none
OWA - 'Outlook Web App didn't initialize' after Exchange 2010 w SP1 new install

    Question

  • At first after a new install of Exchange 2010 w/ SP1 on Windows Server 2008 R2, I tried OWA by browsing URL https://localhost/owa  and this resulted in a blank page and an address bar that read:

    https://localhost/owa/auth/logon.aspx?url=https://localhost/owa/&reason=0

    Initial problem:  Exchange 2010 w/SP1 on W2k8R2, OWA didn't work.  This is a 'transition' installation as there is a Windows Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 in the domain.  After much research and misdirection one of the posts I looked at spoke about reading the Event Logs.  Why I hadn't yet thought of that hours ago I don't know ...perhaps it was the growing adrenaline rush of thinking about the mass of users about to turn really hostile if I don't get this sorted.  In any case I noticed an Error on the RPC Over HTTP Proxy not being installed.  So I installed it and reset the OWA Virtual directory ...as hoped now the OWA login site is appearing.  Problem solved ...well not so fast.

    Now at OWA login when the credentials are entered I am getting an immediate error *this is the critical issue I'm most focused on resolving*:

    title: "Outlook Web App didn't initialize. ..."
    Request:
    URL:  https://mail.domainname.org:443/owa/auth/error.aspx
    User host address: xx.xx.xx.xx
    OWA version:  14.1.270.1

    also in the lower left corner of the IE 8 broswer is an icon of a yellow caution over a white sheet - its error reads:
    Webpage error details

    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; MS-RTC EA 2; MS-RTC LM 8; Zune 4.7)
    Timestamp: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 07:32:49 UTC

    Message: 'JSON' is undefined
    Line: 418
    Char: 6
    Code: 0
    URI: very long URL

    What does this mean? How can I resolve this?


    Dale Unroe
    • Edited by Dale DU-IT Monday, February 21, 2011 3:23 PM
    Monday, February 21, 2011 7:42 AM

Answers

  • you were close

    The issue was the authentication types chosen on the OWA Virtual Directory - was Basic & FBA, changed to Basice & WinInt then IISreset ...voila!

    p.s.  this should/could be something that the EXBPA could check and report on deviation ...which in my case would have saved a lot of panic and stress :)


    Dale Unroe
    • Marked as answer by Dale DU-IT Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:29 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:28 PM

All replies

  • The 'JSON is undefined error' had to do with DivX Add-ons which I disabled and then that went away
    Dale Unroe
    Monday, February 21, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

     

    Is there any issue when access Exchange 2010 with Outlook. Let us focus on the virtual directory.

    1. Run CmdLet: Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory to remove the virtual directory.

    2. Run CmdLet: New- OwaVirtualDirectory to create a new virtual directory.

    3. Open EMC and edit OWA (Default Web Site) properties under server configurations->Client Access.

    4. Finally don’t forget restarting IIS Admin Service.

     

    More information about Upgrade from Exchange 2003 Client Access:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332348.aspx

    • Marked as answer by Dale DU-IT Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dale DU-IT Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:29 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:35 AM
  • you were close

    The issue was the authentication types chosen on the OWA Virtual Directory - was Basic & FBA, changed to Basice & WinInt then IISreset ...voila!

    p.s.  this should/could be something that the EXBPA could check and report on deviation ...which in my case would have saved a lot of panic and stress :)


    Dale Unroe
    • Marked as answer by Dale DU-IT Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:29 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Some components were missing in the installation of the IIS server. Try to install all (Excluding WEBDAV and FTP Server)
    Monday, June 27, 2011 10:30 PM
  • nothing was missing in the installation of the IIS server ...just misconfigured by default - the ExBPA could be engineered to catch this issue and offer the appropriate information to resolve it
    Dale Unroe
    Monday, June 27, 2011 10:33 PM
  • Awesome - thanks man. I was fooling with redirecting to OWA and kiboshed my server. I modified my OWA virtual directory authentication types back to basic only and everything is flying again.
    Friday, July 01, 2011 4:19 AM
  • When you reset the auth, and restart IIS, don't forget to RESTART World Wide Web Publishing service which manages IIS!!!

    ( that's what the MS Support MSE did to fix mine! )

    I restarted IIS. - not solved.

    I changed the auth; then restarted IIS. - not solved.

    I called MS and got them to fix by basically doing the last step which was NOT listed here... restarting WWW Publishing Service in services.

    But thank you just the same for steering me in the right direction.

    Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:32 PM