none
Migration Interforest

Question

• Dears,

there is migration work from 1 forest to another forest

both forests are Windows 2008 R2, source forest is Exchange 2010. Distenation forest (nothing yet installed) will be exchange 2010 also

currently we are testing migration for groups and users (SID, PWD, Local Profile) and computers.

everything seems to be going well.

My Questions right now are (Sorry, but this job came suddnly and I am forced to do it today before tomorrow so I need help on it):

1. Do you recommend to migrate the 1000 users and compuers to new forest then migrate exchange mailboxes? or To Migrate each 100 USers and computers then them boxes untill we finished the all migration?
    2. What tool do you prefer to migrate mailboxes?
    3. Any suggestion for the steps?
    4. Any blog with snapshot to help to understand the process?

Thanks

Sunday, April 01, 2012 8:09 PM

All replies

• 1. Either way is fine.

2. New-MoveRequest for mailbox moves between forests, ADMT for migrating User Accounts, Computer Accounts, and Distribution Groups

3. http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/08/10/3410619.aspx

4. See 3.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
    MCSA 2000/2003
    MCTS: Win Server 2008 AD, Configuration MCTS: Win Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuration
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server

NOTICE: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Monday, April 09, 2012 1:54 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jean M Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:48 PM
    Sunday, April 01, 2012 11:07 PM
  • 1. Either way is fine.

2. New-MoveRequest for mailbox moves between forests, ADMT for migrating User Accounts, Computer Accounts, and Distribution Groups

3. http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/08/10/3410619.aspx

4. See 3.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
    MCSA 2000/2003
    MCTS: Win Server 2008 AD, Configuration MCTS: Win Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuration
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server

NOTICE: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

I want to know, if its possible to Run ADMT Tool to migrate Groups and Users then to Run Prepare-MoveRequest.ps1 script, if not, what is the reason?

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:48 PM