none
Configuration Required on CASes before NLB

Question

• Hello All,

I need to NLB two CAS Servers, apart from network and other things what is required to be done on the CAS sERVERS?

-  I have already added internal and external URLs on OWA, ECP AND MICROSOFT-SERVER-ACTIVESYNC

- Have configured outlook anywhere on both

what else is required?

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:04 AM

Answers

• If you want to route all web services through the NLB, then you will need a second URL for web services. One that is different to the RPC CAS Array host name, but can use the same IP address. I would usually start with pointing the host names at the actual IP address of one of the CAS role servers for testing.

So that could be outlook.domain.local for the RPC CAS Array and owa.domain.com for the web services. You will then need to get an SSL certificate for that name - DO NOT INCLUDING THE RPC CAS ARRAY host name, as it isn't required.

Once you have the certificate you can update the host names inside Exchange to use the new generic host, you will need to do that on both servers. Test it all works before you try and introduce NLB.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You need to create CASarray using powershell for the NLB

http://blogs.technet.com/b/ucedsg/archive/2009/12/06/how-to-setup-an-exchange-2010-cas-array-to-load-balance-mapi.aspx

dont forget to configure DNS entry for this CASARRAY

Regards,

Best Regards Don't forget to mark it as answer if it helps

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:12 AM
  • i have created cas array and have created entry for it in the dns as well.

Anything else remaining?

Settting of externalurl for ews? or autodiscover?

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:28 AM
  • If you want to route all web services through the NLB, then you will need a second URL for web services. One that is different to the RPC CAS Array host name, but can use the same IP address. I would usually start with pointing the host names at the actual IP address of one of the CAS role servers for testing.

So that could be outlook.domain.local for the RPC CAS Array and owa.domain.com for the web services. You will then need to get an SSL certificate for that name - DO NOT INCLUDING THE RPC CAS ARRAY host name, as it isn't required.

Once you have the certificate you can update the host names inside Exchange to use the new generic host, you will need to do that on both servers. Test it all works before you try and introduce NLB.

Simon.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  But, I am going with the same name for both RPC CAS Array and OWA.  It is not recommended and users would face a slight delay, but I wanted to keeps things simple.  So, i have pretty much put mail.abc.com at both internal and external urls of respective virtual directories.  It should not be an issue.  Anything else remaining?

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  But, I am going with the same name for both RPC CAS Array and OWA.  It is not recommended and users would face a slight delay, but I wanted to keeps things simple.  So, i have pretty much put mail.abc.com at both internal and external urls of respective virtual directories.  It should not be an issue.  Anything else remaining?

The CAS array host name isn't used by the end users at all, so I don't see what you are achieving other than causing a delay for Outlook Anywhere, which will cause you grief from the end users. How does having two host names rather than one make things simple?

Simon.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:00 PM