none
outlook is trying to retrieve data from the exchange

Question

• Hi All

1. Hub/Cas Role - Exchange 2010 SP2+SP21 running on VMware 8GB Ram, 8 processor

2. Mailbox Role -  Exchange 2010 SP2+SP1 running on physical server, 16GB Ram.

I’m using outlook 2010, Intermittently when I try to send or open an email, outlook freezes and displaying "outlook is trying to retrieve data from the exchange server.

Much appreciate if someone can help me with this

Cheers

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:58 PM

All replies

• Are you running outlook in cached mode?
    Friday, March 23, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Hi,

only one user is affected by this failure? What about your network connections Is Outlook in online mode? Please check this first.

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com

Friday, March 23, 2012 8:09 PM
  • The reason why this particular problem is tricky to troubleshoot is this: while the popup itself is an indication that the client it taking a long time to get some information from the server, this delay can be caused by many things. Some of them are:

- Exchange server performance problems
       - client (or add-in) problems
       - network related issues
       - large number of items in mailboxes
       - Active Directory related issues (performance issues etc)

When trying to identify the cause of those problems, it is usually the best to figure out the scope of the problem first. Problem scope might tell you a lot about the cause itself. For example, if all (or majority) of your clients are experiencing issues, then the problem is most likely server related (or network on the server side related). If there is a subset of users that are seeing those problems - it is best to try figure what is different about those clients as opposed to other clients you might have. Looks for commonalities, such as - they are all connecting through a specific VPN server, over a specific switch, they are all on the same subnet, they are using the same add-in, etc. Finding the common ground is not always simple but it is usually worth the trouble.

Additionally, the server mentioned in those popups can also be one of your Domain Controllers, not just Exchange servers. Or it could be your dedicated public folder server, and not your mailbox server. Make sure to understand what clients are having hard time communicating with.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some step by step information you can check to resolve the issue. Follow further link steps.

http://anandthearchitect.wordpress.com/2008/03/08/rpc-cancel-request-dialog-box-or-otherwise-called-outlook-is-trying-to-retrieve-data-from-microsoft-exchange/

http://anandthearchitect.wordpress.com/2008/01/13/outlook-is-trying-to-retrieve-data-from-microsoft-exchange/

Hope this will help you......

Friday, March 23, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Hi,

You can help to get more informtaion

Information to collect:
    1. RPC trace log and network monitor log
    2. A screen shot of the pop-up dialog box
    3. The exact time when the credential box prompt (e.g. 15:25 PM)
    4. The IP/Machine Name of the problem workstation and the Exchange server
    5. The user account that you use to logon Outlook

Rowen

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 26, 2012 2:31 AM
  • Hi Rowen

Thanks for your reply

1. RPC trace log and network monitor log for the Hub/Cas server ?

Many thanks

Monday, March 26, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Hi All

I'm not running outlook in cached mode. Anyone here to help me out.

Cheers

Monday, March 26, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Please see the attached file for the error
    Monday, March 26, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Check the connection status > Hold down Ctrl and right click OLK ico in sys tray?

Try hitting reconnect a few times to see if OLF tries to connect?

If using PF DB, make sure they are all replicated and associated correctly to the correct DB.

Can you check if you are connecting via RPC or HTTP in the OLF profile.

Sukh

Monday, March 26, 2012 10:32 PM