none
Can't send email to Smartermail server from exchange

Question

• Dear colleague ,

We have the below situation :

An exchange 2007 domain w/o Edge transport server instead a SMTP relay server(IIS 6.0) and an ISA server 2006 in front of this Mailrelay .

It is about one week that We have problem sending to SmarterMail 9.0 with error 4.7.7 from exchange 2007.

error 4006 is shown as smtsvc in eventlog .

This error shows some hop count limitation on exchange but we have no problem sending to all other domains.

Strange is that i can telnet to their mailserver from our mailrelay (iis) and send email using smtp commands but when using outlook to send ,they can't receive it.

What extra steps should i take to solve this problem ?

Sunday, March 04, 2012 10:33 AM

Answers

• hi,

problem solved . they had their server hosted elsewhere and over there some restrictions had been applied .By removing the restrictions now everything is OK .     

"It is so hard to have problem with people who have no IT base , my case was this and I had more than 10 days to argue with them to finally make them accept that the fault was very simple "

Thanks very much to Sembee for his corporation

• Edited by Ali Khoshbin Saturday, March 10, 2012 7:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ali Khoshbin Saturday, March 10, 2012 7:39 AM
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 7:36 AM

All replies

• I use telnet (port 23) to login to their server ,so their telnet server sends smtp commands to their own mail server .this may helps

How i can test if their port 25 is not closed for my domain ,i mean not using telnet for it .

Sunday, March 04, 2012 11:31 AM
  • You don't understand the use of telnet for testing servers.

You do not telnet to their server in the regular way, you use telnet with port 25:

telnet mail.example.com 25

http://exchange.sembee.info/network/telnet-test.asp

If you are getting an error in Exchange but are using a smart host, then that would indicate the issue is with your smart host accepting the email, not the remote server.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Hi simon ,

I can send email to all other domains except this specific domain with smartermail .

Do you mean that i need to configure my smarthost ? or I should ask them to change any configureation ?

They are indicating that my domain's name & IP are in their white list ,also will see the connection from my domain when telnetting to their server but not when I send email from outlook which goes through my exchange 2007 .

Thanks for your comments.

Monday, March 05, 2012 5:45 AM
  • Do you send email OUT through the IIS server, or does it go direct from Exchange?

Simon.

Monday, March 05, 2012 7:40 PM
  • hi ,

IIS is acting as Smarthost . All company emails destined for external will be sent to iis server and then our iis server  will send out emails out the company through a isa server.

We have no problem with any other companies except this company that has smarterhost .in iis logs i see following errors :

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: smtpsvc
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4006
    Date:  3/5/2012
    Time:  10:44:20 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: Server

Description:
    Message delivery to the host X.Y.Z.W' failed while delivering to the remote domain 'domain.com' for the following reason: The connection was dropped by the remote host.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: d3 02 04 c0               Ó..À   

Also at the receiving side , they see a connection from our domain with 0 byte receiving and this does not increases till disappears .

Thanks for your kind and precious cooperation.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 4:40 AM
  • The fault then is with the IIS server or ISA server and not Exchange. For whatever reason the connection is not being established correctly through ISA server. I cannot help you with ISA - it is not something I have used very much of.

Simon.

Thursday, March 08, 2012 3:59 PM
  • hi,

problem solved . they had their server hosted elsewhere and over there some restrictions had been applied .By removing the restrictions now everything is OK .     

"It is so hard to have problem with people who have no IT base , my case was this and I had more than 10 days to argue with them to finally make them accept that the fault was very simple "

Thanks very much to Sembee for his corporation

• Edited by Ali Khoshbin Saturday, March 10, 2012 7:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ali Khoshbin Saturday, March 10, 2012 7:39 AM
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 7:36 AM