none
New-MailboxImportRequest Fails

Question

• Mail server has been up and running for a while.  Users have their own Archive PSTs so I have created an Archive Mailbox DB and added it to one user.  I removed the storage limits under Org Config Mailbox.

The first PST I am importing is 11GB.  I ran the import without BadLimit and it fails with event 1100.  So then I ran it with BadLimit and it still fails and it fails on the exact same MsgID:

Request 'RequestGuid (b4e05fb4-a1c0-4fef-813c-2b0f7ec96f50), RequestQueue: (0b883a6b-3ca2-4604-9edf-ec4d664287c4)' (b4e05fb4-a1c0-4fef-813c-2b0f7ec96f50) failed.
    Error code: -2146233088
    Couldn't read message ID '2369956' from .pst file '\\<SERVER>\<SHARE>\xxxxxxxxx.pst'. --> Attachment data missing for attachment 0x26005(Attachment)
    Context:
    --------
    Operation: IFolder.EnumerateMessages
    OperationSide: Source
    Flags: RegularMessages, IncludeExtendedData
    PropTags: [SearchKey; InTransitStatusLastModificationTime; MessageClass]
    --------
    Folder: '/Top of Outlook data file/2001/Deleted Items', entryId [len=24, data=0000000032376669A8E3B24A8822B55718AA8ACF62830000], parentId [len=24, data=0000000032376669A8E3B24A8822B55718AA8ACF42830000]

New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox "ME" -FilePath \\<SERVER>\<SHARE>\xxxxxxxx.pst -IsArchive -BadItemLimit 999999999 -AcceptLargeDataLoss

I found it odd that after specifing to skip items it still hung on the same exact item.  At this point I'm lost as to how to continue.  I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Friday, March 04, 2011 11:53 PM

All replies

• My apologies, I completely skipped over the whole setup part...

Windows Server 2008 R2

Exchange 2010 SP1 UR2 (Single Server)

Exchange Mailboxes previously moved over from 2003.

The PST files were created in OL2010 and maintained only in 2010.

DigiScope?  I see a $750 per year price tag?

Saturday, March 05, 2011 12:28 AM
    1. We have several pricing models so the 750 is for 1 Year of Project based, vs 375 for a 3 month. but we also have Perpetual licensing.
    2. So how was the data created, i.e. was it ingested via POP 3 into Outlook 2010 or did it come through and Exchange 2007, 2003, 2010 server and then the users archived it to PST?
    3. Have you physically checked the PST's that are giving you problems?
    4. Have you tried to manually ingest one of the problem PSTs via Outlook?

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 12:39 AM
  • 1.What does the trial get me?

2. This particular PST gave me quit some problems.  The data was in Outlook Express then dumped into a Windows 7 machine.  FUN!  Data was transferred Window Live Mail using some third party tool then imported into OL2010.

3. Aside from the PST working fine in OL2010.  The 1100 event complains about 2001 deleted items.  I opened every single email in that folder.  Opens fine.

4. You mean open in OL2010?  The user is currently using it in that very way.

Saturday, March 05, 2011 12:59 AM
    1. The products real magic is being able to open OFFLINE EDB's so in this case the Demo license wont get you much since I figure you want to try to import the PST to a production Exchange server and thats not something we allow in Demo mode. 
    2. Best thing to do if you want a POC would be to provide us a copy of the PST and we would attempt an import into a 2010 server.  If successful we would open a WebEx to show and tell the results.
    3. OK sounds like the data has gone through several gyrations then eh? 
    4. Have you tried creating a NEW PST and then moving that data into the new PST to see if it corrects the issues you are experiencing?

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 1:07 AM
  • 1. Oh ok, so that's not even an option then.

2. Unfortunately I can't do that.

4. I ran that job over the weekend.  It imported into OL10 fine.  The import into Exchange Archive fails on the same exact MsgID.

Is there any way to track down exactly which message it is so I can just go and delete it?  Would have been if they included some sort of subject text or date/time in the Event ID.

Monday, March 07, 2011 4:38 PM
  • only thing I can think of to track down the offending message is to break up the PST into chunks. i.e. maybe make a SENT Items, or an appointments PST first and see if it fails there, and if so start breaking it down by date and then repeat until you find the issue.   This will take some time, however, once you complete a section you wont have to do it again.
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Monday, March 07, 2011 5:00 PM
  • The EventID already tells me which folder.  Unfortunately there's over 7 thousand messages in there.

