none
Accidental deletion of discovery mailbox

Question

• Hi,

I installed the mailbox role on a server in a separate AD site (from my Ex2k7 install) - just to experiment with it. When I uninstalled the mailbox role, I got an error saying that there may be mailboxes left in the server, and that I should remove them. So I went ahead and did a Get-Mailbox and a Get-Mailbox -Arbitration and proceeded to delete them.

Fast forward a couple of days later, I installed the Unified Messaging role (along with CAS and mailbox again) on another box, and now when I call the auto attendant, I get an error in the event log saying I may have inadvertently deleted the discovery mailbox (and the UM server drops the call immediately). So my question is: How do I recreate the discovery mailbox? I did a New-Mailbox -Discovery, which seemed to create a discovery mailbox, but it wasn't hidden (I can see it in EMC).

TIA.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 4:47 PM

Answers

• The UM team was able to reproduce this error using the steps that appear to have happened. The culprit seems to be the user SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}. If it's not properly enabled as an arbitration mailbox, this error can occur.

To try and resolve this, try the following in an Exchange Management Shell prompt:

Enable-Mailbox "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" -Arbitration

If that completes successfully, then try calling the auto attendant again. If you don't get the error, great. If the Enable cmdlet failed, or you still get the error, try the following from an Exchange Management Shell window:

Remove-Mailbox "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" -Arbitration
    Get-User "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}"
    Get-User "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" -Arbitration

The "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" user should no longer appear.

Then, from a cmd.exe window, run the following:

Setup.exe /PrepareAD

Once completed, open the Exchange Management Shell again and run:

Get-User "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}"

The "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" user should show up as a regular user, not UserMailbox. Run the following:

Enable-Mailbox "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" -Arbitration

This should enable the "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" user as an arbitration mailbox.

Try to call the auto attendant again and see if the error occurs. If it does, let me know and please include any other error messages you receive either in the shell or in the event log.

David.

Senior Technical Writer - Exchange This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by kltye Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:11 AM
  • All,

I ran into this issue as well.  I was able to get resolution by doing the following.

I had uninstalled everything before doing this, as I'm not sure how it will work with the roles still installed.

Verify that the Role for Active Directory Domain Services is installed.

Drop down to a command line and run the following from the installation files directory: 

1. Setup.com /PrepareAD 
    2. Setup.com /PrepareSchema
    3. Setup.com /PrepareDomain

4. After the above completes. Double click the setup.com for the installation GUI.  After that, the installation completed successfully.

• Proposed as answer by NickEw Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by kltye Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:53 PM
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:52 PM

All replies

• That's the correct way to create Discovery mailbox, and yes it does even show in EMC along with an Admin account when first Exchange 2010 got installed.

You can even specify the user principal name, if you want to give any specific...
    New-Mailbox SearchResults -Discovery -UserPrincipalName SearchResults@domain.com

Amit Tank | MVP – Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com

Monday, August 24, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Unfortunately even after creating the Discovery mailbox, the UM server still gives me the same error message... Do I have to do anything else for it to work?
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:35 PM
  • The problem is even worse now when I installed Exchange 2010 in my default site (Default-First-Site-Name) which has my Exchange 2007 SP2 servers. I now get an error saying:

The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); if ( ($server -eq $null) -and ($RoleIsDatacenter -ne $true) ) { Update-RmsSharedIdentity -ServerName $RoleNetBIOSName }" was run: "RMS Shared Identity user FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042 not found.".

RMS Shared Identity user FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042 not found.

It sounds like me deleting the mailboxes is starting to look like a very bad idea...

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:58 PM
  • Any other way to fix this... Just creating hte mailbox with the Discovery switch does not seem to fix everything
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:00 AM
  • All,

I ran into this issue as well.  I was able to get resolution by doing the following.

I had uninstalled everything before doing this, as I'm not sure how it will work with the roles still installed.

Verify that the Role for Active Directory Domain Services is installed.

Drop down to a command line and run the following from the installation files directory: 

1. Setup.com /PrepareAD 
    2. Setup.com /PrepareSchema
    3. Setup.com /PrepareDomain

4. After the above completes. Double click the setup.com for the installation GUI.  After that, the installation completed successfully.

