none
About resend and recall message feature on outllok

Question

• Hi guys,

anybody says my as work resend and recall message features on outlook and exchange 2010 ?

If i use a recall feauture it's possible delete a message that i have sent previous from a mailbox user that doesn't still see the message ?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, recall feather is not reliable, but still can work.

With reference to how does recall work, I would like to explain the below information:

Message Recall will not be successful if:

The recipient is not using Outlook.

The recipient is not logged on to the mail service provider.

The message has been moved from the Inbox.

The message has been read. This includes viewing the message with the Preview Pane so that the message is flagged as Read.

Recall can only work for:

The recipient uses Outlook, and Outlook is running.

The recipient's mailbox must be open for the recall to succeed.

The message must still be unread and in the recipient's Inbox.

There are a number of circumstances in which message recall doesn't work. Since it is an Outlook feature here are some reasons why it might not work:

You can only attempt to recall a message you sent if you're using Outlook.

Recipients who aren't using Outlook (e.g. POP3, IMAP4, and OWA users) will get the recall request messages, but they have no way to do a recall.

If an Outlook recipient opens the message before opening the recall request, the recall will fail.

Outlook users who have the preview pane turned on may still be able to read the recalled message, even if they haven't opened it.

Most users will see the recall request and immediately rush to read the message.

Best Regards!
    • Marked as answer by Alter1974 Friday, July 29, 2011 8:28 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 5:27 AM

All replies

• If recall works, yes, it can delete a message from the recipients inbox before they read it, but so much can go wrong that it's not very reliable. See http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/recall-messages.asp for more information.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, recall feather is not reliable, but still can work.

With reference to how does recall work, I would like to explain the below information:

Message Recall will not be successful if:

The recipient is not using Outlook.

The recipient is not logged on to the mail service provider.

The message has been moved from the Inbox.

The message has been read. This includes viewing the message with the Preview Pane so that the message is flagged as Read.

Recall can only work for:

The recipient uses Outlook, and Outlook is running.

The recipient's mailbox must be open for the recall to succeed.

The message must still be unread and in the recipient's Inbox.

There are a number of circumstances in which message recall doesn't work. Since it is an Outlook feature here are some reasons why it might not work:

You can only attempt to recall a message you sent if you're using Outlook.

Recipients who aren't using Outlook (e.g. POP3, IMAP4, and OWA users) will get the recall request messages, but they have no way to do a recall.

If an Outlook recipient opens the message before opening the recall request, the recall will fail.

Outlook users who have the preview pane turned on may still be able to read the recalled message, even if they haven't opened it.

Most users will see the recall request and immediately rush to read the message.

Best Regards!
    • Marked as answer by Alter1974 Friday, July 29, 2011 8:28 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 5:27 AM
  • thanks you!

Friday, July 29, 2011 8:29 AM
  • A colleague read my message in Outlook (I was on the phone with him) and then I sent a recall message.  He said that the message disappeared from his screen, and I received a Message Recall Success message.  How is this possible?

Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:36 PM
  • He would need to be working offline or in cached mode and Outlook was slow to update the server that it was read.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:38 PM