none
Exchange 2010 RTM to Exchange 2010 SP1 environment cleanup

Question

• Hi All,

I've come into an Exchange 2010 environment that has an Exchange 2010 RTM (v. 14.0) server with the  DB/Hub Transport roles as well as a Public Folder DB.  The Exchange environment also contains 4 other servers all with Exchange 2010 SP 1 (v. 14.1).  2 servers are Hub Transports and 2 are DB roles... (the 2 DB servers are apart of a DAG cluster).

The intention of the original installer was to do a migration into the SP 1 environment instead of doing an SP 1 upgrade on the RTM system.  At some point, then RTM system is supposed to go away.. and i'm not sure if we're going to get him back anytime soon.

What i'm looking for is some information on the best way to clean this up so we're running fully on the SP 1 environment while removing the RTM server.  Would it be best to continue the method the original technician started with migrating everything to the SP 1 environment?  (This would include all system mailboxes and the public folder database that resides on this server).  OR would it be best to upgade the RTM to SP 1, get it consistent with the other systems??

My concerns are that i'm not certain if i can treat the 2010 RTM side just as if it were an Exchange 03 or 07 system as part of a migration.  The 2 systems report things differently.. obviously because Microsoft has made some drastic changes between the 2 systems by removing some EMC options in SP 1 while adding others.  I've noticed that the MRM doesn't report the scheduled times to run between servers.  RTM says SP 1 is scheduled to Never run, but SP 1 tells me it is. SP 1 tells me it's scheduled to run, but RTM is not.  So there are conflicts that seem to be appearing between the systems.

Has anyone ever encountered a configuration like this before?  Could someone give me an idea on the best way to get the systems cleaned up properly?

Thanks,

JB

JB

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:14 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can upgrade RTM to SP2 without going to SP1.

Well if you uninstall the repercussions will be nothing as long as you don't want to have this RTM server anymore.
    Upgrading will be time saving and easy

Cheers,

Gulab Prasad,
    MCITP: Exchange Server 2010 | MCITP: Exchange Server 2007
    MCITP: Lync Server 2010 | MCITP: Windows Server 2008
    My Blog | Z-Hire Employee Provisioning App

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:57 PM

All replies

• Upgrade RTM to SP1 is better option.
    If it's possible upgrade all the servers to SP2.

Gulab Prasad,

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Could i do a direct upgrade from RTM to SP 2 without going through the SP 1 upgrade?

What would be the reprecussions if i uninstalled the RTM version vs. upgrading it?

JB

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Yes, you can upgrade RTM to SP2 without going to SP1.

Well if you uninstall the repercussions will be nothing as long as you don't want to have this RTM server anymore.
    Upgrading will be time saving and easy

Cheers,

Gulab Prasad,

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:57 PM