none
Outbound mail from pickup folder redirected into the drop folder

Question

• Hi

I have a windows server 2003 running smtp. I am facing a situation whereby email dropped into the pickup folder for a particular client domain gets picked up by IIS and dropped in the drop folder rather than sending it out to our pmta mail relay server.

We have millions of emails sent out via this server other several domains but this issue seems to only happen on this particular domain but when we try this on a different smtp server, it works fine.

So I am wondering what could cause IIS to think that the domain is inbound rather than sending it out to the smart-host mail server.

1. Can anyone guide me on how to trace the cause of tghsi issue

2. Can one use wiresharp to investigate

3. Is there any tool available from microsoft to assist with the investigation

Thanks

Isaac2k2

Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:32 AM

Answers

• On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 10:15:32 +0000, Isaac2k2 wrote:

>Thanks Rich for the response :)
    >
    >I have re-posted in Windows general forum.
    >
    >The domain has an alias configured in SMTP but I have over 500 domains configured as alias and these are not affected except this domain in question which is why it bits my imagination

Do you really just want to run an open SMTP relay? If the server's
    secured it looks like it would be a lot easier to manage!

You can edit the domain in the metabase file to be "*". You can't do
    that with the IIS Manager GUI.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Tuesday, March 05, 2013 4:20 AM

All replies

• In addition to this since no one has responded, is there a way to monitor the pickup folder and see whats picking up the eml files?

Isaac2k2

Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:44 AM
  • More Info:

I have used process monitor to track the pickup folder and can see that the eml files are been picked up by 'inetinfo.exe'.

Is it possible to under what this process does when  it picks up eml files what it checks with to determine if the email is to be sent to a smarthost or dropped.

Is there any tool I can use for extended (verbose) logging?

Any help will be appreciated.

Isaac2k2

Friday, March 01, 2013 3:09 PM
  • On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:44:09 +0000, Isaac2k2 wrote:

>In addition to this since no one has responded, is there a way to monitor the pickup folder and see whats picking up the eml files?

Consider that you've posted this question in a forum for Exchange
    server. Try asking the question in one of the O/S forums.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, March 02, 2013 3:09 AM
  • On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:32:30 +0000, Isaac2k2 wrote:

>Hi I have a windows server 2003 running smtp. I am facing a situation whereby email dropped into the pickup folder for a particular client domain gets picked up by IIS and dropped in the drop folder rather than sending it out to our pmta mail relay server. We have millions of emails sent out via this server other several domains but this issue seems to only happen on this particular domain but when we try this on a different smtp server, it works fine. So I am wondering what could cause IIS to think that the domain is inbound rather than sending it out to the smart-host mail server. 1. Can anyone guide me on how to trace the cause of tghsi issue 2. Can one use wiresharp to investigate 3. Is there any tool available from microsoft to assist with the investigation Thanks

If it's going into the drop folder you've identified the domain as a
    local domain instead of a remote domain in the IIS SMTP configuration.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, March 02, 2013 3:18 AM
  • Thanks Rich for the response :)

I have re-posted in Windows general forum.

The domain has an alias configured in SMTP but I have over 500 domains configured as alias and these are not affected except this domain in question which is why it bits my imagination

Isaac2k2

Monday, March 04, 2013 10:15 AM
  • Hi  ,

Please try to telnet it and send the email to that domain and check if it returns any error.

XFOR: Telnet to Port 25 to Test SMTP Communication:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119?wa=wsignin1.0

Please also verify if other domain can send email to relay server.

Also check the connectivity and configuration between exchange server and relay server.

Wendy Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 1:47 AM
  • On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 10:15:32 +0000, Isaac2k2 wrote:

>Thanks Rich for the response :)
    >
    >I have re-posted in Windows general forum.
    >
    >The domain has an alias configured in SMTP but I have over 500 domains configured as alias and these are not affected except this domain in question which is why it bits my imagination

Do you really just want to run an open SMTP relay? If the server's
    secured it looks like it would be a lot easier to manage!

You can edit the domain in the metabase file to be "*". You can't do
    that with the IIS Manager GUI.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 4:20 AM