none
Unable to display folder. microsoft office outlook could not access the specified folder location

Question

• I have created a distribution group so that 7 users in the sales dept can access the same email.

I have already set one up for the admin dept and it worked, I then created a readme file that has a snapshot of all the permissions etc that were required including Security and Distributions.  For some reason the one for the sales dept keeps coming up with 'unable to display folder. microsoft office outlook could not access the specified folder location'.

The only user who has access is the administrator.

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

For those who have checked this thread my problem was not going into Exchange Advance - Mailbox rights and adding the user.

I had alot of user to create and missed this section.

Kind Regards Mary - Marlen Computers
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:51 AM

Answers

• If you want to grant access to certain set of people to access shared mailbox then  you need to create Security Group. not the the distribution group.Then add those users to that security Group and then add this Security Group to mailbox rigths tab and set it to Full Mailbox access.

Read below as how to do the same step by step

http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/2008/02/09/exchange-2003-assigning-permissions-to-additional-mailboxes/
    Vinod |CCNA|MCSE 2003 +Messaging|MCTS|ITIL V3|
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:11 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:08 PM
  • Agree with Vinod, it has to be the security group (KB 941318)

Per my knowledge, your task can’t be accomplished in the exchange natively. As you have shared YY, and give full access permission to sales dept. All the changes will be synchronized so that everyone is on the same page

If you want the people to keep their own copies of messages, the mails can be sent from distribution group to everyone, so all people can modify the copies in their own mailbox

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:56 AM

All replies

• If you want to grant access to certain set of people to access shared mailbox then  you need to create Security Group. not the the distribution group.Then add those users to that security Group and then add this Security Group to mailbox rigths tab and set it to Full Mailbox access.

Read below as how to do the same step by step

http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/2008/02/09/exchange-2003-assigning-permissions-to-additional-mailboxes/
    Vinod |CCNA|MCSE 2003 +Messaging|MCTS|ITIL V3|
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:08 PM
  • Thanks Vinod for your quick reply.

Will this also allow users to delete emails in their email inbox and have it not effect other users...similar to their own personal email e.g.

xx@iinet.net.au is an email address for the individual user - they have full access to this particular email address and do what they want delete, send etc.

yy@iinet.net.au is an email address for all sales staff - we want them to have full access to this particular email address and do what they want delete, send etc the only difference is each user would need to delete an email for it to go out of their inbox etc.  If user A leave the email in their inbox and user B deletes their copy user A still retains their email copy.

That is why at present we use distribution groups e.g. YYDistribution Mary is specific to Mary and she can do what she wishes without effecting other sales staff.

To add YYDistribution Mary to Outlook 2007 we do the following - Tools - Account Settings - Microsoft Exchange - More Settings - Advanced - Add - YYDistribution Mary.

Thanks for your help

Kind Regards Mary - Marlen Computers
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:16 AM
  • Agree with Vinod, it has to be the security group (KB 941318)

Per my knowledge, your task can’t be accomplished in the exchange natively. As you have shared YY, and give full access permission to sales dept. All the changes will be synchronized so that everyone is on the same page

If you want the people to keep their own copies of messages, the mails can be sent from distribution group to everyone, so all people can modify the copies in their own mailbox

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:56 AM