none
Outlook prompted for password after reboot of Exchange 2010

Question

• I rebooted a Exchange 2010 server and it caused Outlook clients to prompt for password. They did not automatically reconnect. 

If you put in the password credentials then it connects just fine. 

Outlook Anywhere is not enabled so I am wondering where I should look first? My Outlook connection is configured for "Connect using my Local Area Network (LAN)".  Outlook Anywhere is not checked.

I should mention we have a 2003 box that we are planning on migrating users from and run Office Communicator. If I exit out of Communicator, resign on the reopen Outlook, that works too. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Friday, November 11, 2011 4:31 PM

Answers

• Cached vs noncached didn't make a difference.

I am now able to get Outlook to reconnect automatically if I stop the 'Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access' before rebooting the server.  I just created a shutdown ps script that stops the service. (stop-service msexchangerpc) and it seems to work fine.

If the service is not stopped, rebooting the server gives Outlook a prompt, 'Welcome back to [FQDN of Exchange box]' then requires a password. This happens the second I restart it (before it's even shutdown).

This never happened with 2003 so if this is normal then it stinks as it will cause problems with users. Most people will just close the authentication box  and wonder why they aren't getting email.

• Edited by btenney Monday, November 14, 2011 9:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by btenney Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:54 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 9:51 PM

All replies

• Sounds normal. Is this a  multi-role server or mailbox role or CAS? What are you using for load-balancing if anything?

Friday, November 11, 2011 5:07 PM
  • No load-balancing, CAS, Transport, and MB role all live on the same server.  

Shouldn't Outlook clients automatically reconnect without having to put in credentials?

Friday, November 11, 2011 5:29 PM
  • I would test with both online and cache mode ( Cache mode is the recommended mode), but regardless, when you rebooted, you essentially dropped the store and CAS connection, so that sounds normal.

I will add however that Communicator plays a role as well. Its integrates itself into the Outlook profile pretty heavily.

Friday, November 11, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Cached vs noncached didn't make a difference.

I am now able to get Outlook to reconnect automatically if I stop the 'Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access' before rebooting the server.  I just created a shutdown ps script that stops the service. (stop-service msexchangerpc) and it seems to work fine.

If the service is not stopped, rebooting the server gives Outlook a prompt, 'Welcome back to [FQDN of Exchange box]' then requires a password. This happens the second I restart it (before it's even shutdown).

This never happened with 2003 so if this is normal then it stinks as it will cause problems with users. Most people will just close the authentication box  and wonder why they aren't getting email.

• Edited by btenney Monday, November 14, 2011 9:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by btenney Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:54 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Create a batch file on the all users desktop with the following:

NET STOP msexchangerpc
    Shutdown -r -t 15

Always use this to restart the system. It shuts down the service that causes users to have to log back in. Worked in our case at least.
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:35 PM