none
#5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 ... Command rejected>

Question

• Running SBS 2003 with all the latest pacthes. 
    My users periodically get bounced back emails that are from the local server with this message: 

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Parents Meeting at Noah Homes Sent: 2/3/2009 9:32 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 

recipient@someotherdomain.com on 2/3/2009 9:32 AM 
    You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. 
    <noahhomes.org #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <recipient@someotherdomain.com>... Command rejected> 

This randomly happens about every day or 2, and usually there is no way to send to this person, except if I try it using OWA, which sometimes that doesnt even send. These users all use Outlook, and they dont like OWA, so this is a problem. There is no filtering on Exchange. 

On another issue, I am not sure if this is related, but - if I try to change a users email alias, for instance: j.doe@mydomain.com to johndoe@mydomain.com, I click ok, it saves it, I can immediately go back in and see the changed email address I entered, but if I wait a minute, it reverts back to the original address (obviously the recipient update service has changed it back).

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 7:24 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

From the NDR message, I notice the message failed to be delivered due to some command is rejected. I would like to know whether the recipient@someotherdomain.com is an external recipient.

If I am right, please let me know the outbound mail flow. I suggest you check the message header of the NDR message in order to know which Server generate the NDR message. If the SBS server generated the NDR message, please enable SMTP protocol log on the SBS on the SMTP Virtual Server.

Please check the SMTP protocol log to check which command is rejected. In addition, please let me know whether the SBS server connects to remote mail server directly.

Mike

• Marked as answer by Mike Shen Monday, February 16, 2009 2:42 AM
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 8:05 AM