none
Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid. Exchange 2010 and Office 2010

Question

• I have a couple mailboxes that have the following error message in the Outlook preview pane:

"Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid"

This only appears to affect emails after a certain date (in this case sometime last week).  Emails older than last week look to be fine and are viewable in Outlook.  The emails that are not viewable in Outlook 2010 can be viewed normally in OWA.

The event log lists the following coresponding error:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Outlook
    Date:          9/1/2011 3:42:46 PM
    Event ID:      25
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Description:
    Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Outlook" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">25</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-09-01T22:42:46.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>20076</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid.</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

This appears to be a mailbox level problem.  When I try to open the mailbox on any Outlook 2010 computer, I get the same result.  Also, when I give myself full permission to the mailbox in question, it gives me the same error in Outlook.

I am running Exchange 2010 SP1 Update 3 Version 3. Anyone else encountered this issue?  From talking with the end user, they are doing nothing unsual that would cause this.

I have tried moving the mailbox to a different mailstore.  Also, have tried running the repair mailbox request with all the switches BUT that found no errors.  This has happened once before and the issue resolved itself afterhours, likely due to some afterhours maintenance fixing something..

Thanks is advance.

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Joey,

Anyway you found a workaround to handle this problem.

I deem I have no other ideas on this issue right now.

If you do want to know the root cause you can open a case with microsoft support.

Thanks for your informaion.

Best Regards!
    • Marked as answer by JoeyC646 Friday, September 09, 2011 8:45 PM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 6:38 AM
  • I think I found the solution for my problem later on.  Turns out that an anti-spam software called Cloudmark was likely causing the issue due to a bug in their software. 

"Under certain conditions some messages scanned by CSE would not open
         in Outlook, although it was still possible to access them via Exchange's
         webmail interface.  The problem has been addressed and fixed."

I have since updated the antispam software and haven't seen the issue since.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by JoeyC646 Monday, February 20, 2012 1:53 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 1:53 AM

All replies

• Another thing to add to this, when I export this mailbox to a PST, the same issue occurs in the PST file.  Almost like the mail messages got corrupt somehow in deliver BUT OWA looks just fine?
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Hi,
    Have you installed Service Pack1 for Office 2010?
    If not, I think you should cause it might solve your problem.
    Martina Miskovic
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 7:01 PM
  • I have installed the Service Pack for outlook but same result when looking at the emails in a PST...  I did temporarly fix the issue by disabling and recreating the mailbox in Exchange.  Looks like the new emails are coming in correctly but the old ones are unreadable from the last few days when the issue was occuring...

This has happenned 3 times now.. the other 2 times, the issue resolved itself overnight..

Any other ideas why this could be occuring?

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Hi Joey,

Could you please remove all the Outlook Add-in and try again?

Best Regards!
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 2:06 AM
  • I have removed all Add-ins and I still cannot read the emails in the PST.  I ran the inbox repair tool on the PST and the emails are still unreadable.  All you see in the preview pane is "This item cannot be displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents".  When you attempt to open it, you get the error message "Cannot open this item".

I am thinking that Exchange corrupted the box somehow but all the checks come out clean AND the mailbox looks fine in OWA.  Not sure where else to check on my Exchange server, as I am getting no errors and the issue is sporatic.  Recreating the mailbox seems to solve the problem but I don't know what is causing it..

Thanks

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:47 PM
  • Hi Joey,

Could you check whether those problematic mailbox are in the same DB?

It might reach the size limit or something else related to this DB.

Or you can move those mailbox to other DB for testing.

Best Regards!
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 2:57 AM
  • They are in different mailbox databases.  Databases sizes aren't too big, maybe 70 GB? I tried moving the mailboxes to a different database but the same results occured.  Here is what I think is going on:

1. Something in Outlook gets out of wack and starts corrupting mail messages.  That corruption is then transferred in the exchange mailbox and no matter what computer you use to view those emails, they won't be viewable in Outlook.  OWA is fine though, so the issue is only with Outlook.

The problem is rare for me at the moment, only a few users out of a couple hundred have had the issue.  Deleting the mailbox and recreating the outlook profile seems to solve the issue for new email BUT the old email during the bad time period are still unviewable.  The workaround for that is to forward the email to yourself through OWA THEN it is viewable in Outlook.  As to why it is occuring, I can't find an answer.  Seems like a bug to me with Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010 SP1.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Hi Joey,

Anyway you found a workaround to handle this problem.

I deem I have no other ideas on this issue right now.

If you do want to know the root cause you can open a case with microsoft support.

Thanks for your informaion.

Best Regards!
    • Marked as answer by JoeyC646 Friday, September 09, 2011 8:45 PM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 6:38 AM
  • I think I might do that.  If I come up with any helpful information, I will be sure to repost it here.

Thanks for the help.

Friday, September 09, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Hi all, any update on this?

Sounds very similar to a probelm i have with 2 users. Some appointments on the calendar, they open, try to accept - gives the error ballon "Could not complete the opeartion. one of more paramaneter values are not valid." however, in OWA, the same event can be accepted. I tried 4-5 different computers with the same user - and on every Outlook client - same error.

Tried starting outlook with various switches. How can one be certain the problem is with the Mailbox - if it behaves well in OWA? Due to this i am reluctant to try the suggestion of recreating the mailbox - user has about 35 events per week - calendar filled for next 10 months - recommendation is NOT to copy any events from backup / but recreate them.

Cheers!

• Unmarked as answer by JoeyC646 Monday, February 20, 2012 1:53 AM
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:42 AM
  • I think I found the solution for my problem later on.  Turns out that an anti-spam software called Cloudmark was likely causing the issue due to a bug in their software. 

"Under certain conditions some messages scanned by CSE would not open
         in Outlook, although it was still possible to access them via Exchange's
         webmail interface.  The problem has been addressed and fixed."

I have since updated the antispam software and haven't seen the issue since.

Hope this helps.

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:53 AM