• Proposed as answer by NickEw Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by kltye Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:53 PM
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Actually I did those steps myself a couple weeks ago and it fixed it. However, Unified Messaging is still complaining that it can't find the discovery mailbox :(
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:53 PM
  • /PrepareAD is the magic one that should recreate the necessary mailbox. As for UM I don't have enough experience there to help you out. :(
    Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:16 AM
  • Did you ever find a solution to the UM issue?
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Unfortunately not :( I'm hoping RTM will magically fix it - otherwise, I will have to use 2007 for UM. Or wipe the whole infrastructure out (yeah right).
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Unfortunately not :( I'm hoping RTM will magically fix it - otherwise, I will have to use 2007 for UM. Or wipe the whole infrastructure out (yeah right).

hi.

I'm asking internally how or whether this error can be corrected. I'll follow up with you when I receive an answer. However I'd like to take this opportunity to urge everyone to install the RC release in a test lab only. The RC release isn't meant to be installed in a production environment if you're not in one of our approved early adoption programs.

thanks,
    david.
    Senior Technical Writer - Exchange This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, October 09, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Actually I did those steps myself a couple weeks ago and it fixed it. However, Unified Messaging is still complaining that it can't find the discovery mailbox :(

hi

Can you describe exactly what you're doing when you receive the error? The mailbox in question isn't a discovery mailbox but a federated delivery mailbox. However it's not used in your current deployment. But something could still be testing for it. Please paste the output of the following command:

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration | FL Name,Alias

thanks,
    david.
    Friday, October 09, 2009 4:28 AM
  • When I try to use UM whether calling Voicemail or calling the auto attendant... I get the following error.  Event ID 1327 Category UMCore

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchange Unified Messaging
    Date:          10/9/2009 8:45:23 AM
    Event ID:      1327
    Task Category: UMCore
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      UMServer
    Description:
    The Unified Messaging server wasn't able to retrieve the custom prompt data for the UM dial plan "HomeDialing1". Check the dial plan configuration to ensure that all custom prompts have been configured correctly. "Microsoft.Exchange.UM.Prompts.Provisioning.PublishingPointException: An error occurred while accessing the custom prompt publishing point. The discovery mailbox, a hidden default mailbox that is required to search mailboxes, can't be found. It may have been inadvertently deleted. This mailbox must be re-created before you can search mailboxes. ---> Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ObjectNotFoundException: The discovery mailbox, a hidden default mailbox that is required to search mailboxes, can't be found. It may have been inadvertently deleted. This mailbox must be re-created before you can search mailboxes.
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.Infoworker.MailboxSearch.MailboxDataProvider.GetDiscoveryMailbox(ADRecipientSession session)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCommon.ADRecipientLookupFactory.ADRecipientLookup.GetSystemMailboxUser()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.Prompts.Provisioning.PublishingSessionBase.InitializeMailboxSession(OrganizationId orgId)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.Prompts.Provisioning.PublishingSessionBase.InitializeMailboxSession(OrganizationId orgId)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.Prompts.Provisioning.PublishingSessionBase.get_PublishingSessionMailbox()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.Prompts.Provisioning.PublishingSessionBase.DownloadAllAsWma(DirectoryInfo directory)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCore.UMConfigCache.CacheEntry.EnsureSessionCache(Boolean usePersistedCache)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCore.UMConfigCache.CacheEntry..ctor(ADObjectId key)".
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="MSExchange Unified Messaging" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49156">1327</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-10-09T12:45:23.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>13293</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>UMServer</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>HomeDialing1</Data>
        <Data>Microsoft.Exchange.UM.Prompts.Provisioning.PublishingPointException: An error occurred while accessing the custom prompt publishing point. The discovery mailbox, a hidden default mailbox that is required to search mailboxes, can't be found. It may have been inadvertently deleted. This mailbox must be re-created before you can search mailboxes. ---&gt; Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ObjectNotFoundException: The discovery mailbox, a hidden default mailbox that is required to search mailboxes, can't be found. It may have been inadvertently deleted. This mailbox must be re-created before you can search mailboxes.
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.Infoworker.MailboxSearch.MailboxDataProvider.GetDiscoveryMailbox(ADRecipientSession session)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCommon.ADRecipientLookupFactory.ADRecipientLookup.GetSystemMailboxUser()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.Prompts.Provisioning.PublishingSessionBase.get_PublishingSessionMailbox()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.Prompts.Provisioning.PublishingSessionBase.DownloadAllAsWma(DirectoryInfo directory)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCore.UMConfigCache.CacheEntry.EnsureSessionCache(Boolean usePersistedCache)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMCore.UMConfigCache.CacheEntry..ctor(ADObjectId key)</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Friday, October 09, 2009 12:49 PM
  • Get-Mailbox -Arbitration:

Name  : FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042
    Alias : FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042

Name  : Microsoft Exchange Approval Assistant
    Alias : SystemMailbox{1f05a927-0909-47f6-8b9b-cfa01711754d}

Name  : Microsoft Exchange
    Alias : SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}

I get the exact error that J Flynn does below.

