none
OWA 2007 user unable to login

Question

• I have one user who can not login to OWA, but has no problems with the full Outlook client.  When he tries to login to OWA, he receives a message stating "The item that you attempted to access appears to be corrupted and cannot be accessed"  and the following error dump.

Request
    Url: https://webmail.doman.com:443/owa/default.aspx
    User host address: (I've removed the IP)

Exception
    Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.CorruptDataException
    Exception message: The configuration object data is corrupted. Field = UserConfigurationType.

Call stack

Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.UserConfiguration.BuildConfigurationFromQueryItem(Folder folder, Object[] row)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.UserConfiguration.GetIgnoringCache(UserConfigurationManager manager, Folder folder, String configurationName, UserConfigurationTypes freefetchType)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.UserConfigurationManager.InternalGetUserConfiguration(StoreId folderId, String configurationName, UserConfigurationTypes freefetchDataType)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.UserConfigurationUtilities.GetFolderConfiguration(String configurationName, UserContext userContext, StoreId folderId)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.UserContext.GetAllFolderPolicy()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.UserContext.OnPostLoadUserContext()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.RequestDispatcher.PrepareRequestWithoutSession(OwaContext owaContext, UserContextCookie userContextCookie)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.RequestDispatcher.InternalDispatchRequest(OwaContext owaContext)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.RequestDispatcher.DispatchRequest(OwaContext owaContext)
    System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

I've found other similar posts where the dump was able to highlight the problem. However, I am not seeing anything in this one to help me find what is causing this problem. If anybody can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

My System:  Exchange Server 2007 SP3 Rollup 2 Running on Windows Server 2008 sp2 (Not r2).

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:17 PM

Answers

• Since the error message mentions corruption, I can only suggest running ISINTEG when things are quiet:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-ISINTEG-ESEUTIL.html

Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP
    www.owa-pda.com
    email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m
    • Proposed as answer by Gavin-Zhang Friday, January 14, 2011 9:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:51 AM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Hi B.G.G,

Per the log, it seems the mailbox has some corruption. So, please test as Lee referred.
    If just one user has the issue, how about move the mailbox to other database store, and then make a test.
    Or, we could create a new mailbox, and link it to the account, and then move the items to the new mailbox.

Regards!
    Gavin
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Edited by Gavin-Zhang Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:30 AM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Ok, we had the same problem after a huge database issue. What I finally found to work was to use mfcmapi.exe and open that user up in there. If you right click on the inbox, you can choose open associated contants table. This sill show you a bunch if junk. For us, this was the corrupted data in question. If you sort by subject and remove all of the rules labelled as Err:0x8004010F=MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND this will resolve your problem. We also found that for at least one user, their OOF didnt work either. We had to do the same thing in the calendar to resolve this issue
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Friday, June 08, 2012 1:52 AM
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 7:01 PM

All replies

• Can other users use OWA? Try this tool: https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/.  In addition, try recreating the user and see if it does anything.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Yes, all other users are able to access OWA. 

I did not see a test OWA feature on the https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com tool. Which test should I use?

When you say recreating the user, what do you mean?  Delete the mailbox and re-create?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Can you verify that the user is set to inherit persissions from parent in AD?  Check:

1.Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
    2.Click View , and then click Advanced Features .

Note To make the Security tab available at both the user level and the organizational unit level, you must enable the Advanced Features option in Active Directory Users and Computers. This option is available under the View menu.

3.Open the properties for both the user level and the organizational unit level that the users are located in, and then locate the Security tab.
    4.Click Advanced .
    5.Make sure that the following check box is selected:
    Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this object and all child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here.
    6.Force Active Directory replication

Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:56 PM
  • It says that something is corrupted (the UserConfigurationType field), but I can't find out what this does.  If Outlook is okay, but OWA is not, then maybe it has something to do with storing the user's OWA configuration options.  Does it help if the user selects the 'Basic' OWA GUI at logon (assuming that you have Forms-Based Authentication ebabled, otherwise, you will not see the choice)?
    www.owa-pda.com
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Can you verify that the user is set to inherit persissions from parent in AD?  Check:

1.Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
    2.Click View , and then click Advanced Features .

Note To make the Security tab available at both the user level and the organizational unit level, you must enable the Advanced Features option in Active Directory Users and Computers. This option is available under the View menu.

3.Open the properties for both the user level and the organizational unit level that the users are located in, and then locate the Security tab.
    4.Click Advanced .
    5.Make sure that the following check box is selected:
    Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this object and all child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here.
    6.Force Active Directory replication

Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington

TWHarrington, Thank you for the post. 

I went to the Advanced settings and "Inherity from parent..." is checked.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:01 PM
  • It says that something is corrupted (the UserConfigurationType field), but I can't find out what this does.  If Outlook is okay, but OWA is not, then maybe it has something to do with storing the user's OWA configuration options.  Does it help if the user selects the 'Basic' OWA GUI at logon (assuming that you have Forms-Based Authentication ebabled, otherwise, you will not see the choice)?
    www.owa-pda.com

Thanks Lee.  Inside our domain we do not have forms based authentication turned on.   I will try connecting to our public WiFi and see if I can use the light owa.

UPDATE:  I just connected to our public wifi network and tried to access owa.  When presented with the choice, I selected the light version.  Unfortunately, the same error was generated.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Since the error message mentions corruption, I can only suggest running ISINTEG when things are quiet:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-ISINTEG-ESEUTIL.html

www.owa-pda.com
    • Proposed as answer by Gavin-Zhang Friday, January 14, 2011 9:05 AM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Hi B.G.G,

Per the log, it seems the mailbox has some corruption. So, please test as Lee referred.
    If just one user has the issue, how about move the mailbox to other database store, and then make a test.
    Or, we could create a new mailbox, and link it to the account, and then move the items to the new mailbox.

Regards!
    Gavin
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Edited by Gavin-Zhang Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:30 AM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Gavin

I'd like to test this approach on a user who has this issue, i have about 15-100 users who may be affected.  What would be the steps to create a new mailbox and then link it to the account?

Do I need to create a new user and mailbox?  I'm running exchange 2007 SP1.

Thanks for any assistance

--Brian

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Hi Brian,

If you want to create a new mailbox and then connect to the account, you could follow below procedures:
    1. export the item from the present mailbox to as PST file, you could refer to below:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb266964(EXCHG.80).aspx
    2. disable the present mailbox
    3. create a new mailbox and chose the account
    4. import the pst into the new mailbox
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691363(EXCHG.80).aspx
    I would sugest that you could make some tests before you do it for the product users.

Regards!
    Gavin
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:52 AM
  • Ok, we had the same problem after a huge database issue. What I finally found to work was to use mfcmapi.exe and open that user up in there. If you right click on the inbox, you can choose open associated contants table. This sill show you a bunch if junk. For us, this was the corrupted data in question. If you sort by subject and remove all of the rules labelled as Err:0x8004010F=MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND this will resolve your problem. We also found that for at least one user, their OOF didnt work either. We had to do the same thing in the calendar to resolve this issue
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Friday, June 08, 2012 1:52 AM
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 7:01 PM
  • we had similar issue two of our users cannot login using Internet Explorer normally, but can login using OWA light on IE, Firefox and chrome. I figured ou that OWAPremiumClient for those two users was disabled. Im not sure how it got disabled probably, must have happened when restoring the mailbox (we had a Server crash) but other permissions like (those mailboxes were shared among many users) FCA permission on them as it was. Hope this helps someone

Thanks & Regards

• Edited by vasim_s31 Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:51 AM
    • Proposed as answer by vasim_s31 Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:51 AM
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:50 AM