none
Exchange 2010 UM - Faxing

Question

• Hi all,<o:p></o:p>

Is it possible to have both inbound faxing and outbound faxing facility with Exchange 2010 UM, without having any third-party solution? <o:p></o:p>

Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Thisaru,

To enable faxes to be sent and received over a VoIP network, you must have an IP gateway or an IP PBX that supports the T.38 protocol and a server that also supports T.38.

Do you have the IP gateway which understand T.38 protocol?

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer. V-I-S-A

• Marked as answer by Thisaru Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:30 AM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 11:25 AM
  • Hi Thisaru,

1) If the UM dial plan is Lync integrated then it is not supported. - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232022.aspx 

2) I am not aware if Mediant 1000 supported T.38 protocol, but Audiocodes Media Pack 1xx does support T.38 Protocol.

If you create a different Dial plan only with Audio codes only for FAX then that would work. But you cannot use the Lync Integrated Dial Plan for FAX.

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer. V-I-S-A

• Marked as answer by Thisaru Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:29 AM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Thisaru,

To enable faxes to be sent and received over a VoIP network, you must have an IP gateway or an IP PBX that supports the T.38 protocol and a server that also supports T.38.

Do you have the IP gateway which understand T.38 protocol?

• Marked as answer by Thisaru Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:30 AM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 11:25 AM
  • My customer has AudioCodes Mediant 1000 gateway device and we implemented lync server 2010 as well. To support T.38 protocol do we need a dedicated server for that?

Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:38 PM
  • Hi Thisaru,

1) If the UM dial plan is Lync integrated then it is not supported. - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232022.aspx 

2) I am not aware if Mediant 1000 supported T.38 protocol, but Audiocodes Media Pack 1xx does support T.38 Protocol.

If you create a different Dial plan only with Audio codes only for FAX then that would work. But you cannot use the Lync Integrated Dial Plan for FAX.

• Marked as answer by Thisaru Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:29 AM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:06 PM
  • is it for both inbound and outbound faxes or inbound only? Can we setup faxing without having any third-party solution?

Sunday, March 18, 2012 12:53 PM
  • No you cannot set up faxing without a third party solution.

Monday, March 19, 2012 11:39 AM