none
Offline Address Book (OAB) and Exchange 2010/2003 Mixed Environment Replication

Question

• I currently have a mixed Exchange 2003/2010 environment, where the Users with 2010 Mailboxes cannot download the Offline Address Book (they get error:
    Task 'Microsoft Exchange' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object cannot be found.'

With the exception of this mailbox server and a 2010 CAS my environment is mostly 2003 Exchange Servers (as we slowly move to 2010). Currently the Offline Address Book (OAB) is on one of our Exchange 2003 Cluster Servers, and it looks like potentially my problem would be solved if we moved it to a 2010 server but I'm afraid of how that affects all the mailboxes still on 2003 Exchange.

So I am asking how does moving the OAB to a 2010 Server affect current users on Exchange 2003 Servers and alternatively if there is a way to get the currently hosted Exchange 2003 OAB to download for mailbox users on 2010.

Thanks in advance for the help

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:32 PM

Answers

• Yes, I suspect this is your issue.  Move the OAB generation role to an Exchange 2010 server.  Exchange 2010 will put the info in the PF database just as it does in 2003.  Legacy users will be able to consume the information like they do today.

Make sure you have a PF replica on Exchange 2010, as it is not going to generate the OAB to a 2003-based database.

Move the Offline Address Book Generation Process to Another Server: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125184.aspx

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Thanks Mike for the quick reply!

I saw that article but found the wording confusing: "..you can generate the OAB from an Exchange 2003 server provided that public folder distribution is enabled."

With Exchange 2003, OABs could only be distributed through Public folders.  In Exchange 2007+ you can use Public folders and/or virtual directories (https).  Outlook 2003-2010 can use Public folder OABs, however only Outlook 2007+can use virtual directory distribution.

My thinking was that I can't generate the OAB from Exchange 2003, because that is a 2010 function and I would have to move it 2010 before I could 'check' that box (Enable public folder distribution), otherwise it is greyed out on 2010 servers because it is still hosted on Exchange 2003.

You can generate the OAB from Exchange 2003.  This server is reading from the same AD that 2010 would be.  Exchange 2003 will generate an OAB and place it in public folders.  If you have a copy of the public folder replica on Exchange 2010, the mailboxes on 2010 will be able to use it.  But moving the generation is a good thing to do anyway.  It is required in any transition to Exchange 2010.

Once it is on 2010 and I enable Web-based distribution and public folder distribution I should be all set for Exchange 2003 Mailboxes? Is this what you meant by "Make sure you have a PF replica on Exchange 2010, as it is not going to generate the OAB to a 2003-based database."

As stated above, you’ll need to keep PF distribution of the OAB enabled due to Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003’s inability to read from virtual directories.  You can enable virtual directory distribution as well, but only Outlook 2007+ users on your Exchange 2010 server will use this avenue.

When you install Exchange 2010 it should have created you a public folder database.  On each mailbox database, you should specify this as your default public folder database (in a 1-server exchange 2010 environment).  Public folder databases stay empty until content is replicated to them (or your 2010 users start making folders).  So to add the replicated oab folders you need to use the AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 script.  You can read about that here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997966.aspx

Here is an example:

.\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\NON_IPM_Subtree" -ServerToAdd "exchange2010"

Thanks for the clarification as I thought moving it would resolve the issues for 2010 Mailbox Users, but I was concerned about 2003 mailbox users.

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:12 AM

All replies

• Yes, I suspect this is your issue.  Move the OAB generation role to an Exchange 2010 server.  Exchange 2010 will put the info in the PF database just as it does in 2003.  Legacy users will be able to consume the information like they do today.

Make sure you have a PF replica on Exchange 2010, as it is not going to generate the OAB to a 2003-based database.

Move the Offline Address Book Generation Process to Another Server: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125184.aspx

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:59 PM

I saw that article but found the wording confusing: "..you can generate the OAB from an Exchange 2003 server provided that public folder distribution is enabled."

My thinking was that I can't generate the OAB from Exchange 2003, because that is a 2010 function and I would have to move it 2010 before I could 'check' that box (Enable public folder distribution), otherwise it is greyed out on 2010 servers because it is still hosted on Exchange 2003.

Once it is on 2010 and I enable Web-based distribution and public folder distribution I should be all set for Exchange 2003 Mailboxes? Is this what you meant by "Make sure you have a PF replica on Exchange 2010, as it is not going to generate the OAB to a 2003-based database."

Thanks for the clarification as I thought moving it would resolve the issues for 2010 Mailbox Users, but I was concerned about 2003 mailbox users.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:10 PM

With Exchange 2003, OABs could only be distributed through Public folders.  In Exchange 2007+ you can use Public folders and/or virtual directories (https).  Outlook 2003-2010 can use Public folder OABs, however only Outlook 2007+can use virtual directory distribution.

You can generate the OAB from Exchange 2003.  This server is reading from the same AD that 2010 would be.  Exchange 2003 will generate an OAB and place it in public folders.  If you have a copy of the public folder replica on Exchange 2010, the mailboxes on 2010 will be able to use it.  But moving the generation is a good thing to do anyway.  It is required in any transition to Exchange 2010.

As stated above, you’ll need to keep PF distribution of the OAB enabled due to Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003’s inability to read from virtual directories.  You can enable virtual directory distribution as well, but only Outlook 2007+ users on your Exchange 2010 server will use this avenue.

When you install Exchange 2010 it should have created you a public folder database.  On each mailbox database, you should specify this as your default public folder database (in a 1-server exchange 2010 environment).  Public folder databases stay empty until content is replicated to them (or your 2010 users start making folders).  So to add the replicated oab folders you need to use the AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 script.  You can read about that here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997966.aspx

Here is an example:

.\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\NON_IPM_Subtree" -ServerToAdd "exchange2010"

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:12 AM