none
Recreate an alias / distribution group that was deleted

Question

• I had an allusers@ distribution group setup in Exchange 2010 so I can send an email to all of my users.  I never remember to add new people and found out about the Dynamic Distribution Group. 

I deleted the old allusers@ in Exchange Management Console.  I recreated allusers@ with the "New Dynamic Distribution Group" wizard in EMC.  I get it to find all of the user names and I complete the creation.

Now when I email allusers@company.com I get an undeliverable message with the following error:

IMCEAEX-_O=FIRST+20ORGANIZATION_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=All23a@MYCOMPANY.com #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found ##

I tried restarting the server to refresh things and that didn't solve it. 

I tried deleteing the Dynamic Group and recreating the normal ditribution group, but that failed again.

Creating allusers2@ as a dynamic distribution group and emails are delivered.

I went to allusers2@ properties and the E-mail addresses tab.  I add allusers@.  When I try to send to allusers@, it fails.

Any advice how to get allusers@ to work?

Monday, September 10, 2012 10:46 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your continued help in this.  I deleted the allusers@ reference in my auto complete and rebooted my PC.  I waited around 45 minutes before typing in allusers@company.com.  allusers@ didn't work, but allusers2@ did.

This server is a Small Business Server 2011.  It hosts Exchange 2011 and our Active Directory.  Sharepoint has been configured on it, but we haven't used it yet.

Are they any other workarounds instead of clearing the whole autocomplete file.  Like I said, my users typically use it as their contact list and will be lost without it.

Hi,
    Yes, you can add the old legacyExchangeDN as an X500 Emailaddress on the new group you created.
    In the NDR above we can see that the value for it would be:

/o=FIRST ORGANIZATION/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=All23a

Martina Miskovic

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:17 PM

All replies

• Hi User

The error you are getting is a cache problem. You will need to manually remove the entry from the outlook client by typing the address and then clicking delete or using the support article below to remove the NK2 file or auto complete entry in outlook.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287623

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:47 AM
  • I'm using Outlook 2010.  After I made the changes on the server I'd start a new email, start typing all..., hit the down arrow, hit the up arrow so allusers@ is selected and then click delete on the keyboard.  I'd restart Outlook before sending another email.  No luck.

The article you suggested said to click the X next to the name instead.   I was hoping it would be that simple, but I get undeliverable reports right away still. 

I'd strongly prefer not to clean out my entire autocomplete list.  That is pretty much my address book.  Most of my users are the same.  I know one other person tried to send to the distribution group after it was recreated and it failed. 

• Edited by User10001110101 Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:54 AM added last paragraph
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Hi

It normally takes a few minutes to update the cache table. 

did you remove it and then type it again and it failed?

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:37 AM
  • Thanks for your continued help in this.  I deleted the allusers@ reference in my auto complete and rebooted my PC.  I waited around 45 minutes before typing in allusers@company.com.  allusers@ didn't work, but allusers2@ did.

This server is a Small Business Server 2011.  It hosts Exchange 2011 and our Active Directory.  Sharepoint has been configured on it, but we haven't used it yet.

Are they any other workarounds instead of clearing the whole autocomplete file.  Like I said, my users typically use it as their contact list and will be lost without it.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Hi

It is a pleasure. Another method in Outlook 2010 is to remove the contact item from the Suggested Contacts folder. To see all your Contact folders, switch to the Contacts Navigation (keyboard shortcut: CTRL+3).

Ref: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/24

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:28 PM

Hi,
    Yes, you can add the old legacyExchangeDN as an X500 Emailaddress on the new group you created.
    In the NDR above we can see that the value for it would be:

/o=FIRST ORGANIZATION/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=All23a

Martina Miskovic

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:17 PM