none
Spelling Check hangs Outlook 2003

Question

• Hi!  Can anyone help?  I am at my wits' end with Outlook 2003.  Frequently when I reply to an e-mail and Send, if I let the "on send" spelling check get into the message under reply, Outlook goes into an endless loop.  It stops responding (hangs) while showing an hourglass.  Task Manager reports that it is using 49 - 50% of the CPU.  I can leave it as long as I like --overnight, even-- and it never finishes.

If I shut down Outlook using Task Manager, restart, and find the reply in Drafts (if I was sensible enough to save it first!) then I can send, and the point where it hung is the first word which the spelling checker does not like in the message to which I am responding (often my correspondent's e-mail address).

A spelling check before sending often responds the same way.

I am not using Word as my e-mail editor: That was worse in many ways.

Outlook has now started an even more disastrous variation on the above: If while editing I simply click in the message under reply, it goes into an endless loop using 49 - 50% of the CPU.

I have repaired Office 2003 and the problem persists.

There is not a hint of this problem on the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

If no-one has any ideas for solving this, can anyone recommend a decent (i.e. non-Microsoft) e-mail program?

Thanks and RICKgards
    Rick Raubenheimer

Friday, April 04, 2008 1:06 PM

All replies

• Have you tried starting Outlook in safe mode?  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP030823931033.aspx

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 6:25 PM
  • you need to go into tools menu>options>format>untick"use word 2003 as outlook email editor".

then check in tools menu>options>spelling>check if"use spell check before sending email"is ticked.(if not tick it)

thats all . Hope this will help.

Cheers

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 12:19 AM
  • Dear Friend,

Thanks for your help, i tried the same. But my outlook/word keeps hanging & crashing if i go to below options menions by you.

you need to go into tools menu>options>format>untick"use word 2003 as outlook email editor".

then check in tools menu>options>spelling>check if"use spell check before sending email"is ticked.(if not tick it)

please help me with any other suggestions.

Cheers

Kapils

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:06 AM