none
WhiteSpace in Exchange 2010

Question

• Hello,

Is there any way to remove white space from Exchange 2010 mailbox database other than below options ?

• Offline Defragmentation
    • Moving mailboxes to a new database and deleting old database

I have  exchange 2010 SP2 with two DAG member in DAG environment .

Thanks in Advance !

Tarique Noorain

Friday, August 02, 2013 7:50 PM

Answers

• Best way to move mailboxes from one DB to another. Your best bet is to create a new DB an move the mailboxes over.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/messaging_and_beyond/archive/2012/05/10/cleaning-up-whitespace-in-exchange.aspx

Dinesh S.

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:30 PM

All replies

• No its one or the other and Moving Mailboxes is probably your best choice

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Friday, August 02, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Is there a reason why you'd want to do that? If you remove the whitespace in the database it will immediately begin to grow. As people remove e-mail (which is just one reason whitespace is present) the whitespace will be start to appear in the database.

Unless you have, say, more than 30% whitespace I'd say your database is doing just fine.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, August 03, 2013 2:25 AM
  • I use the move mailbox option.

Our databases grew to extremes while we were on litigation hold.

Monday, August 05, 2013 5:44 PM
  • Best way to move mailboxes from one DB to another. Your best bet is to create a new DB an move the mailboxes over.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/messaging_and_beyond/archive/2012/05/10/cleaning-up-whitespace-in-exchange.aspx

Dinesh S.

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:30 PM
  • Good choice. :-)

Moving the mailboxes to another database and then destroying the original database is the least disruptive way to get rid of that unused space.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Monday, August 05, 2013 10:02 PM