none
Exchange 2007 Junk Mail going to iPhone but not Inbox (not all users)

Question

• Exchange 2007
    10+ iPhone users
    Two iPhone users are experiencing this issue.

Junk Mail is being filtered through PolicyPatrol and a [SPAM] tag is added to the Subject and an SCL value added.  Exchange 2007 takes that message based on it's SCL value and moves it to users Junk E-mail folder.  No other filtering is performed (i.e. Outlook Junk E-mail filtering)

For some reason, two iPhone 4 users, running 4.3 iOS, are getting Junk E-mail in their Inbox on the iPhone.  Outlook and OWA does not show those messages in the Inbox, they are where they belong, the Junk E-mail folder.  Outlook's Junk E-mail filtering is disabled

The way I understand it, ActiveSync just reads what is in the Folder so why is ActiveSync reading Junk Mail as an Inbox message?  All other iPhone users are not experiencing this issue.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:03 PM

Answers

• Do you have Antispam feature also enabled on your exchange box. if so then you will have to update it against the mailboxes.

Where Technology Meets Talent
    Friday, November 18, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Hello,

The spam filter is handled by HUB or Edge. However, the ActiveSync directly sync the emails from the user mailbox. Does this issue happen only to iPhone users? How about other ActiveSync users?

I still believe there are client side email filtering application. Please disable all the AV programs. Then only use OWA and mobile phone to check emails and see if the issue persists.

Thanks,

Simon

Monday, November 21, 2011 6:49 AM

All replies

• Do you have Antispam feature also enabled on your exchange box. if so then you will have to update it against the mailboxes.

Where Technology Meets Talent
    Friday, November 18, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Hello,

The spam filter is handled by HUB or Edge. However, the ActiveSync directly sync the emails from the user mailbox. Does this issue happen only to iPhone users? How about other ActiveSync users?

I still believe there are client side email filtering application. Please disable all the AV programs. Then only use OWA and mobile phone to check emails and see if the issue persists.

Thanks,

Simon

Monday, November 21, 2011 6:49 AM
  • We were able to resolve this issue for our users by having the users log into the exchange Outlook Web Access (OWA) and navigate to the “Block or Allow” panel under Mail options.

Check “Automatically filter junk e-mail” under Junk E-Mail Settings and save the settings.

These settings should propagate to any device using OWA interface for Exchange Sync including iPhones (at least if you are running Exchange Server 2010).

Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:42 PM