none
Exchange 2007 migration to Exchange 2010

Question

• Hi All,

My current setup is:

Exchange 2007 CCR (Shared Storage). Approx 3000 Mailbox and the DB size is 1.63 TB (SG - I) and 645 GB (SG - II)

HUB + CAS -> (Windows NLB x 2 Physical Servers) (1 Virtual Host) (Sun Blade x6250, 2* Intel x5270 dual core, 16 GB RAM, 300 GB HDD)

Mailbox x2 physical servers -> Failover Cluster  (1 Virtual Host) using Sun shared storage (2* Six core AMD 8345, 16 GB RAM, 300 GB Internal HDD, mapped shared storage)

We are planning to migrate to Exchange 2010 with complete new set of H/W & storage.

The new design will be:-

1) HUB + CAS:- Total 3 Physical Servers

2) Mailbox (DAG): Total 4 Physical Server

3) 2 Hardware NLB's which will balance the traffic for HUB & CAS Server

I want suggestions on SCOPE of this upgrade from 2007 to 2010 which i can share with my consultant who is proposing this.

Please advice

Apoorv Mehrotra

Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:02 AM

All replies

• Depending on the spec you can combine the Mbx role with the HUB & CAS as you're using a HLB. 

As for the sizing, DB layout etc.. you can use the Exch Calc here.

Use the Deployment Assistant too.

Sukh

Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:02 AM
  • Hi Apoorv Mehrotra,

Any update for your issue? Above gave some good inoformation.

Regards!

Gavin

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Hi Gavin,

Still trying to figure out the proper usage of this CALC as what i was thinking of suggesting the client is:-

1) 3 Servers + HWNLB (HUB & CAS)

2) 4 Server for Mailbox (DAG) role with dedicated storage

As the client wants no down time or minimal downtime. With this requirement in place, i was thinking to keep 3 mailbox servers in DAG with one server as Lagged copy in any kind of corruption. So the 3 live servers will load balance as i was thinking of mounting the DB's on different servers in order to have maximum through put and availability

Still i think that there is something missing in this design or is not proper. On a second note i wanted to ask, this CLAC doesn't asks for any input related to HUB & CAS Servers it only asks to input for DB servers or may be i have not yet properly used this?

Please help...

Apoorv Mehrotra

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:31 AM
  • That would do, The calc is primarily for mbx servers.  HUB's are load balanced for internal messages without any special config needed, the CAS Server you would need to create a CAS Array and use a software (WNLB) or hardware solution.  It's nor recommended to use WNLB any more.

As for the distributions of the DB across the 3 Nodes, it's fine.

As for HA/DR, look good if you have one AD site.

Sukh

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Thanks dear...

Yes i will not use WNLB, i will use a H/w LB for this solution.

HUB & CAS roles will be installed on all the three server which will sit behind this H/W LB. Yes i have one site only, and neat future i do not see a second site coming up pretty soon...

Thanks...

Apoorv Mehrotra

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:57 AM