none
How are external smtp messages processed

Question

• If you have the same message being sent to distribution list made up of 50 external recipients which recipients would be processed first?  Is it done randomly or alphabetically or some other way?

John Negus - MSEtechnology
    Friday, February 12, 2010 2:41 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

As per my research, Mails are Not delivered Alphabetically or Radomly. It depends on Active Directory object in the Microsoft Exchange organization.

Recipient resolution is the process of expanding and resolving all the recipients in a message. The act of resolving the recipients matches a recipient to the corresponding Active Directory object in the Microsoft Exchange organization. The act of expanding the recipients expands all distribution groups into a list of individual recipients. Recipient resolution allows message limits and alternative recipients to be applied correctly to each recipient.

In a Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 organization, recipient resolution is performed by the categorizer on a server that has the Hub Transport server role installed. Categorization on each message happens after a newly arrived message is put in the Submission queue. Recipient resolution, in addition to content conversion and routing, is performed on the message before the message is put in a delivery queue. The categorizer performs recipient resolution before routing. The component of the categorizer that's responsible for recipient resolution is frequently called the resolver

For more detailed Recipient Resolution and Bifurcation process, you may read the following article.

Ref to:

Understanding Recipient Resolution
     http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb430743.aspx

All the Best :)

Sathish Kumar Elango | MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging | http://msexchangehelp.wordpress.com
    Friday, February 12, 2010 5:21 PM
  • Thank you Sathish,

But your reply did not answer my question. I should of been more detail in my question.

I am talking about external addresses.  After the message goes through the catagorizer it is placed in the Delivery Queue where a queue is created for each SMTP domain the message is being sent too.  I want to know how and in what order the Delivery Queue creates the queues and which order it processes them.  Is is done randomly, alphabetically or some other method.

I am also aware that depending which GC you query in AD the objects can be returned in any order. So does that play a part in the order of processing.  I would think that the Delivery Queue creates the Queues in batches (not sure if that is true) but what order does it proecess these queues.

I am trying to determine if certain domain names are processed before others.

For example:

user1@aaa.com in processed before user1@bbb.com 

Regards, John

John Negus - MSEtechnology
    Friday, February 12, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Hi John,

According to my research.

Catagroizer picks up one mail object from Submission Queue in First come First Process Algorithm.

Once Catagroizer determine the external mail object it will be submitted to Remote deliver queue.

For example, you send a mail to user1@aaa.com and user1@bbb.com .

They both will be submitted in aaa.com remote delivery queue and bbb.com remote delivery.

Now there is no priority given for those domain queues.

The order of remote domain mail delivery depends on the connectivity and cost of connections between local Hub Server and Remote Hub Server.

If aaa.com hub server made connection quickly with your local hub server then it will be submitted. ( compared to bbb.com )
     If bbb.com hub server made connection quickly with your local hub server then it will be submitted. ( compared to aaa.com )

Thank you :)
    Sathish Kumar Elango | MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging | http://msexchangehelp.wordpress.com
    Friday, February 12, 2010 8:57 PM