none
The Module DLL C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Owa\auth\exppw.dll failed to load

Question

• Hi,

I continue to receive the below error log. Only started after few days ago.

The Module DLL C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Owa\auth\exppw.dll failed to load

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-IIS-W3SVC-WP
    Date:          4/03/2012 9:13:54 PM
    Event ID:      2280
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      DC.domain.local
    Description:
    The Module DLL C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Owa\auth\exppw.dll failed to load.  The data is the error.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-IIS-W3SVC-WP" Guid="{670080D9-742A-4187-8D16-41143D1290BD}" EventSourceName="W3SVC-WP" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">2280</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-04T10:13:54.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>199766</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>DC.domain.local</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="ModuleDll">C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Owa\auth\exppw.dll</Data>
        <Binary>05000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Saturday, March 03, 2012 10:21 AM

Answers

• I would suggest you perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Remove the exppw.dll entry from applicationhost.cofig (c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config)Note: Remember take a backup before you remove the line.
    2. Then registered the exppw.dll by following the below steps:

1. IIS Manager -> Select the Server Name in the left Pane -> Open Modules in the middle pane.
    2. Click on ‘Configure Native Modules’ in the right pane -> Click the button ‘Register’ -> Type the name as ‘exppw’
    3. Browse and select the path of above file as: c:\Programme Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Client Access\OWA\Auth\exppw.dll.
    4. Made sure that the 'exppw.dll' is only present at OWA level and not at any of the top heirarchy.
    5. Then ensured for this module in OWA (VDir), ‘Module Type’ is set to ‘Native’ and ‘Entry Type’ is ‘Local’
    6. Run IISreset /noforce

Let me know if this works. Thanks. 

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:27 AM
  • I had this same issue and these steps fixed the problem for me, thanks

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Thank you Fiona, your solution work for me :-).

Michal

Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:54 AM

All replies

• I have exact the same warning. OWA login page is blank. After enabling debugging this error shows up in the eventlogs.

Have you the same ?

Saturday, March 03, 2012 11:48 AM
  • On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 10:21:19 +0000, JJLSuper wrote:

>I continue to receive the below error log. Only started after few days ago.
    >
    >
    >
    >The Module DLL C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Owa\auth\exppw.dll failed to load

If the error code is "5" then it's an "access denied" error. Check the
    permissions on the DLL and the directory.

>
    >
    >
    >Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-IIS-W3SVC-WP Date: 4/03/2012 9:13:54 PM Event ID: 2280 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: DC.domain.local Description: The Module DLL C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Owa\auth\exppw.dll failed to load. The data is the error. Event Xml: <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-IIS-W3SVC-WP" Guid="{670080D9-742A-4187-8D16-41143D1290BD}" EventSourceName="W3SVC-WP" /> <EventID Qualifiers="49152">2280</EventID> <Version>0</Version> <Level>2</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Opcode>0</Opcode> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-04T10:13:54.000000000Z" /> <EventRecordID>199766</EventRecordID> <Correlation /> <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" /> <Channel>Application</Channel>
    ><Computer>DC.domain.local</Computer> <Security /> </System> <EventData> <Data Name="ModuleDll">C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Owa\auth\exppw.dll</Data> <Binary>05000000</Binary> </EventData> </Event>

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 5:51 PM
  • The authenticated users have READ permission

SYSTEM and Administrators have FULL control permission. I'm currently logged on as administrator.

Any other tip?

Monday, March 05, 2012 12:27 PM
  • On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 12:27:36 +0000, JJLSuper wrote:

>The authenticated users have READ permission
    >
    >SYSTEM and Administrators have FULL control permission. I'm currently logged on as administrator.

WHICH "administrator"? The DOMAIN "administrator" or the local machine
    account's "administrator". Or do you mean a "normal" user that's a
    member of the server's local "Administrators" group?

Does this happen to "normal" users that use OWA?

If the account is a "priviledged" account (check the account's
    "adminCount" property for a value greater than zero) then inheritence
    is blocked and it may be failing for not having a permission on the
    user that should be inherited from some parent in the AD.

>Any other tip?

Buy low, sell high?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Monday, March 05, 2012 10:19 PM
  •  

I would suggest you perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Remove the exppw.dll entry from applicationhost.cofig (c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config).

Note: Remember take a backup before you remove the line.

