none
howto make exchange server 2003 send a copy of all incoming email to a specific mailbox of public folder

Question

•  

Hi there,

can anyone tell me how I can make exchange 2003 to send a copy of all incoming email to a specific mailbox or public folder?

Here's the situation:

When I go to ESM en look at the properties for the mailbox store I can check the "archive all messages sent or received... "

I can also have it archived to a mailbox. So far that works fine, except... I don't want all the email archived that is sent from clients within our organization to other clients within our organization or that is sent from clients within our organization to clients outside our organization.

I just want the email that is sent from people outside our organization to clients within our organization to be archived to a specific mailbox or public folder. Also I don't want to use any third party software.

Is there a solution for this?

Thank you

Kind Regards,

Marcel

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Marcel,

We don't have luck here...

1. It is not possible natively in exchange to archive only received mails for mailboxes, as well as it is not possible to set archiving/journaling on public folder store, public folder posts can not be journaled.

2. It is also not recommended to set public folder as a archiving recipients.

Troubleshooting message journaling in Exchange Server 2003 and in Exchange 2000 Server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843105.

Question:
    What is the recommended object to use as the journal recipient?
    Answer:
    Exchange mailboxes are the recommended journal recipients. If you decide to use a contact or custom recipient, you can create an Outlook rule to redirect this mail outside the organization. We do not recommend public folders when you are using envelope journaling. Public folders do not archive all kinds of reports. This is by design.

Note: In Exchange 2007 you can do that through Transport Rules.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:10 PM
  • Well, workaround would be below.

Set the delivery option with a forwarder on individual mailboxes to forward a copy of all received mails to an archiving mailbox (you can set forwarder for bulk of users with ADModify.net).

But limitation is, this will archive all the mails which are received from externally to your organization and internally also...

Now workaround for this limitation is, you can set a server side rule in your archiving mailbox to delete mails which have a word "@YourDomain.com" in From address.

I would sugget you to try this for a mailbox first, hope this workaround helps you... 

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Marcel,

We don't have luck here...

1. It is not possible natively in exchange to archive only received mails for mailboxes, as well as it is not possible to set archiving/journaling on public folder store, public folder posts can not be journaled.

2. It is also not recommended to set public folder as a archiving recipients.

Troubleshooting message journaling in Exchange Server 2003 and in Exchange 2000 Server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843105.

Question:
    What is the recommended object to use as the journal recipient?
    Answer:
    Exchange mailboxes are the recommended journal recipients. If you decide to use a contact or custom recipient, you can create an Outlook rule to redirect this mail outside the organization. We do not recommend public folders when you are using envelope journaling. Public folders do not archive all kinds of reports. This is by design.

Note: In Exchange 2007 you can do that through Transport Rules.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:10 PM
  • Yeah, I was affraid of that. I've read a lot about this.

I was hoping someone figured out a miraculous way to make it work.

thanks anyway.

Kind regards,

Marcel

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:48 PM
  • Well, workaround would be below.

Set the delivery option with a forwarder on individual mailboxes to forward a copy of all received mails to an archiving mailbox (you can set forwarder for bulk of users with ADModify.net).

But limitation is, this will archive all the mails which are received from externally to your organization and internally also...

Now workaround for this limitation is, you can set a server side rule in your archiving mailbox to delete mails which have a word "@YourDomain.com" in From address.

I would sugget you to try this for a mailbox first, hope this workaround helps you... 

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Thank you very much... This is what I'm talking about when I ask for some miraculous way to make it work.

I just configured it a little different (just explaining this for other people who might walk into this).

In ESM at the properties page for the Mailbox Store, I checked the "archive all messages sent or received..." and pointed it to a mailbox. After that I loggod on to a client computer with the account of that specific mailbox and created a server side rule in outlook 2003 that will delete all email which have a word "mydomain" in the sender's adress.

(when I filtered on the word "@mydomain.nl" it did not work, so I had to filter just on the word "mydomain").

This works perfectly and saves me the trouble of using third party tools.

Once again... Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Marcel

Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Kewl , and yah, some additional points to think about…

Change the mail item retention period to less number for the archiving mailbox because it is going to delete internal mails but will keep in dumpster until retention period is over.

Also it is recommended to keep archiving mailbox on separate database and don’t enable journaling on it.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:24 PM
  • I use the email archiving method with the "...archive all messages sent or received..." option in the mailbox store, mentioned above. Using the Outlook Web Access to log into the chosen Archiving user mailbox, I created filters for each user to catch any incoming / outgoing emails, and put it in each a separate folder created for each user.

However I have run in to a problem. A few of the users constantly have very large attachments on emails, and within 6 months the Archiving mailbox has been maxed out to the 2gb.  I read about the ADSIEdit.msc tool that is available, and increased the size limit to 10gb.

I would like to slow the growth of the archive mailbox by only keeping a copy of the actual text or email without any attachments. Does anyone have an easy solution for this without having to purchase archiving software?

Also, is it possible for me to go in the Archived copies of the emails and delete all attachments that have already been stored?

Any suggestions are much appreciated-

Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Can you set a forwarder on individual mailboxes to forward a copy of all received mails and send mails?
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:59 PM