none
Search-Mailbox - SearchQuery options

Question

• Where can I find the list of commands that I can use within the -SearchQuery command of the Exchange 2010 SP1 cmdlet Search-Mailbox
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Here is the list of Advanced Query Syntax (AQS) keywords you can use:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232132.aspx#AQS

Mike Pfeiffer | blog: mikepfeiffer.net | twitter: @mike_pfeiffer
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:31 PM
  • get-mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "Cheese.dom/SpecialAccess/Awsome/Users" | Search-Mailbox -SearchQuery subject:'Party in the Office',from:'Bob@Cheese.dom' -DeleteContent

Exchange 2010 SP2 This worked no errors:
    Use any identifer to get the mailbox group you want: Get-Mailbox -resultsize unlimited or -idenity or whatever..,
    get-mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "Cheese.dom/SpecialAccess/Awsome/Users" | Search-Mailbox -SearchQuery subject:'Party in the Office',from:'Bob@Cheese.dom' -DeleteContent
    Good luck

Exchange Search keywords

Property

Example

Search results

Attachments

attachment:’annualreport.pptx’

Messages that have an attachment named annualreport.pptx. The use of attachment:annualreport or attachment:annual* returns the same results as using the full name of the attachment.

Cc

cc:’paulshen’

cc:’pauls’

cc:’pauls@contoso.com’

Messages with Paul Shen in the Cc field.

From

Messages sent by Bharat Suneja.

Keywords in retention policy

retentionpolicy:’business critical’

Messages that have the Business Critical retention tag applied.

Date when messages expire according to policy

expires:’4/1/2010’

Messages that expire on April 1, 2010.

Sent

sent:yesterday

All messages sent yesterday.

Subject

Subject:’patent filing’

All messages where the phrase “patent filing” appears in the Subject field.

To

to:’benSmith’

to:’bsmith’

to:’besmith@contoso.com’

Messages that have Ben Smith in the To field.

• Proposed as answer by Magus_Wade Friday, August 03, 2012 2:01 PM
    Friday, August 03, 2012 1:57 PM
  • How do you include a subject that has "Re:" in it.  I keep trying things but it won't work due to the ":".  I tried for example:

'Subject:"Re`:` Subject Title"' but that doesn't work.  Have also tried 'Subject:"Re: Subject Title"' and that also does not work.  If I search for just "Subject Title" it will include messages with Re: in the title but seems like there should be a way to narrow it down.  Too bad we can search on ESMTP ID or something more unique.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:00 AM
  • Place the subject in double quotes instead of the single quote, if you only on the "Re:" subjects.  If you want all the subjests realted then using the single quote will get the Re:.

Example:get-mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "Cheese.dom/SpecialAccess/Awsome/Users" | Search-Mailbox -SearchQuery subject:'Party in the Office',from:'Bob@Cheese.dom' -DeleteContent

The above will delete any subject that contains 'Party in the Office', from Bob.
    So Re:Party in the Office would be deleted.

get-mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "Cheese.dom/SpecialAccess/Awsome/Users" | Search-Mailbox -SearchQuery subject:"Party in the Office",from:'Bob@Cheese.dom' -DeleteContent

Using the double quote will result in only "Party in the Office" from Bob to be deleted.

Hope that helps.

Monday, December 03, 2012 11:58 AM
  • How do you specify just the emails in the Inbox folder and not any of the subfolders underneath the Inbox?  I tried the syntax below but it returned a "The property keyword isn't supported."  The date part works fine as it deletes the emails older than 90 days.  But it deletes emails in subfolders too.

$Today = (Get-Date).adddays(-90)
    Search-Mailbox -Identity 'crmemail' -TargetMailbox 'zztestdb02' -targetfolder 'deletedinboxcrmemails' -SearchQuery "Received:< $($Today) and foldername:inbox" -loglevel full -DeleteContent

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 5:37 PM