none
How to configure an IP Block List Provider like zen.spamhaus.org in Exchange 2013 RTM?

Question

• Is this a correct script to configure BlockList Providers in Exchange 2013 RTM?

& $env:ExchangeInstallPath\Scripts\Install-AntiSpamAgents.ps1

Restart-Service MSExchangeTransport

Add-IPBlockListProvider -Name "Spam haus" -LookupDomain zen.spamhaus.org -AnyMatch $true

>

And why do I not see any windows updates anymore like in exchange 2012?

Microsoft Exchange Server Standard Anti-spam Filter Updates v3.3.11801.452

Installation date: ‎8-‎10-‎2012 5:29

Installation status: finished

Type update: important

Microsoft Exchange Server Standard Anti-spam Filter Updates keep the heuristics for the anti-spam content filter current.

More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=76087&clcid=0x409

Help and support:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=76087&clcid=0x409

Sunday, November 04, 2012 9:01 AM

Answers

• Add-IPBlockListProvider -Name zen.spamhaus.org -LookupDomain zen.spamhaus.org -AnyMatch $True worked for me.  Thank you!

Please read the other posts in this discussion, although you seem to be able to add an RBL provider this does not work. Exchange 2013 does no longer support the Connection Filtering Agent.

Did my post help? Please use "Vote As Helpful", "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

• Marked as answer by Applegate NL Monday, September 23, 2013 9:10 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:21 AM
  • The problem is that you try to configure a RBL on the Exchange 2013 Mailbox server. Unfortunately this is a task being performed by the Connection Filtering Agent, not the Content Filtering agent. Content filtering is available, Connection Filtering not. This is different than you're probably used to do in Exchange 2007 and 2010.

And yes, this is a quite an issue in my opinion. From your username I assume you're Dutch, maybe read this for a little more background: http://jetzemellema.blogspot.nl/2012/11/exchange-2013-ondersteunt-geen-realtime.html

Did my post help? Please use "Vote As Helpful", "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I can't see anything wrong in you commands, but see if it helps to break them up a bit like:

cd $exscripts
    .\install-AntispamAgents.ps1
    Add-IPBlockListProvider -Name zen.spamhaus.org -LookupDomain zen.spamhaus.org -AnyMatch $True

Regarding updates, I don't think any has been released yet for Exchange 2010.

If you have the Malware Protection Enabled, but may want to update that.

Download Engine and Definition Updates
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj657471(v=exchg.150).aspx

Martina Miskovic

Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:06 AM
  • Hello,

I aggree with Martina. And is there any update?

Cara Chen

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 5:47 AM
  • Malware updates:

I did a succesful malware check with X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H* in EICAT.TXT as an attachment (see exchange 2013 technet help on malware).

>

And I found the malware updates back in the log: see link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj657471(v=exchg.150).aspx

latest malware update (see application log: filter on FIPFS):

MS Filtering Engine Update process performed a successful scan engine update.

Scan Engine: Microsoft

Update Path: http://forefrontdl.microsoft.com/server/scanengineupdate

Last Update time:‎2012‎-‎11‎-‎06T17:55:02.000Z

Engine Version:1.1.8904.0

Signature Version: 1.139.1454.0

>

Question: is this also the anti-spam update?

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Hello,

From the result, the engine updates were downloaded successfully.

Per my knowledge, I consider the engine updates is not the anti-sapm update.

Cara Chen

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:58 AM
  • Unfortunately the Connection Filtering agent is not available when you install the Anti Spam agents on an Exchange 2013 server with the Mailbox role.

This is different from Exchange 2010, when you install the Anti Spam agents on a Hub Transport server you can use all agents except the Attachment Filtering one. On Exchange 2013 you can't use the Attachment Filtering and the Connection Filtering agent.

More information:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201691(v=exchg.150).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj619283(v=exchg.150).aspx (See Anti-spam and anti-malware)

• Proposed as answer by Jetze Mellema Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:53 PM
    • Edited by Jetze Mellema Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:57 PM typo
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Content filtering in exchange 2013:

In Exchange 2013, when you enable the anti-spam agents in the Transport service on a Mailbox server, you can't manage the agents in the Exchange Administration Center (EAC). You can only use the Exchange Management Shell.

cd $exscripts
    .\install-AntispamAgents.ps1

Malware in exchange 2013:

Out of the Box

IP Block-list in echange 2013:

Add-IPBlockListProvider -Name zen.spamhaus.org -LookupDomain zen.spamhaus.org -AnyMatch $True

@jetze: i do not see the problem.....

• Proposed as answer by Shakaryan Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:59 AM
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:28 PM
  • The problem is that you try to configure a RBL on the Exchange 2013 Mailbox server. Unfortunately this is a task being performed by the Connection Filtering Agent, not the Content Filtering agent. Content filtering is available, Connection Filtering not. This is different than you're probably used to do in Exchange 2007 and 2010.

And yes, this is a quite an issue in my opinion. From your username I assume you're Dutch, maybe read this for a little more background: http://jetzemellema.blogspot.nl/2012/11/exchange-2013-ondersteunt-geen-realtime.html

Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:38 PM
  • Thanks for the article. I agree it is an issue.
    Friday, November 09, 2012 8:00 AM
  • the fact that exchange 2013 doesnt allow for ip-block list is enough for us not to buy it. staying with 2010 until we can put in zen.spamhaus.org

as a rbl provider.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:53 PM
  • your syntax would work fine in exchange 2010, but not in 2013. the connection filtering agent has been discontinued by microsoft in

exchange 2013. their answer to this issue is to buy exchange 2007 or 2010 edge servers so that you can have the same spam filtering

you had with 2007 or 2010.  the gui interface for managing the agents that are there has also been discontinued. they probably didnt want

to spend the r&d money to have the gui and the connection filtering agent. this is now becoming a patern with microsoft, new versions lack functionality. i predict that eventually they will loose the server market altogether.  but what do i know after being in this sh.t industry for 30 years.

their new server 2012 looks like windows 8 and operates like it metro and all. and it's sloooow too.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:45 PM
  • Add-IPBlockListProvider -Name zen.spamhaus.org -LookupDomain zen.spamhaus.org -AnyMatch $True worked for me.  Thank you!
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:00 AM

Please read the other posts in this discussion, although you seem to be able to add an RBL provider this does not work. Exchange 2013 does no longer support the Connection Filtering Agent.

• Marked as answer by Applegate NL Monday, September 23, 2013 9:10 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:21 AM
  • This help form me, and work as need exchange 2013 sp1. I have CAS and MAILBOX together

Install-TransportAgent -Name "Connection Filtering Agent" -TransportService FrontEnd -TransportAgentFactory "Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ConnectionFiltering.ConnectionFilteringAgentFactory" -AssemblyPath "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll"

Add-IPBlockListProvider -Name zen.spamhaus.org -LookupDomain zen.spamhaus.org -AnyMatch $true -Enabled $true

Enable-TransportAgent -TransportService FrontEnd -Identity "Connection Filtering Agent"

Restart-Service MSExchangeFrontEndTransport

SOURCE 

• Edited by AgrisV Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:11 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:10 AM
  • Just for clarity, this is not supported so don't use this in a production environment.

Also, with Exchange 2013 SP1 the Edge Transport role is back where we can configure Connection Filtering with a RBL again.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:22 PM