none
Outlook 2002 Blank Email Body and Exchange 2010

Question

• Recently upgraded Exchange 2003 to 2010.  The mail client the users are using is Outlook 2002.  Only certain users receive emails with blank bodies from specific outide persons.  This did not start untill the upgrade to 2010 exchange.  They are, however, able to view the body of the blank emails in OWA.  Anyone have any ideas?

More information:

Exchange is installed on Server 2008 64bit

Clients are using Outlook 2002 on Server 2003 with Terminal Services.

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:08 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply.

We have fixed this issue for our users but it is a strange issue.  The users are on a terminal server and was using Outlook 2002.  After upgrading and moving mailboxes to exchange 2010 they started receiving email with blank bodies.  After looking into this, we found that it was only plain text emails and only from certain domains that was showing up blank.  In the process we have upgraded Outlook to 2003 but the issue remained, unable to view blank emails that were in plain text but was able to view in outlook web access.  The fix for us was to create a new mail profile.  I have know idea why this worked but it did.  Hopefully this information will help someone else who is experiencing this issue.

• Marked as answer by JepthaT Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:29 PM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:51 PM

All replies

• 
    Outlook 2002 is not supported on Exchange 2010.  However, I'm not certain that is the cause of your problem.  You might want to look at the Internet headers in Outlook of the messages you're having this problem with and see if there is anything common between them.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    "JepthaT" wrote in message news:46ad5d38-c7a2-4de9-872a-7c6e9ee8c2be...

Recently upgraded Exchange 2003 to 2010.  The mail client the users are using is Outlook 2002.  Only certain users receive emails with blank bodies from specific outide persons.  This did not start untill the upgrade to 2010 exchange.  They are, however, able to view the body of the blank emails in OWA.  Anyone have any ideas?

More information:

Exchange is installed on Server 2008 64bit

Clients are using Outlook 2002 on Server 2003 with Terminal Services.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Unmarked as answer by JepthaT Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:29 PM
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

We have fixed this issue for our users but it is a strange issue.  The users are on a terminal server and was using Outlook 2002.  After upgrading and moving mailboxes to exchange 2010 they started receiving email with blank bodies.  After looking into this, we found that it was only plain text emails and only from certain domains that was showing up blank.  In the process we have upgraded Outlook to 2003 but the issue remained, unable to view blank emails that were in plain text but was able to view in outlook web access.  The fix for us was to create a new mail profile.  I have know idea why this worked but it did.  Hopefully this information will help someone else who is experiencing this issue.

Monday, March 22, 2010 2:51 PM
  • I've already marked this resolved but one thing still bothers me.  Every user on the terminal server has to have their mail profile recreated in order to view blank bodied emails that come in.  What could be the cause of the new profile being able to view the blank bodied email that the old profile could not?
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:21 PM
  • 
    You're using a very old client that hasn't been tested with current Exchange Server products.  It could be any sort of weird anomaly.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "JepthaT" wrote in message news:046f47f5-4566-46ed-943a-0c859db5f1cb...
    I've already marked this resolved but one thing still bothers me.  Every user on the terminal server has to have their mail profile recreated in order to view blank bodied emails that come in.  What could be the cause of the new profile being able to view the blank bodied email that the old profile could not?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:56 AM
  • I have one user with this issue. He was migrated to Exchange 2010 on Sunday. Monday afternoon he was upgraded to Office 2010. He can see the body of said messages in OWA and in Outlook 2003 on a Terminal Server. Deleting and creating a new Outlook Profile didn't help.

Any other thoughts?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:55 PM
  • To update, we have several users using Outlook 2010 and 2007 experiencing this issue. Recreating their Outlook profile does not resolve the issue. No Outlook 2003 users have reported this issue and the same users who are having issues can access OWA or our Terminal Servers (running Office 2003) and view the bodies of the effected emails. Any thoughts?
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Hello,

I've got an identical issue.