Just tried the import to the main DB as well.  It fails as well, not just with the IsArchive switch.

Also just tried another user.  This user has been here less then a year and has ONLY used OL2010.  His was created on Exch2010.  He failed at 80%.

Is this import feature for PSTs just not a viable solution?  That's two strikes with one them being sourced from Exch2010 and OL2010.

Monday, March 07, 2011 6:18 PM
  • Was the second PST derived the way the first one was?  The first one you said that it was outlook express and windows Live Mail so it wasn't originally stored in Exchange.

Regarding the second PST you say the data was only within Exchange 2010, i.e. it was created within 2010 and normally i.e. send/receive by a user not another integrated product etc?

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Monday, March 07, 2011 6:31 PM
  • The second PST was a user that was created in Exchange 2010 and the user has only used Outlook 2010.  Zero other products have been used on that users email.

In other words, create a new user in Exchange 2010.  Now open Outlook 2010, setup the user, download email, there's your PST.

fyi, installation of digiscope failed.  Tells me my My Documents path is not valid.  However, it is.  My Documents = M: = \\SERVER\SHARE\USERNAME.  Accessible via Windows and Command Prompt.

Monday, March 07, 2011 6:59 PM
    1. Very odd and cant say why that would happen without seeing the data file.
    2. Regarding DigiScope I havent seen that issue personally so would be best if you contacted support and they will be happy to assist and will even WebEx in with you to resolve any installation issues

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Monday, March 07, 2011 7:05 PM
  • All I can give is the EvenID info.  Can't give out any email.  I do see however that both messages failed with what I have to assume are attachments.

Couldn't read message ID '2369956' from .pst file '\\<SERVER>\<SHARE>\xxxxxxxxx.pst'. --> Attachment data missing for attachment 0xxxxxx(Attachment)

Monday, March 07, 2011 7:27 PM
  • The demo tells me I've reach my 0 PST file limit.  It wont let me open any PSTs.
    Monday, March 07, 2011 9:55 PM
  • I downloaded it this morning.  Was there something else I was suppose to do?  I fixed my own My Documents issue.
    Monday, March 07, 2011 10:18 PM
  • you need to get a DEMO license, but looks like you just figured that out as well since I saw a notification come through that you just licensed, correct?
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Monday, March 07, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Yup.  Told it to load my PST and it's been chugging away.  At this point the app says NOT RESPONDING.  Can it handle large PSTs?
    Monday, March 07, 2011 10:58 PM
  • 1. As I mentioned earlier 11GB.

2. Core i7 Win7.

3. Local

Sorry, but this app of yours just isn't working.  At any rate, I'll I'm doing is opening a PST so...back to Outlook.

What I was going to do in OL since it has issues with attachment emails is to strip out the attachments for each folder it's having an issue with however, I've noticed that I'm unable to sort by attachments in the folders that fail.  OLs orange progress bar just keep scrolling and it never sorts.

The same thing happened on the other OL2010 native PST I mentioned.  Can't sort by attachment.  Odd...

Monday, March 07, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Sorry I couldn't help.  Must be something odd happening with your PST since I have worked with 40GB PSTs on DigiScope without fail.
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Monday, March 07, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Well, at this point Exchange is removed from the equation as OL 2010 can't even us it's own PST files that it created.  All attempts to sort by attachments on all these PSTs fail.
    Monday, March 07, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Forefront is set to ignore PST files.
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:29 AM
  • And even though I'm now pointing my finger at OL, Exchange is still at fault for not skipping these bad attachments and instead doing a hard fail.  Such a headache trying to filer through this stuff.
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Just to wrap this all up.  I made a very interesting discovery that I was able to reproduce on multiple machines with multiple different email stores.

Import email from Windows Live Mail 2011 to Outlook 2010 = a PST that you can not sort via attachments and that PST will not import into Exchange.  Always fails on an attachment of some sort.

Go back to the same WLM 2011 source and export with this third party tool (http://www.windowslivemailconverter.com/) = a PST that is fine and will import into Exchange.  I'm assuming importing into an older version of outlook would work fin as well.  But that's just a guess.

Sorry Troy but after various attempts I could not get your app to work very well at all.  Plus you can't do much of anything with it seeing as how Exchange is 64bit and it wont allow you (while on a 32bit system) to do anything with Exchange.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:54 PM