Exchange 07 SP2, CCR, 2 Nodes, on Windows 2008 SP2 attempting full backup using Windows Server Backup. I used the -vssFull switch, the target for the backup is a remote share, and there are no mount points involved. I get application event id 2007 (ESE -Shadow copy instance aborted.) and 9782 (Exchange VSS Writer has unsuccessfully completed the backup of storage group. No log files have been truncated for this storage group.) That happens if I run the backup on Node1 while it's the active node.
If I run the backup on Node2 while it's the active node, I get event id 9781, which is informational (the backup is successful, still no log files have been truncated). So it looks like it may be a VSS problem on Node1, but the log files aren't truncated even when the backup is run successfully on Node2.
It appears that when I first started using the Exchange WSB plugin, I had success doing the full backup and getting the log files truncated, looking back at the Event Logs.
I'm not sure if this is two different problems, or if they are related. I have seen another post to this forum where someone else is seeing the same problem. Any ideas?
Backup is the only criteria to truncate exchange log, because log truncation both at the active and the copy locations will be handled by Exchange Replication service. Please see “Log Truncation” section in Continuous Replication Deep Dive
1. Have you followed all requirements in this article for exchange backup?
2. Does the issue happen to all SG/Database?
3. Is there any 3rd party software on the nodes?
4. Please check all files on the volume, verify if there’s any other special files other than exchange log and database files
5. Please get VSSAdmin reports with the commands below, which can provide useful info and even error messages if they exist:
Ø List Providers
Ø List ShadowStorage
Ø List Volumes
Ø List Writers
6. Please use the methods in Troubleshooting Exchange 2007 VSS Backups