none
RPC over https on Exchange 2007

Question

• thanks for your time.  so i wanted to go over a change that has been made in our Exchange 2007 SP2 environment.  here's what's going on:

-re-IP'd Exchange (mailbox and cas/hub servers)

- new DC but was not a GC in the same site  as Exchange; fixed that. made it a global catalog server.

- 2 CAS servers running Outlook Anywhere. 

ISSUE:

-rpc over https would hang Outlook when users tried to send/reply to an email address.  Connection status would report 'Directory' was stuck on connecting

-when I disable IIS on one of the CAS servers the 'Directory' would be 'Established'

initially I thought it was an IIS permissions but after some more digging I realized it was something to do with connection with the Directory.  And then was told we put in a new DC in the site.  made that into a GC.  what I missed was that the old DC/GC had a setting for ncacn_http:6004 in the registry.  I am wondering if this was the missing link.  from other posts it looks like it is.  I am going to enable IIS on both CAS servers and see how it goes.  

Friday, November 11, 2011 5:32 AM

Answers

• so the DSProxy entry and the ValidIP Ports are no longer necessary in Exchange 2007? I know we had put in place when we first put in Exchange 2007 about 5years ago.

As far as I have been aware, they have never been necessary. I have never had to make those changes. Simple enable the feature and wait. Exchange does everything that is required.

If the deployment is as old as you say then it was probably one of the first implementations on RTM, and as with many things in the Microsoft world, it takes a little while for best practises to become established. It wouldn't surprise me if people were following Exchange 2003 instructions to get things to work.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 9:09 AM

All replies

• no go. that didnt work.  any suggestions?

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:16 AM
  • There should be no reason to make any registry changes for Outlook Anywhere - that is an Exchange 2003 thing.

Therefore I would suggest that you remove any entries that you have manually made. Then disable Outlook Anywhere on all CAS servers. Wait for the event log entry to report it has been disabled.

Remove the RPC Proxy component from Windows Components and delete the RPC and RPC with Cert virtual directory in IIS manager.

Then run iisreset to write the change to the IIS metabase.

At that point you can reinstall the RPC Proxy and enable Outlook Anywhere in Exchange again. Do nothing else. Wait for the event log entry to report it is enabled.

I would also suggest that you update to Exchange 2007 SP3 with the latest rollup, SP2 is very old.

Simon.

Friday, November 11, 2011 4:53 PM
  • appreciate the response Simon.  we have 4 cas servers total worldwide.  I dont want to impair users overseas.  on the local servers I will try the steps above.  

so the DSProxy entry and the ValidIP Ports are no longer necessary in Exchange 2007? I know we had put in place when we first put in Exchange 2007 about 5years ago.

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:50 PM
  • so the DSProxy entry and the ValidIP Ports are no longer necessary in Exchange 2007? I know we had put in place when we first put in Exchange 2007 about 5years ago.

As far as I have been aware, they have never been necessary. I have never had to make those changes. Simple enable the feature and wait. Exchange does everything that is required.

If the deployment is as old as you say then it was probably one of the first implementations on RTM, and as with many things in the Microsoft world, it takes a little while for best practises to become established. It wouldn't surprise me if people were following Exchange 2003 instructions to get things to work.

Simon.

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:09 AM