none
Rebuilding Exchange Search Index

    Question

  • I have a few users that cannot use the serach index in OWA.  When I try to rebuild the corrupted indexes this is the error message I am getting: 

     

     

     

    [PS] C:\>ResetSearchIndex.ps1 [-force] -all
    Get-MailboxDatabase : The operation could not be performed because object '[-fo
    rce]' could not be found on domain controller 'gwlcdc2.GWLC.COM'.
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Scripts\ResetSearchIndex.ps1:81 c
    har:36
    +             $mbdbList+= (get-mailboxdatabase  <<<< $a).Name
    WARNING: Waiting for service 'Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer
    (MSExchangeSearch)' to finish stopping...
    MSExchangeSearch service stopped

    removing: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Moderate Storage G
    roup\CatalogData-bb04a98e-27b2-42f4-88e5-d06b3e69f4ae-cc64dd2d-2428-4f12-bba2-7
    9d6d34c4d27


    Can anyone help?

     

    Thanks,

    Tim 

    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:57 PM

All replies

  • Tim,

     

    Stop the Microsoft Exchange Search service, delete the search index (you can find this in the directory of the mailstore)and then start the Microsoft Exchange Search service.

     

    Regards,

     

    Johan

     

    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 3:05 PM
  • I have tried to stop the msexchangeserch service -> delete the catalogdata folder  -> start msexchangeserach service again but the user still got the following result by running test-exchangeserch <userid> |fl

    ResultFound : False
    SearchTime  : -1

    Besides, i tried to run resetsearchindex.ps1, but got the following error :

    [PS] E:\E2007\Scripts>resetsearchindex.ps1 -force <dbname>
    Get-MailboxDatabase : The operation could not be performed because object '<dbname>' could not be found on domain controller 'xxxxxx'.
    At E:\E2007\Scripts\ResetSearchIndex.ps1:81 char:36
    +             $mbdbList+= (get-mailboxdatabase  <<<< $a).Name
    WARNING: Waiting for service 'Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer
    (MSExchangeSearch)' to finish stopping...
    WARNING: Waiting for service 'Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer
    (MSExchangeSearch)' to finish stopping...
    WARNING: Waiting for service 'Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer
    (MSExchangeSearch)' to finish stopping...

    Anyone can help ?
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:51 AM
  • Follow the following articles.

    How to Rebuild the Full-Text Index Catalog
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995966(EXCHG.80).aspx

    Managing Exchange Search
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998289(EXCHG.80).aspx

    If the above mentioned links doesnt help then reinstall MSFTE.MSI and follow the above steps again.

    -Arun
    Arun Kumar | MCSE - 2K3 + Messaging | ITIL-F V3
    Friday, January 29, 2010 11:14 AM
  • Hello Koco,

    I had tried with the below mentioned shell command and succeeded.

    Get-MailboxDatabase “MailbxoServerName04\Database15\MailboxServerName04 Database 15” | ResetSearchIndex.ps1 [-force]

    Where- you have to put your Mailbox server's name and database name and run the command as it is. This will auto stop the search service, wipe the catalog and then again start the service. As soon as the service gets started, the catalog will be again.

    Let me know in case you may still face the issue so more.

    Thanks!

    Friday, August 26, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Hello,

    at the first command you have the parameter "force" in brackets []. It has to be run without these.

    At the second command you have <dbname> as name for the database. You have to provide the correct databasename. You can find out the correct name in the EMC or in the EMS via Get-MailboxDatabase.

    Greetings,

    Toni

    Friday, August 26, 2011 10:00 AM
  • Hello,

    at the first command you have the parameter "force" in brackets []. It has to be run without these.

    At the second command you have <dbname> as name for the database. You have to provide the correct databasename. You can find out the correct name in the EMC or in the EMS via Get-MailboxDatabase.

    Greetings,

    Toni


    Hello Da,

    Any justification for eliminating the "[-Force]" switch from the first command? As what I applied was the same command and it resulted me fine. I must say very fine.

     

    Thanks !
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Hello,

    I think starting the script with -Force is the same than deleting the files of the Search Catalog from the file system.

    I just suggested that Koco should run the command with -force and not with [-force] like he did since he got an error with [-force] (this can't work).

    Greetings,

    Toni

    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:43 PM
  • Hello,

    Thanks for the clarification provided. I was believing you said that not to use "Force" switch. But fine now.. I agree with your point that brackets are not to be used.

    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:41 PM