95% of my client machines:

• Windows XP Pro (fully patched)
    • Office XP Pro (fully patched)

4% of my client machines:

• Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) (fully patched)
    • Office 2007 Pro (fully patched)

1% of my client machines:

• Windows XP Pro (fully patched)
    • Office 2003 Pro (fully patched)

Before (when everything worked with plain text emails; we had Exchange 2007; but just 2 weeks ago we upgraded to the 2010 version of Exchange and started to experience this blank/plain text email issue on JUST the Outlook XP clients!

New Mailserver:

• Windows Server 2008 (64bit) (fully patched)
    • Microsoft Exchange 2010 (trial - with a license awaiting funding early next month) (fully patched)

The following users have no issues:

Office 2003 / Office 2007 (myself under office 2010 beta) and anyone using Webmail, blackberries or any other mail client.

I've looked at:

• RPC encryption (not the issue, not-required in our setup)
    • Antivirus on the mail server (not the issue, even un-installed it, makes no difference even to new emails, still blank)
    • Antivirus on the client machine (not the issue, again un-installed it, makes no differnce to new emails, still blank)
    • Exchange Hub connectors; specific hub entry for the IP subnet and the Client application (10.0.0.0/24 range / TCP port 587 / auth NONE / permission EXCHANGE USERS). tried every combination; inc authentication methods and I cannot get any other settings to work with Outlook XP.

I'm at a loss; considering downgrading to Exchange 2007.. any guidence would be wonderful!

Friday, June 04, 2010 9:52 AM
  • To throw a spanner in the works :P

Below are the message headers of 2 different sourced plain text emails. Only the one sent from Outlook XP was visible in Outlook XP.

The one generated from our database; has been working successfully with Exchange 2000, then 2003 and 2007; but not Exchange 2010!

Email sent from Outlook XP (Format: Plain Text)

Received: from srv-mail-ex2k10.DOMAIN.LOCAL ([fe80::b466:ae8f:bee3:d2f6]) by srv-mail-ex2k10.DOMAIN.LOCAL ([fe80::b466:ae8f:bee3:d2f6%10]) with mapi; Sat, 5 Jun 2010 08:15:54 +0100
    Thread-Topic: another plain text email
    Thread-Index: AcsEfvEvhZpXvWLWTYGzobmjPDLiiQ==
    To: Simon Goodier
    Subject: another plain text email
    Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 08:15:53 +0100
    Message-ID:
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
    Content-Language: en-US
    X-MS-Has-Attach:
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL: -1
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthSource: srv-mail-ex2k10.DOMAIN.LOCAL
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthAs: Internal
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthMechanism: 03

Email sent from our database (Format: Plain Text)

Received: from PC029 (10.0.4.29) by srv-mail-ex2k10.DOMAIN.LOCAL (10.0.6.19) with Microsoft SMTP Server id 14.0.694.0; Sat, 5 Jun 2010 08:45:52 +0100
    Thread-Topic: HELPDESK - 00004486
    thread-index: AcsEgx+HC9f0BGa9QnqEkq5kZ8mnBA==
    To: <simon.goodier@DOMAIN.COM>
    Subject: HELPDESK - 00004486
    Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 08:45:52 +0100
    Message-ID: <D222B5B6771E4A7FAA840F7EC9A648BB@DOMAIN.LOCAL>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Return-Path: maintenance@DOMAIN.COM
    Content-Type: text/plain
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    X-Mailer: Microsoft CDO for Exchange 2000
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthSource: srv-mail-ex2k10.DOMAIN.LOCAL
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthAs: Internal
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthMechanism: 10

Anyone got any ideas as to what's causing this?

Monday, June 07, 2010 8:13 AM
  • Moving the email using Outlook to a PST folder and Back onto the exchange inbox folder; and the message becomes readable again! really annoying me now :@
    Monday, June 07, 2010 9:27 AM
  • We have a Exchange 2010 server any the majority of our users are running outlook 2002. We are also having problem receiving incoming plain text emails.

