none
What roles do I need to install?

Question

• Hi,

Currently running Exchange 2010 SP2 on Server 2008 R2 SP1.  The current server is working 100% with no issues and has all the needed roles installed.

We are looking at adding 5,000 new users, for political reason we would like to keep them separate and on another server.  So I am looking at adding a new exchange server to the existing configuration, what roles do I need to install on this new server?  From what I can make out it is only the mailbox role that is needed.  Or do I need the CAS as well?

TIA

Monday, June 11, 2012 5:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

if you only want to seperate the mailstore the mailboxrole is enought. But if you want to seperate the uer traffic (MAPI, POP, IMAP, OutlookAnywhere, etc) you have to install a new CAS Serrver two and if you want to seperate the SMTP traffic you need a second Hub Transportserver too.

So it´s up to you what serrver roles are installed additionally.

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com

Monday, June 11, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Theorectically yep, only the mailbox role as Thomas says. But bear in mind CAS is used for more than just HTTPS services, it's also used for the RPC/MAPI services too.

In reality 5000 additional users will produce additional load on the CAS and HT roles, so if you've just got one single server right now, you probably need to revisit your design, asking yourself questions about the required level of availabilty and doing some investigation in what performance you need. Investigate load balancing for the CAS role improving upon your HTTPS namespace and adding a Client Access Array, ensuring you provide resiliance for Hub Transport and of course for 5,000 users consider Database Availability Groups.

Steve Goodman
    Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Monday, June 11, 2012 9:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

if you only want to seperate the mailstore the mailboxrole is enought. But if you want to seperate the uer traffic (MAPI, POP, IMAP, OutlookAnywhere, etc) you have to install a new CAS Serrver two and if you want to seperate the SMTP traffic you need a second Hub Transportserver too.

So it´s up to you what serrver roles are installed additionally.

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com

Monday, June 11, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Theorectically yep, only the mailbox role as Thomas says. But bear in mind CAS is used for more than just HTTPS services, it's also used for the RPC/MAPI services too.

In reality 5000 additional users will produce additional load on the CAS and HT roles, so if you've just got one single server right now, you probably need to revisit your design, asking yourself questions about the required level of availabilty and doing some investigation in what performance you need. Investigate load balancing for the CAS role improving upon your HTTPS namespace and adding a Client Access Array, ensuring you provide resiliance for Hub Transport and of course for 5,000 users consider Database Availability Groups.

Steve Goodman
    Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Monday, June 11, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

any updtes? If your question is answered it would be nice if you mark it accordingly.

Thanks a lot in advance

Kind regards

Thomas

visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com

• Edited by Peddy1st Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:16 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:16 PM
  • Easy!

It's only been a few days.  Thanks for the info.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:15 PM