none
sending via outlook (and outlook anywhere) fails - "553 sorry, relaying denied from your location"

Question

• Hello!

i have a problem and couldn't find a solution. so i hope you can help me. i hope it is the right part of the forum, since this problem is also connected with outlook 2003.

i do have set up exchange 2010. i do also have enabled outlook anywhere. on my laptop i have set up an exchange email account (in outlook 2003). i do connect to my exchange server from within the internet. i can receive everything and i can also send emails in most cases (but in a wrong way i think).

today i recieved the following error message and it seems to be a problem for me. i do have set up my exchange server to send emails through a smarthost. every email i send should be relayed through my smarthost ( so that i don't have the problem to end up in spam folders because of my ip for example). because of the error message i got, i think my emails are not sent through my exchange server and my smarthost correctly, but directly from my internet IP. (when i send them through outlook 2003. from outlook web app it should work fine)

this is the error i get:

The following RCPT could not receive:

'XXX YYY' on 29.03.2011 20:35

553 sorry, relaying denied from your location [aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa] (#5.7.1)

[aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa] is NOT the ip address from my smarthost and it's NOT the ip from my exchange server, but it IS the ip address from where i am connected to the internet with my laptop. So it seems that outlook 2003 does't send my emails through my mail server (and the the configured smarthost), but directly from the local IP. well of course this is not the right way, since my laptop's internet ip address is not an accepted address for relaying.

why does outlook send emails from the local IP? i didn't find anything to change this. i couldn't set any smtp server settings in outlook 2003, since this outlook email account is an exchange account and all settings are "autodiscovered"?!

i hope you can understand my problem. please ask me for details you need to know!

thank you very much for your help!

kind regards!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:16 PM

Answers

• well the problem i had, didn't exist. sorry for wasting your time and thank you for your help. emails where sent through a secondary email account in outlook (pop3 + smtp) which generated the error (which was ok in this case since this account wasn't made for sending). but since emails to this second account where forwarded to my outlook anywhere account, it looked like the error was from the outlook anywhere account... since in this stupid error message only the name of the sender is written, and not the email adress of the sender -.-

kind regards!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:22 PM

All replies

• Have you configured Outlook with POP3/IMAP/SMTP accounts? If you have, then that is your problem. If you are using Outlook Anywhere then you don't need to have those account types set.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:44 PM
  • no i have set up an exchange account... (but i think i have found a solution - i will check and tell you my mistake later)

put pleas tell me for understanding: in case it would be a POP3/IMAP/SMTP email account in outlook, why would it send from its own ip adress and not over my mail server and smarthost? strangely enough the error isn't generated from my smtp server or from the smarthost but from the recipent's host. looks like the mail got sent directly from the internet ip to the recipient's host

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:06 AM
  • If you had configured a POP3/IMAP account with SMTP, then the server that you are sending the email through would see the IP address that the email was coming from and reject the message. Most ISPs SMTP servers are setup to only allow email traffic from their own networks.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:19 PM
  • well the problem i had, didn't exist. sorry for wasting your time and thank you for your help. emails where sent through a secondary email account in outlook (pop3 + smtp) which generated the error (which was ok in this case since this account wasn't made for sending). but since emails to this second account where forwarded to my outlook anywhere account, it looked like the error was from the outlook anywhere account... since in this stupid error message only the name of the sender is written, and not the email adress of the sender -.-

kind regards!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:22 PM
  • If you want use POP3/SMTP protocol  to connect with  Exchange 2003 server, you need to start SMTP virtual server and POP3 server. At the same time, set the virtual servers’ URL same as MX record.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:05 AM