none
Unable to find a suitable directory server for domain 'domain.local' ---> No suitable domain controller was found in domain 'domain.local'

Question

• Since removing a domain that was no longer required I am seeing lots of errors in the application log on my Exchange 2013 server, MSExchange ADAccess event id 4027 with the error:

Unable to find a suitable directory server for domain 'domain.local' ---> No suitable domain controller was found in domain 'domain.local' 

The domain had users in it which were all migrated using ADMT and then each DC was demoted and the domain removed.

How can I stop these errors appearing as it appears Exchange is still trying to contact the domain?

Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:21 PM

Answers

• Solved.  I had 3 or 4 migration batches with users that were previously on the old domain.  Users had been migrated but the migration batches not removed before the domain.  Exchange was trying to contact the domain when attempting to remove the batches.

I used Get-MigrationBatch | Remove-MigrationBatch -Force to remove the batches and the errors are no longer occuring

• Marked as answer by adamf83 Monday, July 29, 2013 7:05 PM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 7:05 PM

All replies

• Please check Active Directory Sites and Services to see if all references for demoted domain is removed.

Check DNS and ensure that _MSDCS container doesn't have any reference for domain controllers of demoted domain.

Force replicate between all sites to ensure changes on your exchange sites are up-to-date

On the Exchange Server use the following command to use preferred domain controller and Global catalog:

Set-AdServerSettings -PreferredGlobalCatalog <FQDN-of-GC> -SetPreferredDomainControllers <FQDN-of-DC>

- Sarvesh Goel - Enterprise Messaging Administrator

Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Hi

did your DC's replicate after you demoted it? Even after a reboot are you getting these errors?

Also look at Sarvesh G suggestions.

Sunday, July 28, 2013 4:53 PM
  • DCs have replicated.  I haven't rebooted the Exchange server yet, that is my next task once it's finished the in-progress migration.
    Sunday, July 28, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Cleared up DNS as per the suggestions above, restarted the server but I am still seeing the errors in the Application event log.

Process Microsoft.Exchange.ServiceHost.exe (EMS) (PID=4944). WCF request (GetServerFromDomainDN DC=admin,DC=riddlesdown,DC=local) to the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service on server (TopologyClientTcpEndpoint (localhost)) failed. Make sure that the service is running. In addition, make sure that the network ports that are used by Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service are not blocked by a firewall. The WCF call was retried 3 time(s). Error Details 
     Unable to find a suitable directory server for domain 'admin.riddlesdown.local'. ----> No suitable domain controller was found in domain 'admin.riddlesdown.local'. Errors:

at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.RemoteDomainServerDiscovery.DoWork(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.Common.WorkItem`1.Execute(CancellationToken joinedToken)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.Common.WorkItem`1.<>c__DisplayClass6.<StartExecuting>b__4()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
    -----------
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.Common.Extensions.WrapAndRethrowException(Exception exception, LocalizedString errorMessage)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.TopologyDiscoveryManager.EndGetServerFromDomain(IAsyncResult ar)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.TopologyService.<>c__DisplayClass10.<EndGetServerFromDomainDN>b__f()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.TopologyService.ExecuteServiceCall(Action action)

Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:23 PM
  • Hi,

Is “admin.riddlesdown.local” your old domain?

Please use the following tool to check whether there are any information about the old domain:

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2003/tools/Exchange-Troubleshooting-Assistant.html

Thanks,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsfl@microsoft.com

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Yes, admin.riddlesdown.local is the old domain that has been removed.

I am using Exchange 2013, that article and tool only mentions Exchange 2003.  I can't even get it installed on Windows Server 2012.

• Edited by adamf83 Monday, July 29, 2013 4:22 PM Ammendments
    Monday, July 29, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Solved.  I had 3 or 4 migration batches with users that were previously on the old domain.  Users had been migrated but the migration batches not removed before the domain.  Exchange was trying to contact the domain when attempting to remove the batches.

I used Get-MigrationBatch | Remove-MigrationBatch -Force to remove the batches and the errors are no longer occuring

• Marked as answer by adamf83 Monday, July 29, 2013 7:05 PM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 7:05 PM