none
Outlook not running rules automatically

Question

• I am running Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003. I have a client that has a few rules set up in her Outlook. The rules should run automatically but they do not. They work fine if you open the rules and run them manually. These are just basic rules that move emails from certain people or with specific words in the subject to another folder. I have tried edited the rules, repairing Office, Updating Office completely, recreated her .ost file, created a new Outlook profile. None of these have worked. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you are comfortable using MFCMAPI (or a similar tool), please follow http://restartis.wordpress.com/2009/05/19/issue-series-outlook-rules-does-not-fire-automatically/
    - Thanks, Jinesh.
    • Proposed as answer by Frank.Wang Monday, July 05, 2010 2:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Tuesday, July 06, 2010 1:25 AM
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:06 AM
  • Hi Bryan,

How about your question? Any updates?

How many rules does the user have?

If the user open mailbox using OWA, the same error?

You can also export all rules, delete all, create a simple one to test whether it works.

Frank Wang
    Friday, July 02, 2010 7:01 AM
  • Hi Bryan,

Any updates?

Frank Wang
    Monday, July 05, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Hi Bryan and Frank

I have the same environment and issue, I have tried  Jinesh's suggestion and it hasn't resolved the issue. I only have 3 rules. 2 look at accounts that they arrive from and moves to a folder and the other looks for words in subject and then moves to a folder. They all work fine if I edit the rule and check the box to run the rule now and applied but don't work automatically

FYI before reading the forums, I had just upgraded pc to win 7 (however it happens on another colleagues xp pc) I created new mail profiles for both, I deleted the rules and recreated I even deleted the accounts on the exchange servers and recreated them. For some reason I can’t get them to work. My rules worked fine until I upgraded pc’s my colleagues was working until we had to reimage the laptop.
    Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Greg

Saturday, July 10, 2010 2:03 AM
  • Running Outlook 2010, Outlook Connector, @msn.com

I discovered (by accident) that rules run automatically IF the rule specifies moving the email to a "USER CREATED" folder.  The rule ran manually when the rule designated the "DELETED" file folder, but would not run automatically.

When I changed the target folder from the system generated Deleted folder to a user created folder (trash), the rule ran automatically every time!

This solution doesn't do what I want it to do, but maybe it will be the hint to someone else who can figure out what's going on.

What I really want to do is permanently delete some emails that match my rules, but I have not been able to get rules with the designated action "permanently delete" to run automatically (work fine manually)

Right now, I'm running a spam to real email ratio of 30:1 !!

Monday, January 21, 2013 9:20 PM