none
MailTips and Free/Busy Suggestions working from Internet (Outlook Anywhere), not working from LAN

Question

• Hi,

This is my scenario:

Exchange 2010 Update Rollup 3: ms.mydomain.com.br - 192.168.1.11

TMG 2010 - 192.168.1.5

Clients: Outlook 2010 - IPs ranging from 192.168.1.30 to 192.168.1.100

AD Windows 2008 R2

Working from the LAN, when I create a new mail with Outlook 2010, I get "MailTips could not be retrieved" above "To..." field.

Also, I get "Suggestion cannot be provided because free/busy data could not be retrieved" when I try to set up a new meeting.

Working from the Internet with RPC over HTTP (Outlook Anywhere), MailTips and Suggestions works normally. If i connect to the VPN, it doesn't work anymore.

MailTips at OWA is working, internally and externally.

Exchange 2010 is published by TMG with the same internal address (ms.mydomain.com.br).

Certificates are good, no warnings using RPC over HTTP or ActiveSync (iPhones, Androids and Windows Mobile, all working internally and externally).

Autodiscover is configured at my internal and external DNS properly.

No errors at http://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com.

No firewalls between Outlook clients and Exchange at LAN. Exchange and Outlook clients are at the same subnet and vlan.

Testing automatic configuration at Outlook (CTRL + right click at Outlook icon) shows no failures, XML is available and correct.

No errors at EventViewer.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 6:43 PM

Answers

• Thank you guys, but I've found the problem.

Running Test-OutlookWebServices in EMS I was getting:

RunspaceId : 1b18e103-bbe6-4ffc-8146-d30790af5f2b
    Id         : 1013
    Type       : Error
    Message    : When contacting https://ms.mydomain.com.br/EWS/Exchange.asmx received the error The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

At IIS Manager, I've enabled Windows Authentication at EWS authentication settings and it's all good now.

Thank you again for your input.

• Marked as answer by MarcioSilva Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:07 PM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:07 PM

All replies

• So, there’s only a single box for exchange 2010, right?

Please run the cmdlet “Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory” to check the output of EWS settings

Please verify if the EWS virtual directory is working by accessing the URL below, you shall see a lot of XML info. If the error returns from IE, please refer to KB 943891

HTTPS://<Exchange 2010 CAS FQDN>/EWS/Exchange.asmx

Please use outlook diagnostic logging for troubleshooting. It records the SOAP messages between client and CAS server. In the typical scenario, client will send two requests, “Request the organizations MailTips configuration settings”, “Request MailTips for individual recipients after the evaluation based on the settings”

How to enable diagnostic logging: Click “File” button, “Advanced”, select “Enable troubleshooting logging (requires restarting Outlook)”, restart outlook

The log files location: %LocalAppData%\Local\Temp\Outlook Logging

Notes: To make the log more readable, copy the log to word, and then replace all “><” with “>^p<”, which will add returns between lines

You can also diagnostic logging on the exchange server for troubleshooting

Resources:

Troubleshooting MailTips

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Friday, June 11, 2010 6:06 AM
  • Can you post Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory | fl *url* and Get-ClientAccessServer | fl *name*,*uri*
    Active Directory, 4th Edition - www.briandesmond.com/ad4/
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:09 PM
  • I had the same problem... Looks like removing SSL auth for the EWS virtual directory did the trick for me, but i've only tested it a few times so far.

Good luck

Monday, June 14, 2010 3:33 AM
  • Thank you guys, but I've found the problem.

Running Test-OutlookWebServices in EMS I was getting:

RunspaceId : 1b18e103-bbe6-4ffc-8146-d30790af5f2b
    Id         : 1013
    Type       : Error
    Message    : When contacting https://ms.mydomain.com.br/EWS/Exchange.asmx received the error The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

At IIS Manager, I've enabled Windows Authentication at EWS authentication settings and it's all good now.

Thank you again for your input.

• Marked as answer by MarcioSilva Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:07 PM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:07 PM
  • Windows Authentication should have been enabled by default on the EWS folder.

How did it change ?

Friday, June 18, 2010 7:12 PM