none
outlook sending to wrong address

Question

• hi

i have a very random issue with one user in particular when replying to e mail and they end up going to the incorrect person. here is the work flow

- user is replying to an e mail sent to him buy User A. ( half composed reply but not ready to send)

- user then recieves an e mail from User B and leaves the reply to user A while replying to user B

- finishes the e mail to user B and clicks send

- this e mail actually get sent to user A

- the half composed e mail to user A is now blank.

this user has had this a number of time but can usually spot it before sending but there has been a couple of times where sensitve e mail have been to the wrong person.

the exchange infrastructure is exchange 2010 , Outlook 2007

this i have tried already

- new mail profile ( made no difference)

- new roaming profile ( made no difference)

- outlook in safe mode ( difficult to tell as it is a random issue and cannot use safe mode for days)

- moving mailbox to a different database ( no difference)

has anyone come across this before.  - i have screen shots if needed.

Thanks

H

• Edited by IPS Group Monday, June 18, 2012 1:11 PM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 1:07 PM

All replies

• You might try deleting the nickname file.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, June 18, 2012 9:40 PM
  • Hi,

Does this issue occur to all the outlook users?

Please test the issue with all the third party add-ins disabled.

Please test if the issue would occur with OWA.

Please test the issue with new windows profile and new outlook profile with outlook online mode.

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Thank You Ed

i am trying this later this afternoon.

Xiu - only happens to one user., very difficult to test in OWA as it is a random issue which can happen a couple of times a day or not happen at all for a few days and it is impossible to get the user  ( a director of the company) to use OWA for a day when we have CRM's which intagrate with outlook.

as in my original message i have already tired new mail profile and new roaming profile and the issue still occurs. outlook is also in online mode.

Thanks

H

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

Since we have settings in windows profile, including nickname etc. so I recommend you to create new windows profile and then check the issue.

Besides,are you using roaming profile? Can you check the add-ins for that outlook?

How to reset the nickname and the automatic completion caches in Outlook

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287623

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:22 AM
  • Hi

update on this today.

set up a brand new roaming profile for the user and removed all old locally cached profiles.

this profile included a brand new nk2 file.

outlook in live mode with no extra add-ins ( just standard outlook)

the user had the same issue today again and ended up sending an e mail to the wrong person. same workflow as before.

Thanks

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Is there a bad contact?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Friday, June 22, 2012 4:06 AM
  • Hi Ed

could be a bad contact but i would not have any idea how to find which contact it was.

there is no pattern i can see and it seems to happen randomly depending on what e mails you are replying to. i have seen this with both internal and external e mails.

Thanks

Friday, June 22, 2012 7:42 AM
  • What is the intended recipient and what is it being sent to?  The more specific you are, the more likely we can help you figure out what's wrong.

Friday, June 22, 2012 2:52 PM
  • i have seen it with all kinds of recipients.

the latest example is

- replying to an e mail from an external source ( half written but not sent)

- new e mail arrives from someone internally

- stops replying to the external e mail and starts to reply to the internal e mail

- when he clicks the send on the internal e mail it gets sent to the external person

- the half written e mail to the external person is now totall blank.

Thanks

H

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:00 PM
  • I can't make any sense out of what you've posted.  If you can't provide a specific example, I really don't know where to look.

Friday, June 22, 2012 4:23 PM
  • ok..

- the user is in the middle of replying to an e mail that has arrived for an external e mail address... he has semi coposed this e mail but not sent it ( EMAIL A)

- the user then recieves another e mail while he is writting EMAIL A from an internal address ( from one of our directors)

- the users then stops writting EMAIL A and then proceeds to reply to the director ( E MAIL B)

- When he click send on E MAIL B it goes to the recipent of EMAIL A

- when he goes back to E MAIL A to see the semi composed message it is blank.

this generally seems to happen if he is in the middle of replying to an e mail and then recieves and e mail in that time and proceeds to reply to the 2nd e mail without finishing the first e mail

hope this makes sense

Monday, June 25, 2012 9:43 AM
  • If you can reproduce this then I would open a ticket with Microsoft because it is not normal, and it's nothing I've seen before.

Monday, June 25, 2012 6:11 PM
  • Any updates on this thread? I have a user with a very similar sounding issue and I'm wondering if there has been any resolution.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Having a similar issue here... User emails Person A, types their email address 100% accurately, hits send, Outlook sends to Person B. If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it.
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Make sure that Outlook doesn't have a contact with a corrupt address.  Make sure your nickname file doesn't have a corrupt entry--delete the entire file to be sure.

For more guidance, post a specific example with exact details.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:28 PM
  • I have the exact same problem recently.   I specifically put a contacts Email #1 address in To:   Double click on it, check, verify email address - once I click send, goes to Email Address #2 instead.  It happens consistently with this user.

I even opened up the contact to see if the visible labeling was simply incorrect - it is right.  I've recently spoken to another colleague who has seen this recently as well.  Maybe it is just a bad NK2 - I haven't tried clearing all cache yet.  Just wondered if it was a known issue.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:42 PM
  • I have had the same problem in Outlook 2013.

Take a look at this:  (Well, can't include image till my account is verified - so just trust that the image reflects THIS:

I select REPLY while viewing an email that says

From: Big Fish Games Customer Support [mailto:csinquiries@bigfishgames.com]

and the reply is addressed:

To.... Big Fish Games Customer Support <bigfishgames@mailwc.custhelp.com>

I have no contact set for Big Fish Customer Support.  I looked at the source for the message saved as an HTML and found no mailwc.custhelp.com.

I have been getting Mail Delivery System errors for emails that I reply to at seemingly random occasions; it looks like the REPLY is picking up an address from somewhere besides the FROM field.

Friday, April 11, 2014 9:25 PM