none
Windows 7 stuck at Completing Installation

Question

• I bought my acer laptop 2 years ago. It has a sandy bridge i7 CPU and 4G RAMs. So it still works well. I changed it from win7 to win8 at the beginning of 2013 and installed ubuntu 12.04 along with it.

But next semester I have to use some software on win7. So last week I installed win7 again on another disk. The three OS worked fun untill one day win7 freezed at installing updates. After I waited for an afternoon, I reset it. Then I cannot get into win7 anymore. I thought it was because I let it install too much updates before restart it. I tried to restore it but I failed with some errors. 

I decided to format that disk and intall win7 again. But this time, when it restart for "completing installation" stage, It freezed. I wait a whole night, but nothing happend. I retried serveral times and failed again and again. I was really superise because I managed to install it just two days ago.  I found on the internet that really a lot of people have the same problem. I almost tried all the sollutions except removing the video card. The reason why I didn't try a clean installation is that I still wish to save my windows 8 and ubuntu.

I already spent more than a week on it. Could anyone please to help me?

thanks

• Edited by Mr.melon Monday, September 09, 2013 11:12 AM
    Monday, September 09, 2013 8:25 AM

Answers

• HI,

From your description, I think you may try the following solutions to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Please unplug all USB devices from the computer, and check whether you are able to complete the installation.
    2. I also suggest you collect the log files, please follow the steps mentioned below.

To open the setupact.log file during the installation process, press SHIFT+F10 to open a command prompt, type C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log and then press ENTER.

The setupact.log file will be opened in notepad. since this issue occurred at “Completing Installation” phase, so, we just need to view the latest log entries, scroll to the bottom of the file.

Note :C” is the driver letter where the windows folder is loaded.

If you want some more information, I’d like to share the following articles with you:

Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Vista setup log file locations

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927521/en-us

Understanding Failures and Log Files

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee851579(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards,

Yolanda

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:32 AM

All replies