none
Cluster owner

Question

• Windows Server 2008 stretched cluster with Exchange 2007 SP1 (rollup 7) CCR. The Windows cluster owner and the Exchange cluster owner are different. Is there something that we need to do in order for the owner to the same for both Windows and Exchange?

Monday, April 27, 2009 5:56 PM

Answers

• It is not recommend that we forces same owner for both windows cluster group and exchange group, such configuration will not only cause the down time for exchange if the exchange server get problem, but also cause the down time for windows cluster, which is definitely not good for the high availability in the production environment

Group is used to manage all resources that need to be treated as a single unit, which is the smallest unit of failover. Such design is all good for management and recovery purposes

So, we can manually move cluster group to the same owner as Jader3rd suggested if you want to keep two groups on one node

Cluster group

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:21 AM

All replies

• You don't need for them to have the same owner. If you really want them to it's possible to move the cluster group with the command
    cluster group "cluster group" /moveTo:<Node Name>

Monday, April 27, 2009 7:23 PM
  • It is not recommend that we forces same owner for both windows cluster group and exchange group, such configuration will not only cause the down time for exchange if the exchange server get problem, but also cause the down time for windows cluster, which is definitely not good for the high availability in the production environment

Group is used to manage all resources that need to be treated as a single unit, which is the smallest unit of failover. Such design is all good for management and recovery purposes

So, we can manually move cluster group to the same owner as Jader3rd suggested if you want to keep two groups on one node

Cluster group

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:21 AM
  • So what do you do in the event that you want to take a node down for maintenance that contains the cluster group (not Exchange)?  Issue the cluster group command or just shut it down and let it failover?
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:18 AM
  • I use the cluster move group command, because if I run into issues with it then I will not manually shutdown the node.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:43 AM