none
Exchange 2010 Client Access Server Array on same servers that host Mailbox role?

Question

• We are running two Exchange 2010 servers with all roles installed using DAG. Everything is behind a load-balancer.

If we shut down one of the servers, the database fails over with no issues, OWA, active sync, Inbound/Outbound mail all continue to work. 

However outlook clients will not connect if they can not reach the RPC/CAS server that are configured for, until they can connect to their RPC/CAS server.

It appears that it's not an option to install/configure Network Load balancing on a Windows 2008 server when fail over clustering is enabled.

Do I have any options of creating an array, using only two Exchange 2010 servers?

We are a smaller organization, and really do not want to run 4 servers to offer redundancy.

Saturday, June 12, 2010 3:41 PM

Answers

• Yes, we have a clustered hardware LB. 

I configured the array using our OWA dns name (Without enabling WNLB), and everything seems to be working now with no issues.

On the hardware LB, I only have ports 443 and 25 configured. Now the only way to connect to Exchange with outlook is over HTTPS.

Doesn't seem to be causing any issues.

Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:58 PM

All replies