none
smtp 530 authentication failure

Question

• I recently set up a second separate email domain on my exchange server. I did it through adding a recipient policy to allow this email domain. I applied to an OU I created all of these separate users for this email domain. Sending and receiving works just fine internally between the different email domains on exchange. Sending email externally also works fine from this new email domain. However receiving external email fails. It gives the following error -

Reporting-MTA: dns;bay0-omc1-s16.bay0.hotmail.com
    Received-From-MTA: dns;hotmail.com
    Arrival-Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:52:03 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822;user@newdomain.com
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;530 authentication required for relay (#5.7.1)

what am I missing on my exchange server? The existing domain emails work just fine. Please help.

Monday, July 23, 2007 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you also add a MX record for the new domain?

Do you have any SMTP scannerst between the exchange server and the internet?

Leif

Monday, July 23, 2007 4:54 PM
  • I do have an smtp record for this domain. The company does also employ a smtp scanner. We use GFI mail essentials as our virtual smtp server. It scans emails and forwards onto the exchange server.It has been doing this for the existing domain emails and has been and still is functioning. I added the new domain onto this virtual smtp server as a domain I receive emails for.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 5:13 PM
  • Hi,

check Access Control(authentication and relay) at SMTP Virtual server

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:50 AM
  • Did you ever figure out what the problem was?  I am having a similar problem.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 8:43 PM
  •  

I believe that what I forgot was to add the smtp domain into the virtual smtp server. i had added on that server's spam filter, but not in the actual smtp server itself. It has been a while but I believe once I added it in that error stopped occurring. I hope that helps.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 9:16 PM