none
Outlook 2013 Out Of Office cannot be display because the server is currently unavailable

Question

• Hi

Currently our users using Outlook 2013 is getting the following prompt when trying to access their automatic reply settings:
    "Your automatic reply settings cannot be displayed because the server is currently unavailable".

This only happen on Outlook 2013  and it works for 2007, 2010 and OWA users. Our Exchange server version is 2007. any advise ?

Monday, December 02, 2013 12:08 AM

Answers

• There is a known issue with Outlook 2013 connecting to Exchange 2007 after installing on of the latest hotfixes. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2837618

From the above KB:
    If you are using Outlook to connect to a Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 mailbox:
    ◦ You receive an error message that resembles either of the following when you try to configure Automatic Replies (Out of Office):
    Your automatic reply settings cannot be displayed because the server is currently unavailable. Try again later.
    ◦You cannot retrieve Free/Busy data for calendar scheduling.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, December 06, 2013 6:05 PM

All replies

• Hi

On the machine running Outlook 2013 can you hold down ctrl, right click the outlook icon in the taskbar and select "Test Email Autoconfiguration"? Enter your username and password and test autodiscover. Does it resolve correctly?

Monday, December 02, 2013 5:03 AM
  • i had try that before... but the result was same.. even i reinstall whole office 2013 also cant work..

any other advise on this ?

Monday, December 02, 2013 5:42 AM
  • Hi Claret,

Using Test E-mail AutoConfiguration can help us to check if AutoDiscover Service works for your Outlook 2013 client. Please post the Log and Result tab here.

Then, find the OOF url in the Result tab and type it in your IE address. Access it and see if there is any error message return.

If so, locate the error code in your IIS log and post the relevant detail error message here.

Regards,

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 02, 2013 9:34 AM
  • Outlook Automatic Replies depend on Exchange Web Services to be available for reading and writing the settings back to your mailbox.

Run Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory |FL *url* See internal and external URL properties on the virtual directory and make sure those URLs are accessible from the computer where outlook 2013 is installed. In normal cases, you should get the web service response upon entering the credentials.

If web services URL is accessible from the computer you need also ensure that autodiscover works perfectly fine for this user. Autodiscover XML supplies the URL information to outlook clients.Autodiscover related issues can be due to several reasons:

1. Incorrect DNS configuration.

2. Incorrect certificate names

3. Incorrect SCP configuration in AD

4. Incorrect exclusions set in IE properties when using a proxy server.

Milind Naphade | MCTS:M (Exchange 2007 and 2010) | http://www.msexchangegeek.com RSS Feed

Monday, December 02, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Outlook Automatic Replies depend on Exchange Web Services to be available for reading and writing the settings back to your mailbox.

Run Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory |FL *url* See internal and external URL properties on the virtual directory and make sure those URLs are accessible from the computer where outlook 2013 is installed. In normal cases, you should get the web service response upon entering the credentials.

If web services URL is accessible from the computer you need also ensure that autodiscover works perfectly fine for this user. Autodiscover XML supplies the URL information to outlook clients.Autodiscover related issues can be due to several reasons:

1. Incorrect DNS configuration.

2. Incorrect certificate names

3. Incorrect SCP configuration in AD

4. Incorrect exclusions set in IE properties when using a proxy server.

hi ... 

maybe can you teach me in detail how to run the get-webservicesvirtualDirectory command ?

i am quite new in this thing, no idea how to start.. 

thanks in advance...

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 12:47 AM
  • Hi Claret,

Using Test E-mail AutoConfiguration can help us to check if AutoDiscover Service works for your Outlook 2013 client. Please post the Log and Result tab here.

Then, find the OOF url in the Result tab and type it in your IE address. Access it and see if there is any error message return.

If so, locate the error code in your IIS log and post the relevant detail error message here.

there was no error return.. what i see from there is all about xml code.
    Tuesday, December 03, 2013 1:00 AM
  • Hello, we have the exact same scenario.  We have users mostly using Outlook 2007, OOO works fine.  It also works fine in OWA.  As far as i have been able to test Outlook 2010 also appears to work fine.  However I am running Outlook 2013 (to test/learn) as well as a few users run Office 2013 at a remote office (they were purchased OEM with the PC) and they also have the issue of not being able to set their OOO. 
    I have confirmed that the test autoconfiguration does return the correct URLs for internal and external respectively and if i run the above CMD Shell command everything appears to line up correctly.  Autodiscover works fine for configuration and setup of a new Outlook profile for all version of Outlook, as well as phones.

I did run a testexchangeconnectivity test and got the following results: (our domain name has been changed to %ourdomain.com% in the output)

Attempting each method of contacting the Autodiscover service.
         The Autodiscover service was tested successfully.

Additional Details

Elapsed Time: 2688 ms.

Test Steps

Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://%ourdomain%.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
            Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.

followed by:

Testing the SSL certificate to make sure it's valid.
         The SSL certificate failed one or more certificate validation checks.

Additional Details

Elapsed Time: 269 ms.

Test Steps

The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer is attempting to obtain the SSL certificate from remote server %ourdomain%.com on port 443.
         The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer successfully obtained the remote SSL certificate.

Additional Details

Remote Certificate Subject: E=root@server1.%ourdomain%.com, CN=server1.%ourdomain%.com, OU=SomeOrganizationalUnit, O=SomeOrganization, L=SomeCity, S=SomeState, C=--, Issuer: E=root@server1.%ourdomain%.com, CN=server1.%ourdomain%.com, OU=SomeOrganizationalUnit, O=SomeOrganization, L=SomeCity, S=SomeState, C=--.
    Elapsed Time: 237 ms.
        Validating the certificate name.
         Certificate name validation failed.
          Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it

Additional Details

Host name %ourdomain%.com doesn't match any name found on the server certificate E=root@server1.%ourdomain%.com, CN=server1.%ourdomain%.com, OU=SomeOrganizationalUnit, O=SomeOrganization, L=SomeCity, S=SomeState, C=--.
    Elapsed Time: 0 ms.

What i don't understand is no where that i can locate in Exchange, IIS, output in the Exchange CMD shell, or the cert is there a reference to server1.  So i am not sure where that pulls from and whether that is the cause of this or not. 

Any advice/suggestions/input would be appreciated. 

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Hi,

Returning xml code in IE determines your OOF works well.

Since the issue only happens with Outlook 2013 version, so I suspect the issue is more related to Outlook 2013 configuration and installation.

Regards,

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 05, 2013 11:14 AM
  • There is a known issue with Outlook 2013 connecting to Exchange 2007 after installing on of the latest hotfixes. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2837618

From the above KB:
    If you are using Outlook to connect to a Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 mailbox:
    ◦ You receive an error message that resembles either of the following when you try to configure Automatic Replies (Out of Office):
    Your automatic reply settings cannot be displayed because the server is currently unavailable. Try again later.
    ◦You cannot retrieve Free/Busy data for calendar scheduling.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, December 06, 2013 6:05 PM