none
Outlook and owa freezes every day, sometimes at the same time

Question

• Hello,

I have very strange problem! 2 users complain that the outlook hangs every day, approximately at the same time. But other 200 users work fine. I can't see any error on the mail servers ( two servers exchange 2010 sp 3 with dag) Outlook can hangs for 15 min with user, who has mailbox 1,5 Gb and about 3-5 min with user, who has mailbox 150 Mb.

When outlook hangs, owa logon also hangs and then they start working simultaneously.

It doesn't depend on the server where I try to run owa. I tried to move mailbox to new database, but it didn't resolve my problem.

There are no any scheduled tasks on exchange servers at this time. No performans issues. Maybe some problems of connectivity with AD, but I don't see any suspicious event.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:48 PM

All replies

• hi

Network issues on the pc's? Any sync running on local machines? can you ping the servers when outlook hangs? I have seen outlook hang when the network drops...

Sunday, April 21, 2013 3:31 PM
  • It doesn't depend on network and local machine because at this time the user can't logon anywhere with owa.
    Monday, April 22, 2013 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

It sounds like mailbox curroption. I'd suggest you move those two mailboxes to another mailbox database, and then try againt to see if this works.

We may also try New-MailboxRepairRequest. For more information, please refer to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff625221(v=exchg.141).aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nawar/archive/2010/08/19/exchange-2010-sp1-new-mailboxrepairrequest.aspx

Hope it is helpful.

Fiona Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 22, 2013 5:44 AM
  • Hi, 

I moved one of those mailboxes to another mailbox database, but it doesn't resolve problem. New-MailboxRepairRequest also doesn't have any success

Monday, April 22, 2013 6:20 AM
  • Hey DXnet,

I've had the same problem before, and it was also for some specific users only.
    The reason was that they were member of a large amount of groups, which caused an "overflow", and therefor things like outlook stopped working. (maxtokensize)

You can check the eventlogs of the client. If it's the same case, you'll see events for that.

I had to install a regkey on those systems (which I applied to all clients via group policy)

If this is the case for you too, let me know, and I'll check if I can find the exact regkey to change.

PS : there's no AV scan scheduled at the client around that time?

• Edited by D_Goossens Monday, April 22, 2013 9:30 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 8:16 AM
  • As I said before, at the time OWA also hangs from different PC for those two users, I just can't logon, enter login and password, press enter and OWA just is hanging.
    Monday, April 22, 2013 10:41 AM
  • Did you run all the test in the problematic client machine?

Please change a client computer and try to login as the problematic user account to see if the issue reoccurs. It would hlep us isolate the fault from client computer.

If the issue continues in other computer, please create a new mailbox for the affcted user, and then import the original messae data once 100MB.

Hope it is helpful.

Fiona Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 29, 2013 2:10 PM
  • Any Events logs on the Exchange Server that talks about the DC Connectivity issues ?

Check for event id’s 2102, 2103 and 2114.

Also make sure that the dcdiag is returning clean without any errors listed.

Check if your server has the same symptoms listed on this blog post:

Exchange 2010 Servers lose connectivity with Global Catalog Servers in Domain. Event IDs logged 2102, 2103, and 2114.

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 8:26 AM
  • Hello, did you ever resolved this problem? We are having the same issue only for one user. We get event ID 118 every time. It happens weekly at about the same time. 
    • Edited by Drea3000 Thursday, June 05, 2014 6:57 PM
    Thursday, June 05, 2014 6:55 PM