none
Exchange 2010/Outlook 2010 message read tracking not working

Question

• We have a single Exchange 2010sp1 enterprise server in our environment, with everyone running Outlook 2010

There is a problem with the message tracking feature and I don't know if its an Outlook or Exchange issue.

If someone sends out an email internally, requests a delivery and read receipt, the sent item does not have the proper icon for message tracking.

Although, the recipient does receive a request for read receipt, and the read receipt is returned to the sender.

But no tracking is provided on the original sent item which is in the sent folder.

I have tested this with Cache Mode on/off with the same results.

Can anyone help with this? 

Thank you!

Craig

Monday, May 02, 2011 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. If someone sends out an email internally, requests a delivery and read receipt, the sent item does not have the proper icon for message tracking

When a user tags the original message to request a delivery and read receipt, a property tag gets attached to the message: PR_REPORT_TAG. This property tag is used to match the original message and the receipts and update the tracking information in Outlook and should exist in all related messages (original, delivery receipts, and read receipts). We can use a tool like MFCMAPI, to view the properties of the different messages.

Could you please check if the original message really not be tagged correctly?

2. Although, the recipient does receive a request for read receipt, and the read receipt is returned to the sender.

I think it due to the recipient configuration.

Click “File”àOptionsàMail, ticket “Always send a read receipt” under “Tracking”.

You could also select “Ask each time whether to send a read receipt”

If you want to receive delivery receipts, you must meet the following requirements.

1. Enable read and delivery receipt at Outlook side.

2. Could you please try this command: Set-ReceiveConnector -DeliveryStatusNotificationEnabled $true

Resource:

Exchange 2010 Delivery Reports

Everything you wanted to know about read receipts and delivery reports but were (understandably) afraid to ask

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:19 AM
  • So now the message tracking works fine. The only issue is that you can’t find the “Tracking” icon in sent items.

The tracking information only appears when you receive a response. For example, you send a message requesting a read receipt. The copy of the message in your Sent Items folder does not include the "i" on the envelope, nor does it contain a Tracking tab. When the recipient opens your message, the read receipt is sent to you and the copy of the message in your sent Items folder changes to include a Tracking tab and the "i" on the envelope. To use tracking options you must format your message as rich text.

More information:

Information icon displayed for sent items in Outlook

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 09, 2011 2:05 AM
  • You may go Outlook forum which would be the most relevant forum for your question.

Outlook IT Pro Discussions

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/threads

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. If someone sends out an email internally, requests a delivery and read receipt, the sent item does not have the proper icon for message tracking

When a user tags the original message to request a delivery and read receipt, a property tag gets attached to the message: PR_REPORT_TAG. This property tag is used to match the original message and the receipts and update the tracking information in Outlook and should exist in all related messages (original, delivery receipts, and read receipts). We can use a tool like MFCMAPI, to view the properties of the different messages.

Could you please check if the original message really not be tagged correctly?

2. Although, the recipient does receive a request for read receipt, and the read receipt is returned to the sender.

I think it due to the recipient configuration.

Click “File”àOptionsàMail, ticket “Always send a read receipt” under “Tracking”.

You could also select “Ask each time whether to send a read receipt”

If you want to receive delivery receipts, you must meet the following requirements.

1. Enable read and delivery receipt at Outlook side.

2. Could you please try this command: Set-ReceiveConnector -DeliveryStatusNotificationEnabled $true

Resource:

Exchange 2010 Delivery Reports

Everything you wanted to know about read receipts and delivery reports but were (understandably) afraid to ask

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Hi Jerome,

I checked, and it looks like the PR_REPORT_TAG value is on the sent item

The "Always send a read receipt" was not enabled under Tracking.

The DeliveryStatusNotificationEnabled was already set to True.

I have even tried sending test emails to myself with Requesting Read Receipts....I get the email, it tells me that the person is requesting a read receipt, I say YES to send it back.  I receive the Read confirmation back in my mailbox.   But my original sent item that is in my Sent box does not display the correct icon for tracking, and does not allow the tracking button to appear.

It is very strange.

Friday, May 06, 2011 5:39 PM
  • So now the message tracking works fine. The only issue is that you can’t find the “Tracking” icon in sent items.

The tracking information only appears when you receive a response. For example, you send a message requesting a read receipt. The copy of the message in your Sent Items folder does not include the "i" on the envelope, nor does it contain a Tracking tab. When the recipient opens your message, the read receipt is sent to you and the copy of the message in your sent Items folder changes to include a Tracking tab and the "i" on the envelope. To use tracking options you must format your message as rich text.

More information:

Information icon displayed for sent items in Outlook

Monday, May 09, 2011 2:05 AM
  • I tried switching to Rich Text, but that did not help.

Thanks,

Craig

Monday, May 09, 2011 7:19 PM
  • You may go Outlook forum which would be the most relevant forum for your question.

Outlook IT Pro Discussions

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/threads

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:35 AM
  • Thanks, I will try that.

The only reason I posted it here was because it was happening to everyone within our Exchange org.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:49 PM
  • I have same problem with my Outlook 2010

It does not send/receive read request...It is not working

Although I have set in Options/Mail/Tracking and also in single mail's optins

Cant find solution

Any idea?

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:54 AM