none
Blocked senders/spam mail doesn't work, spam mail appears in inboxes, Exchange 2007

Question

• Hello,

my company has a problem with our internal exchange. The problem is that even a user blocks a certain user, exchange/outlook will still deliver mails coming from the blocked user to the user inbox. I did some research on the net, i found out that many people have the same problem, but i didn't find any "real" solution. Every now and then someone came out with a solution but it only works in his case etc. It seems a bit random.

Does anyone know what to do to fix this problem?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:00 AM

All replies

• This line explains why the Sender Filter Blocking may very often seem not work:

“The Sender Filter agent relies on the MAIL FROM: Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) header to determine what action, if any, to take on an inbound e-mail message.”

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124354(v=EXCHG.80).aspx

So to explain, you have to understand that in an SMTP emails there are a number of places where a sender address may appear. You have the MAIL FROM SMTP Protocol address, you have the FROM header (the one Outlook shows) and others.

Now it is possible for all these addresses to be different from each other and it is very normal for these to be spoofed.

So if you go to blacklist an address you pick from the From header, this might not match the one supplied at the SMTP FROM.

The bottom line is that Sender Address Blocking is not effective when it come to filtering spam.

IMF Tune - Unleash the Full Intelligent Message Filter Power - http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Hello,

thanks for the reply. I know that emails are very easy to spoof. The problem is not that, though. Atleast not my case: I blocked my personal mail for testing purposes, and it still won't filter anything. And yes, i didn't spoof my emails :)

So... still don't know what to do.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:41 AM
  • Hi Dobromir,

Do you mean if the internal user blocks a certain user(B) using "Junk E-mail options"->Blocked Senders, the internal user will still receive the Inbox mails from B? The B is internal user or external user?

Do all internal users have the same problem? Outlook online mode or cached mode?

Did you also try to add B in your Outlook account's Blocked Senders, can you receive the mails in Inbox?

If you also add the B to "Safe Senders", the mails will still go to Inbox.

Frank Wang
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:55 AM
  • Contact your email provider and tell them what the problem is they should be able to fix it relatively   easy. Or you can experiment with your email settings to you figure something out
    • Proposed as answer by DaMan92 Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:41 PM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:41 PM