We have tried all the suggests on here but have had no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:55 AM
  • We have rolled out Exchange 2010 as recent as last week and are using Outlook 2002 clients. Like the others we too are having issues with incoming text emails. It's by no means a fix but the quick way to view the content of these emails is to drag the email to your desktop and open it from there and "Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt" all the text is viewable.

Other issues we have had:

1. Existing email profiles will not allow you to open Other Mailboxes. Users kept getting "information store not found". Although cumbersome, we fixed this by recreating the users email profile.
    2. Email Refresh rate very slow, ie. When you delete an email, it would not delete the email immediately. You would have to select another folder and back to the original for it to disappear.

Yes I know what some of you would say but telling us to upgrade is an easy cop out and insulting our intelligence. We wouldn't be on here looking for fixes if we could easily upgrade to newer versions of Outlook. In our case upgrading is not an option at this stage as we have 2 other apps integrated with Outlook 2002 which aren't tested with later versions of Outlook. If Microsoft's Product Life cycle for Outlook 2002 has "Extended Support" until 12/07/2011 (ref http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2559 ), they (Microsoft) would surely expect that this client would be used with Exchange 2010. Surely they could wack a 2002 client in an Exchange 2010 Test platform and take a look at these issues? Maybe even provide some suggestions or low and behold a hot fix.

Guys, any help with these issues would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers
    Tony

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Did you buy the extended support?  If so, they'll help you.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP

We have rolled out Exchange 2010 as recent as last week and are using Outlook 2002 clients. Like the others we too are having issues with incoming text emails. It's by no means a fix but the quick way to view the content of these emails is to drag the email to your desktop and open it from there and "Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt" all the text is viewable.

Other issues we have had:

1. Existing email profiles will not allow you to open Other Mailboxes. Users kept getting "information store not found". Although cumbersome, we fixed this by recreating the users email profile.
    2. Email Refresh rate very slow, ie. When you delete an email, it would not delete the email immediately. You would have to select another folder and back to the original for it to disappear.

Yes I know what some of you would say but telling us to upgrade is an easy cop out and insulting our intelligence. We wouldn't be on here looking for fixes if we could easily upgrade to newer versions of Outlook. In our case upgrading is not an option at this stage as we have 2 other apps integrated with Outlook 2002 which aren't tested with later versions of Outlook. If Microsoft's Product Life cycle for Outlook 2002 has "Extended Support" until 12/07/2011 (ref http://support..microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2559 ), they (Microsoft) would surely expect that this client would be used with Exchange 2010. Surely they could wack a 2002 client in an Exchange 2010 Test platform and take a look at these issues? Maybe even provide some suggestions or low and behold a hot fix.

Guys, any help with these issues would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers
    Tony

Sunday, June 20, 2010 2:37 AM
  • Hello,

We are having the same problems on clients and also on a Terminal server.

On the clients i was able to fix it. It turned out that the "Cached mode" was not enabled and after enabling this option the clients could send mail without any problems.

Looks like the Terminal server has the same kind of issue...  When configure a .pst file the prolems are gone...

Strange not ?

Cheers, André

Monday, June 28, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

So creating new email profiles on the 2003 clients fixed them? What about on the 2002 clients? Did you ever find a fix for them?
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 4:45 PM
  • Did you buy the extended support?  If so, they'll help you.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    Does this mean there is a solution, but only if you have extended support?
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 3:28 AM
  • I have the same problem.

My email comes from our Helpdesk system via SMTP. Its a plain text message with no subject. I can't see the body in Outlook 2010 but can in OWA. The Exchange server is 2003.

I viewed the message in OWA and selected view message as web page and bang the message body appears in my Outlook client! I can't make it go away now.

Another user who also uses Outlook 2010 could see his copy just fine. I forwarded my copy to my HelpDesk support person the message arrived with a blank body. She also sees a blank message but the copy she received shows a body. She is Outlook 2003.

