i took out the hard-drive and put it in another computer; the program at this point was still working. After i took the hard-drive out of my second computer and went to put it back into the other and run the program it came up with the error " windows cannot access the specified device,path or file ...." this hasn't happened to me before it only happened when i used my external hard-drive on my two computers now im getting the same error message when trying to run the program on either computer. I have looked for the IE Enhanced Security component; its not there. I have also tried running the program off the harddrive through safemode and it still gives me the same error.

Please help

Saturday, October 30, 2010 10:32 AM
  • Ok this will be a long post, and for starters I wanted to point something out to everyone - there is two separate discussions going on in this thread. On one side you have a discussion about servers and people using thin clients or Citrix having this error code and changing Internet Explorer to resolve this conflict. Then on the other side all the stand alone home users with XP and Vista and 7 trying to figure out what is going on with their install that has the exact same error code. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom has given this error code to relate to multiple different errors hence the confusion.

Now here is my story, with out a resolution yet.

Ok, so I ran into a real nasty trojan virus, that is now resolved and gone. However, when I went into the process of being able to resolve this issue a sticky byproduct was this permissions issue. This is how it happens, I download a video with Firefox or any browser Opera, IE whatever. Then after I have downloaded it into the proper location I can see it within the downloads list from the browser, should I double click to launch the video with WMV it will fail with that error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item". However, should I open the directory and then launch from the true download location, rather in the list of the files within the browser download list it will launch fine. This is the problem I can utilize the programs directly launching them from explorer, however should I try and launch a program from inside another program it will fail to launch.

This is a Vista 64 bit installation, and I am pretty tech savvy individual. What I have tried thus far is to take owner ship of the directory since trusted installer was the owner previously. After I had done that I went into the permissions of the exe and sought to make sure that the file was open for everyone to be able to modify and have full control - it was. After that I also tried launching the browsers as admin privileges to see if it would still launch. It will not it refuses to allow calls to this directory. That being said it is also a big problem when I use Corel DVD Moviefactory, because this program is trying to launch other programs from this directory to run. So, I need to figure out why is it that I am not able to have programs make calls to this directory and try and launch exe files and fail, yet the permissions are fine and I can launch them from directly clicking on the item in a directory?

Further clarification as to what happens:

Firefox downloads to Harvester\downloads

All my pictures, movies, executable, rar/zip, reside in this directory "downloads"

In the browser Firefox there is a "downloads" [contrl+J] list that shows what you have downloaded through the browser

All of these items are able to double click and execute from this list with out having to navigate to the "downloads" directory

When executing a WMV file it will fail and error out with the "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item" error.

However, navigating to this directory will allow me to launch all programs with out any problem, the difference is I am launching from the file rather than through a program making a call to the x86 directory to launch the file. If I have an item that doesn't require a program to launch from the x86 directory it will launch ok through Firefox, ex InfanView, HJsplit, etc.

This is a problem with other programs making calls to external programs residing in the x86 directory like Corel Moviefactory 7. While running it will make the same error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item" when trying to make a new DVD, because it utilizes something in that directory an external program.

This happens with Opera as well, don't know about IE I don't use it.

What I have done thus far:

Removed my firewall that was MS native firewall

Removed my anti-virus and malware software - AVG, MalwareBytes, Windows Defender, Windows Security Essentials, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spy cop, and a few others

Went and took ownership of the directory

Tried registry hacks

Altered AVG to exclude the (x86) directory

Re-installed AVG and MalwareBytes to see if I can repair the file

Shared the (x86) directory for everyone and inherited the permissions

Tried CLI restoring of default permissions

Tried to make changes in safe mode still shut down.

This is where I am now....waiting for a scan to end to reboot and check to see if I was able to make any progress.

Sunday, October 31, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Hi All, i found another solution to this. if you are in a Terminal Server session to the affected server, open Task Manager and check who is logged on under Users.

You may have to log everyone off except yourself.

Might be best to try this solution first before you go uninstalling anything :)

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 11:05 PM
  •  

Another Solution

\\servername

Spot on, this is the solution that worked for me, thanks !
    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 11:37 AM
  • After uninstall the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security component it is working fine. Thanks...

Nitin Joshi

Friday, December 10, 2010 8:10 AM
  • Question