none
Outlook 2007/Exchange 2007 reply to all includes self

Question

• We have been using Outlook 2007 client for over a year.  Two weeks ago we migrated our Exch03 server to Exch07.  After the migration when someone does a "reply to all", their name is included on the To: line and they get a copy of the message.

Why is this happening and how do I get it to stop?

Thanks,

Darhl
    “We will never be an advanced civilization as long as rain showers can delay the launching of a space rocket.” -George Carlin
    Monday, January 25, 2010 11:23 PM

Answers

• It turns out that is not by design.  The offline address book (OAB) was not downloading properly to the client machine.  Once I got the OAB to download properly the "reply to all" no longer included the sender in the To line.

“We will never be an advanced civilization as long as rain showers can delay the launching of a space rocket.” -George Carlin
    • Proposed as answer by Andy DavidMVP Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darhl Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:18 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:41 PM

All replies

• That's by design.
    Users can get around this by expanding the group ( click the  Plus sign when adding it to the TO:)  and removing their name.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:27 AM
  • I do not believe it is by design.  Google reported similar answers but it did not work that way when we were on Exchange 2003, it has only been doing it after the update to Exchange 2007.  And it only does it when the user is connected using Outlook Anywhere.  It does not do it when they are in the office and directly connected to the domain.

If it was by design, is it an Outlook 2007 design or an Exchange 2007 design?  If it is an Outlook 2007 design why did it not do it with Exchange 2003?  If it is an Exchange 2007 design why does it only do it when connected over Outlook Anywhere and not when directly connected to the domain?

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:18 PM
  • I've never heard of the Outlook Anywhere issue.
    THere is software however that is intended to deal with the issue when it occurs:
    http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook/Reply-To-All-Monitor.asp

More Info: My name keeps appearing when I click reply to all. Why does this happen?

"If you have more than one e-mail address, Outlook will include your mail in the reply to all as it cannot parse the address to whom the original mail was sent. If there is only one mail address for you in Outlook, it will not include you in the reply to all."

- Milly Staples [Outlook MVP]

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:42 PM
  • It turns out that is not by design.  The offline address book (OAB) was not downloading properly to the client machine.  Once I got the OAB to download properly the "reply to all" no longer included the sender in the To line.

• Proposed as answer by Andy DavidMVP Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darhl Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:18 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:41 PM