Thank you for looking into this!

Friday, October 09, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Get-Mailbox -Arbitration:

Name  : FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042
    Alias : FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042

Name  : Microsoft Exchange Approval Assistant
    Alias : SystemMailbox{1f05a927-0909-47f6-8b9b-cfa01711754d}

Name  : Microsoft Exchange
    Alias : SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}

I get the exact error that J Flynn does below.

Thank you for looking into this!

ok I'm not quite sure whether you're just getting that error, or also the other error relating to the federated delivery mailbox - or if that's a byproduct of the discovery mailbox issue. Could you run the following in the Exchange Management Shell:

Get-Mailbox

Do you see the discovery mailbox listed there? If not, run the following:

Get-User *discovery* | FL Name

Copy the entire string that's returned. It'll look something like DiscoverySearchMailbox {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852}

Then, run the following:

Enable-Mailbox -Discovery "<string>"

For example:

Enable-Mailbox -Discovery "DiscoverySearchMailbox {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852}"

See if that resolves the error.

David.

Friday, October 09, 2009 5:44 PM
  • I just tried that and I still get the same error.
    Friday, October 09, 2009 5:52 PM
  • I'm sorry - the setup error regarding the Federated mailbox has been solved for a while now, and is out of the picture. The only problem that remains is the UM error.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Enable-Mailbox -Discovery "DiscoverySearchMailbox {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852}"
    This task does not support recipients of this type. The specified recipient <domain name>/Users/DiscoverySearchMailbox
    {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852} is of type UserMailbox. Please make sure that this recipient matches the require
    d recipient type for this task.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (<domain name>/U...D-7E09334BB852}:RecipientIdParameter) [Enable-Mailbo
       x], RecipientTaskException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 4C18B52A,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.EnableMailbox

I swear I created the mailbox with -Discovery. Should I wipe this "fake" Discovery mailbox and recreate it? If so, what is the correct way of doing that?

Friday, October 09, 2009 6:08 PM
  • My system allowed me to enable the mailbox but I still get the UM error when I try to dial the Subscriber line and/or autoattend...
    Friday, October 09, 2009 6:10 PM
  • My system allowed me to enable the mailbox but I still get the UM error when I try to dial the Subscriber line and/or autoattend...

ok thanks. I need to talk with the UM team to see if they can determine why you're getting this error.

David.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:01 AM
  • The UM team was able to reproduce this error using the steps that appear to have happened. The culprit seems to be the user SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}. If it's not properly enabled as an arbitration mailbox, this error can occur.

To try and resolve this, try the following in an Exchange Management Shell prompt:

If that completes successfully, then try calling the auto attendant again. If you don't get the error, great. If the Enable cmdlet failed, or you still get the error, try the following from an Exchange Management Shell window:

Remove-Mailbox "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" -Arbitration
    Get-User "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}"
    Get-User "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" -Arbitration

The "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" user should no longer appear.

Then, from a cmd.exe window, run the following:

Setup.exe /PrepareAD

Once completed, open the Exchange Management Shell again and run:

Get-User "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}"

The "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" user should show up as a regular user, not UserMailbox. Run the following:

This should enable the "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" user as an arbitration mailbox.

Try to call the auto attendant again and see if the error occurs. If it does, let me know and please include any other error messages you receive either in the shell or in the event log.

David.

• Marked as answer by kltye Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply - I didn't get an alert that this thread had been updated.

Holy ____, it worked! Only minor issue I had was doing a Remove-Mailbox didn't seem to remove the mailbox  - I had to delete it from dsa.msc. Also, it's setup.com, not setup.exe. Other than that, it worked perfectly. Thank you!

Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:32 PM
  • David

Like kltye said that worked perfectly.  I do have alingering issue that is driving me crazy and not sure why.  I have 2 users that when a person calls and tries to leave them a message, they get "You do not have permissions to leave this person a message"  This happened in 2007 and 2010.  Any suggestions on where to look....
    Monday, October 19, 2009 1:24 AM
  • David

Like kltye said that worked perfectly.  I do have alingering issue that is driving me crazy and not sure why.  I have 2 users that when a person calls and tries to leave them a message, they get "You do not have permissions to leave this person a message"  This happened in 2007 and 2010.  Any suggestions on where to look....

