none
Exchange 2010 indivudual mailbox size recommendation

Question

• Hello,

Is there a Microsoft recommendation on mailbox size for Exchange 2010 mailboxes? I understand there is a technote refering to item counts and overall store size, but nothing about mailbox size. I like to use this as a criteria for setting up storage quotas.In Exchange 2003 MS had a recommendation of 2-4GB.

TIA

Tom

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please, refer to the thread below for information,

What is the maximum supported mailbox size in exchange 2010 ?

Hope it will helpful.

Andrey Podlesnykh | MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCSA

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 6:48 AM
  • Hello

Exchange 2010 DB has limit for every mailbox for 2 GB and Also Microsoft recommends the exchange database arte not to be larger than 50 to 100 GB, according to best practices,

So it depends upon your DB mailboxes how much you want to give limitation to avoid this.

Thanks Mouzzam Hussain Visit to my Blog mouzzamh.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:20 AM
  • "The bestpractice is to set a limit that in aggregate is less than the available disk space" --- Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Best Practices

As far as I know, there isn't a best practice to setting indivudual mailbox size in Exchange 2010. 

I think it depends. You should consider the disk space, different users' needs, various kinds of SLA (such as backup\restore) and also the Outlook limit like Andrey's link said when you decide the quotas of the mailboxes.

Jack Zhou - MSFT

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please, refer to the thread below for information,

What is the maximum supported mailbox size in exchange 2010 ?

Hope it will helpful.

Andrey Podlesnykh | MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCSA

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 6:48 AM
  • Hello

Exchange 2010 DB has limit for every mailbox for 2 GB and Also Microsoft recommends the exchange database arte not to be larger than 50 to 100 GB, according to best practices,

So it depends upon your DB mailboxes how much you want to give limitation to avoid this.

Thanks Mouzzam Hussain Visit to my Blog mouzzamh.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:20 AM
  • "The bestpractice is to set a limit that in aggregate is less than the available disk space" --- Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Best Practices

As far as I know, there isn't a best practice to setting indivudual mailbox size in Exchange 2010. 

I think it depends. You should consider the disk space, different users' needs, various kinds of SLA (such as backup\restore) and also the Outlook limit like Andrey's link said when you decide the quotas of the mailboxes.

Jack Zhou - MSFT

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:44 AM