Friday, November 05, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Was this on office xp clients?

Hello,

We are having the same problems on clients and also on a Terminal server.

On the clients i was able to fix it. It turned out that the "Cached mode" was not enabled and after enabling this option the clients could send mail without any problems.

Looks like the Terminal server has the same kind of issue...  When configure a .pst file the prolems are gone...

Strange not ?

Cheers, André

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:15 PM
  • I have upgraded to Exchange 2010 fro 2003. Outlook 2007 clients are having the same problem.
    Monday, April 04, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Have you tried recrating the mail profile.  That worked in my case.
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 3:31 PM
  • I reproduced and documented this problem here:

http://www.exchangeinbox.com/article.aspx?i=180

Exchange Message Recalling Works! - http://www.windeveloper.com/recall/
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Hi All,

We are having the same issues, our user cannot see body of some emails. we have a complete new setup with Exchange 2010 and outlook 2010.

they cannot see the bodies of the emails in outlook neither in OWA. We pick emails from a pop3 mailbox deliver it to exchange through pop connector and when i read it from pop3 mailbox its fine there.

any idea?

many thanks,

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 8:16 PM
  • T.Ali,

Have you tried testing the with a new mail profile?  Test that to see if that clears up your issues, that's what worked for me.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Do you mean outlook profile?

we have 4 users and the are newly created and as I said i cannot see the email body in OWA either.

T.Ali
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:25 PM
  • we have the same problem as described here http://www.exchangeinbox.com/article.aspx?i=180 :-(

anything new on this ?

Friday, July 22, 2011 7:45 PM
  • I am able to receive emails, but cannot read them, as they are all blank in the bodies, even though the inbox shows them all as being 2k, 11k, etc.
    Aura Vie
    • Proposed as answer by JackiV Monday, August 22, 2011 6:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JackiV Monday, August 22, 2011 6:28 PM
    • Proposed as answer by JackiV Monday, August 22, 2011 6:28 PM
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Sorry Rose- I was clicking a reply and getting a propose answer  response...

At any rate. I have 2007 clients and a 2010 Exchange server and this has been happening to a few of our users. I had them change their AV settings on email and it works now.

Monday, August 22, 2011 6:33 PM
  • For the messages with a blank body, do you see an attachment that contains the body?

- Michael Faklis

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:34 PM
  • This is one of my pet peeves that MS Extended Support may find a solution, but they fail to issue any advisories or solutions to the rest of us.

- Michael Faklis

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:36 PM
  • I have one user with this issue. He was migrated to Exchange 2010 on Sunday. Monday afternoon he was upgraded to Office 2010. He can see the body of said messages in OWA and in Outlook 2003 on a Terminal Server. Deleting and creating a new Outlook Profile didn't help.

Any other thoughts?

YES, Deleting and creating a new Outlook Profile didn't help for us as well
    Thursday, October 03, 2013 12:52 PM
  • This might be relevant, I am currently working on a similar issue where emails sent into a mailbox are suddenly appearing as blank in the body.

This only strips out the content when the mailbox is accessed via IMAP!

If I check the email test message that was sent in using OWA it displays fine and stays fine, however as soon as the mailbox is accessed via IMAP...boom!....the mail then gets blanked.

I am still researching this issue and as yet do not have a resolution but thought it might help everyone find a solution too. Maybe check if any users are accessing the mailbox via IMAP using any additional device (mobile?,tablet?)

Thanks

DJ

UPDATE:

I have resolved this issue but IMAP was not the problem. The problem was AVG Antivirus on the client machine (the user didn't know she had this installed). It was set to scan incoming messages and so when she checked the mailbox using her Outlook client the AVG performed a scan and stripped the HTML content. simply stopping the AVG email scanning resolved this issue for us.

It maybe worth others checking their AV for something similar.

DJ

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:57 AM