1. Then registered the exppw.dll by following the below steps:

1. IIS Manager -> Select the Server Name in the left Pane -> Open Modules in the middle pane.
    2. Click on ‘Configure Native Modules’ in the right pane -> Click the button ‘Register’ -> Type the name as ‘exppw’
    3. Browse and select the path of above file as: c:\Programme Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Client Access\OWA\Auth\exppw.dll.

1. Made sure that the 'exppw.dll' is only present at OWA level and not at any of the top heirarchy.
    2. Then ensured for this module in OWA (VDir), ‘Module Type’ is set to ‘Native’ and ‘Entry Type’ is ‘Local’
    3. Run IISreset /noforce

Fiona Liao

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:25 AM
  • I would suggest you perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Remove the exppw.dll entry from applicationhost.cofig (c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config)Note: Remember take a backup before you remove the line.
    2. Then registered the exppw.dll by following the below steps:

4. Made sure that the 'exppw.dll' is only present at OWA level and not at any of the top heirarchy.
    5. Then ensured for this module in OWA (VDir), ‘Module Type’ is set to ‘Native’ and ‘Entry Type’ is ‘Local’
    6. Run IISreset /noforce

Fiona Liao

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:27 AM
  • Hi Fiona,

Didn't get a chance to do that, I uninstalled and reinstalled IIS, now a new error message comes up as shown below. I shouldn't have done this, i think I made the problem worst?

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error

The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

<fieldset><legend>Detailed Error Information</legend>
    Module IIS Web Core
    Notification BeginRequest
    Handler Not yet determined
    Error Code 0x80070021
    Config Error This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the section is locked at a parent level. Locking is either by default (overrideModeDefault="Deny"), or set explicitly by a location tag with overrideMode="Deny" or the legacy allowOverride="false".
    Config File

\\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\owa\web.config

Requested URL https://remote.domain.com.au:443/OWA
    Physical Path C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\owa
    Logon Method Not yet determined
    Logon User Not yet determined

</fieldset>

Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:32 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay response.

AFter reinstalling IIS, did you reinstall CAS role? If no, do it and try again.

Fiona Liao

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:53 AM
  • I had this same issue and these steps fixed the problem for me, thanks

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Thanks for your confirmation.  your experience will help others who has encounter the same issue.

Fiona Liao

Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:54 AM
  • Thank you Fiona, your solution work for me :-).

Michal

Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:54 AM
  • Hi Fiona,

i had this same issue and these steps don´t fixed the problem for me. We have no problems with owa but every second we get this error in the log.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:29 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

Please feel free to submit a new thread for the issue you are encountering. Thanks..

Fiona Liao

Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:07 AM
  • I have opened it here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/d887cbec-8031-4df1-86a8-0ed090545fc3

• Proposed as answer by Thomas Zöller Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:09 AM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:09 AM
  • I am having the same error as described Event ID 2280 exppw.dll failed to load. The data is the error.  This was created after I did the Exchange 2010 SP3 install / update.

I followed Fiona_Liao's steps and everything looks correct.  After reboot I still have the same error in the event viewer.  Just to be sure I followed the steps again with the same issue after reboot.

Anyone have another fix?

Thursday, March 07, 2013 6:19 PM
  • I am having the same error as described Event ID 2280 exppw.dll failed to load. The data is the error.  This was created after I did the Exchange 2010 SP3 install / update.

I followed Fiona_Liao's steps and everything looks correct.  After reboot I still have the same error in the event viewer.  Just to be sure I followed the steps again with the same issue after reboot.

Anyone have another fix?

I fixed my issue by running BPA and it stated that the Client Access Role, Hub Trans Role, and Mailbox Roles were not installed / configured correctly.  BPA said to rerun setup.

After running SP3 again I do not have any errors in the event logs and the server is functioning correctly!

• Proposed as answer by IMITAZ Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:51 PM
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:51 PM
  • "I fixed my issue by running BPA and it stated that the Client Access Role, Hub Trans Role, and Mailbox Roles were not installed / configured correctly.  BPA said to rerun setup.

After running SP3 again I do not have any errors in the event logs and the server is functioning correctly!"

IMITAZ, Same issue and your recomendation worked for me. Found the same thing after running BPA. Reinstalled SP3 and the rollup 2. It it looking good now.

• Edited by Boyhowdie Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:09 PM
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:07 PM