Unfortunately there's not much here that I can use to figure out why you might be getting this error. I asked around and the best I can say without more info is to make sure you have "Allow UM calls from non-users" and "Allow diverted calls without a caller ID to leave a message" checked on the UM Mailbox; "Allow caller to transfer to users" and "Allow callers to send voice messages" checked on the auto attendant; "Allow callers to send voice messages" checked on the dial plan.

Since this is occurring on a 2007 server you can call up PSS and get mainline support. They can walk through your configuration and determine if anything's misconfigured.

David.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:42 AM
  • Hi,

I just tried that and I still get the same error.
    The OVA (VoiceMail) Works Perfect, but when i try the AA, i get this erros in the Exchange Server.

Event ID 1021
    Source: MSExhcange Unified Messaging

The Unified Messaging server rejected an incoming call with the ID "3d07ed6fafcf489091846957f0e3d366". Reason: "The dial plan with identity xxxx
    does not exist."

Event ID 32768
    Source: Microsoft Exchange Speech Engine

The Telephony Manager declined a call with Call Id '3d07ed6fafcf489091846957f0e3d366' for the following reason in component telephony session: 'The application has requested that the call be declined during media negotiation.'.

Further trace information for support personnel follows:

System.InvalidOperationException: The application has requested that the call be declined during media negotiation.

at Microsoft.SpeechServer.Core.SessionInfo.ApplicationRequiresSecureRtp(RemoteRtpOffer rtpOffer, IPEndPoint mediaEndpoint, IPEndPoint sipPeerEndpoint, CallInfo callInfo, Boolean& receiveRTAudio)

at Microsoft.SpeechServer.Core.TelephonySessionInbound.CreateMediaNegotiation(ContentDescription rtcMediaDescription, SessionInfo sessionInfo, CallInfo callInfo, IPEndPoint sipPeerEndpoint)

at Microsoft.SpeechServer.Core.TelephonySessionInbound.Initialize(SessionInfo sessionInfo, SessionReceivedEventArgs e, CallInfo callInfo, EventSerializer serializer, SpeechSession speechSession, Boolean isTlsConnection)

at Microsoft.SpeechServer.Core.TelephonySessionInbound..ctor(SessionInfo sessionInfo, SessionReceivedEventArgs e, CallInfo callInfo)

at Microsoft.SpeechServer.Core.TelephonyManager.CreateSession(Int32 inviteReceivedTickCount, SessionReceivedEventArgs e)

at Microsoft.SpeechServer.Core.TelephonyManager.SignalingSessionReceived(Object sender, SessionReceivedEventArgs e)

Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:22 PM
  • I know this is an older thread, but I am having this same issue on Exchange 2010. The only difference is that the SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9} and DiscoverySearchMailbox {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852} are in our root domain that holds the schema. How can i fix this for the domain that Exchange is installed in?
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:33 PM
  • I know this is an older thread, but I am having this same issue on Exchange 2010. The only difference is that the SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9} and DiscoverySearchMailbox {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852} are in our root domain that holds the schema. How can i fix this for the domain that Exchange is installed in?

That is the exact same problem I'm having! Everything seems to be really intermittent - the below was the exact same query executed 5 minutes apart:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>get-user -DomainController NORRDC02.root.int -Identity "*discovery*"

Name                            RecipientType
    ----                            -------------
    DiscoverySearchMailbox {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334B... User

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>get-user -DomainController NORRDC02.root.int -Identity "*discovery*"
    The operation couldn't be performed because object '*discovery*' couldn't be found on 'NORRDC02.root.int'.
      + CategoryInfo     : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-User], ManagementObjectNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : D096B11,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.GetUser

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:06 PM
  • your not alone - me too !

And I have no answers either - I thought it could be a disjoined namespace issue but everything else works !

Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:23 PM
  • for my environment the fix was as shown in this thread

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:57 AM
  • Dear Mr. David,

I ran the solution provided above, but when I run the command Setup.exe /PrepareAD, it stuck on the 31st % of the operation.

Kindly advise on the issue please.

Ruzieh

Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Thanks David for your help, it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anthony Y

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 4:18 PM